Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rewriting the ancient history of Stonehenge

Still Waters

Island-based designer and engineer Garry Lavin has set out to revolutionise ideas on how the ancient monument of Stonehenge was built.

The current accepted theory is that each three-quarter tonne stone was rolled for more than 200 miles on logs, but Mr Lavin disagrees.

He thinks the historic monument could have been built using wicker basket constructions to roll the boulders all the way from Wales.

"I constructed a 0.5-metre diameter structure in hazel and willow into which I placed a sharply rectangular 40kg stone from a collapsed dry stone wall," he said.

"I packed the gaps inside with reeds and rolled it down a hillside. The stone fell out at the bottom but my construction was still intact.

"The project was then taken to the edge of the local canal and pushed in and it floated with about an eighth of the mass protruding above the water, but easily towable along the canal."

So could this really have been the way our ancient ancestors chose to achieve such an incredible feat of engineering as Stonehenge?

Mr Lavin says woven structures were used widely at the time so it makes sense to assume they could also have been used in this way.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielost

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• ShadowSot

• booNyzarC

Wow, that is creative thinking. I look forward to seeing if the 5 tonn stone holds up.

Well what do you know,Stonehenge came gift wrapped. Good thinking though. We are all free to have a theory.Flying caucers must have anti gravity power to hover silently. So maybe it is an alien structure. What about the Pyramids

so they used a wheel instead of a roller???

now if it was me and i was going to take rocks from the west side of the island to the east side i would float them. in fact the wheel idea would work for both getting the rock to and from the water and as the float.

Edited by danielost

It's too bad Edward Leedskalnin went to his grave with his secrets for building Coral Castle. It is allegedly said he was able to move those megalithic coral stones by himself with ease.

Also, a while back, Wally Wallington demonstrated how he was able to mount a huge block up.

Edit: Found the video!

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

he was wrong about one thing. the block was the lever. but as i have told people here once you move the first stone the rest are easy.

my thing has always been how did they get the stones on top!!?? we can talk all day long about how they even moved the stones from one side of the island to the other, but how did they set the ones on top of the others?? I watched a show where these guys,using technology from back then,tried to recreate stonehenge. it was a series and the whole thing too a few months. anyway, they finally figured out a way to get the stones in the ground, but they couldn't figure a way to stack the stones on top. the show ended with that!! thats what perplex's me. all these ancient structures, still perfect in design,still standing after 1,000's of years. hell we cant recreate most the stuff with todays technology. And the thing is, they will all still be standing after all our buildings fall.

my thing has always been how did they get the stones on top!!?? we can talk all day long about how they even moved the stones from one side of the island to the other, but how did they set the ones on top of the others?? I watched a show where these guys,using technology from back then,tried to recreate stonehenge. it was a series and the whole thing too a few months. anyway, they finally figured out a way to get the stones in the ground, but they couldn't figure a way to stack the stones on top. the show ended with that!! thats what perplex's me. all these ancient structures, still perfect in design,still standing after 1,000's of years. hell we cant recreate most the stuff with todays technology. And the thing is, they will all still be standing after all our buildings fall.

if you watched the video, it showed how they could have gotten the stones high enough and moving it would be as easy as the vidoe showed, ie moving it into place.

if you watched the video, it showed how they could have gotten the stones high enough and moving it would be as easy as the vidoe showed, ie moving it into place.

I haven't seen the video, but do they actually show a 5-ton block being moved into place at that height? If not I don't believe it for a second. No one can explain how Stonehenge was built, and anybody who pretends to know is lying, or just throwing around unsubstantiated theories. In all probability our ancestors were much more advanced than we give them credit for, and we'll never truly know how advanced they actually were.

I haven't seen the video, but do they actually show a 5-ton block being moved into place at that height? If not I don't believe it for a second. No one can explain how Stonehenge was built, and anybody who pretends to know is lying, or just throwing around unsubstantiated theories. In all probability our ancestors were much more advanced than we give them credit for, and we'll never truly know how advanced they actually were.

i think it was a 3 ton block and they could have moved it to any hieght and it took only one man to move it and raise it.

No one can explain how Stonehenge was built? So the completely reasonable and plausible methods of construction that people have come up with over the years, and proven to be totally feasible are just lies and unsubstantiated theories?

Musta' been aliens eh? That makes so much more sense... :blink:

Hey BooNy it always comes back to aliens.Well Stonehenge is a chicken shed compared to pyramids,and there are so many of them.A bit of antigravity would have been useful.

I have seen several films in the past explaining possibilities. Lots of guys and determination and a few centuries could have done the job

It's too bad Edward Leedskalnin went to his grave with his secrets for building Coral Castle. It is allegedly said he was able to move those megalithic coral stones by himself with ease.

Also, a while back, Wally Wallington demonstrated how he was able to mount a huge block up.

Wasn't exactly with ease, took him 30 years.

He used block and tackle and a motorized lift.

I never mentioned anything about the complete structure.

"It is allegedly said he was able to move those megalithic coral stones by himself with ease." is what I posted.

For one man to create the entire structure in 30 years, it took time, dedication, and patience. He found a way to move one block at a time, allegedly by himself, which is more than I can say about me trying to pull a feat like that. LOL!

I don't really know how stonehenge was build,but to the people who build it,they are really good in Engineering and good builders.

Edited by kulas910

I wasnt aware of him using a motorized lift ?

TiP.

I wasnt aware of him using a motorized lift ?

TiP.

Great to see you TiP!

I realize that I'm not adding to the topic with this, but I'm honestly happy to see you man. Hope all is going well.

--

Carry on with the topic and all. Apologies for the interruption. :blush:

Great to see you TiP!

I realize that I'm not adding to the topic with this, but I'm honestly happy to see you man. Hope all is going well.

--

Carry on with the topic and all. Apologies for the interruption. :blush:

Hey Boony , I have sent you a pm brother , no need to upset the great mods we have here at UM !

Continue with the topic please :rolleyes:

TiP

he used not many, but he still used tools that are made today like all that wood and the latter,it was in the perfect shape he needed it to be, back then they didnt do that. idk this is very creative, but thats not going to be the answer to how stonehenge happened. :hmm: