Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Swearing in The Holy Bible

Arpee

There is swearing in the bible. Some people say that some of the words weren't swear words, but I

will talk about how swear words developed in another video. Here are a few verses to show you

the type of language that is used in the bible...I'm reading from the "Good book" so technically, if

you believe that the bible is the good book then you should find nothing vulgar about me quoting

these bible verses...

"For long ago I broke your yoke and burst your bonds; but you said, 'I will not serve.' Yes, on

every high hill and under every green tree you bowed down like a whore." (Jeremiah 2:20)

"But Rabshakeh said, Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words?

hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink

their own p*** with you?" - Isaiah 36:12

"So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the

morning light any that p***eth against the wall." - 1 Samuel 25:22

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus

my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may

win Christ..." (Philippians 3:8, KJV)

Ok, so this last one needs a little more context for understanding. The part which says "and do

count them but dung". In modern English this would say "I consider them as filth". However,

"dung" is an old word which actually used as the way that the S word is used today which refers to

feces.

And here is a really good one:

"Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him, Thou son of the perverse

rebellious woman, do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion,

and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness?" (1 Samuel 20:30, KJV)

For these bible verses, I chose the King James version because this is the only version of the bible

which all consider to be inspired from god. Some do not accept them newer translations. In the

King James Bible this was translated as "Son of a perverse rebellious woman". In hebrew, what

Saul said was "ben 'avah marduwth," which is very vulgar and it really means "Son of a B".

There are also times when Jesus calls someone a "fox" or a "viper" which is as bad as calling

someone a "Male donkey" or a "female dog" today.

I really don't understand why saying swear words is such a big deal. The bible doesn't even say

that it's a sin to use them it basically says

"Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless

that taketh his name in vain." - Exodus 20:7

This means that saying "Oh my God" or "Sweet Jesus!" is a sin but saying "What the hell!?" isn't.

Also, why are people forced into these rules anyway. Even if someone believes that swearing at

all is a sin why is the whole society viewing swearing as something bad. Most of the time when I

hear "hell" or "damn" I don't think "oo, someone said a swear word". Instead, I am thinking "Wow,

they must feel really strongly about this since people only use those words when they are

emotional!" and I think it's great. I think people should be using more swear words to intensify

their speak and express how they feel about certain subject. In Japanese, they have ways of

phrasing sentences so that the sentence can be more emotional and intense and when translated

into english it is usually expressed as a swear word to get the emotion out so why not allow this

creativity in english?

Next video, I will back track where these "evil" word came from and how theySwearing and The "Holy" Bible

There is swearing in the bible. Some people say that some of the words weren't swear words, but I

will talk about how swear words developed in another video. Here are a few verses to show you

the type of language that is used in the bible...I'm reading from the "Good book" so technically, if

you believe that the bible is the good book then you should find nothing vulgar about me quoting

these bible verses...

"For long ago I broke your yoke and burst your bonds; but you said, 'I will not serve.' Yes, on

every high hill and under every green tree you bowed down like a whore." (Jeremiah 2:20)

"But Rabshakeh said, Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words?

hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink

"So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus

my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may

Ok, so this last one needs a little more context for understanding. The part which says "and do

count them but dung". In modern English this would say "I consider them as filth". However,

"dung" is an old word which actually used as the way that the S word is used today which refers to

feces.

"Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him, Thou son of the perverse

rebellious woman, do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion,

For these bible verses, I chose the King James version because this is the only version of the bible

which all consider to be inspired from god. Some do not accept them newer translations. In the

King James Bible this was translated as "Son of a perverse rebellious woman". In hebrew, what

Saul said was "ben 'avah marduwth," which is very vulgar and it really means "Son of a B".

There are also times when Jesus calls someone a "fox" or a "viper" which is as bad as calling

I really don't understand why saying swear words is such a big deal. The bible doesn't even say

"Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless

This means that saying "Oh my God" or "Sweet Jesus!" is a sin but saying "What the hell!?" isn't.

Also, why are people forced into these rules anyway. Even if someone believes that swearing at

all is a sin why is the whole society viewing swearing as something bad. Most of the time when I

hear "hell" or "damn" I don't think "oo, someone said a swear word". Instead, I am thinking "Wow,

they must feel really strongly about this since people only use those words when they are

emotional!" and I think it's great. I think people should be using more swear words to intensify

their speak and express how they feel about certain subject. In Japanese, they have ways of

phrasing sentences so that the sentence can be more emotional and intense and when translated

into english it is usually expressed as a swear word to get the emotion out so why not allow this

creativity in english?

Next video, I will back track where these "evil" word came from and how they came to be "evil"...

whoo! came to be "evil"...

whoo!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Joker1982

• Arpee

• Mr Walker

You watched the Simpsons I gather?? Bart cuts out a lot of swear words from the bible, thinks he can't get introuble cuz its the bible hey??

• 1 month later...

Also, in Levitcus, it say when an issuse goes forth from u, u r unclean till evening. i take this as a refrence to masterbation. And in Deutoronomy "A b****** shall not enter into the congregation" Jesus himself was a b****** child, so this seen like a contradiction.

And somewhere in Plsams, it mentions dashing the heads of ur enemies childen againest the rocks.

Anyone who has bothered to read the Bible knows there are ugly words and ugly events in it, what exactly is the purpose of your video? Who is your intended audience?

Are whore, dung and p*** curse words? Wow.

And yeah, what Iamsson said. I've never read the whole bible, nor have I ever studied it, but even I know there are ugly, angry, naughty things in it. Who thinks there isn't?

Also, in Levitcus, it say when an issuse goes forth from u, u r unclean till evening. i take this as a refrence to masterbation. And in Deutoronomy "A b****** shall not enter into the congregation" Jesus himself was a b****** child, so this seen like a contradiction.

Curse words are relative, as such B-tchin might mean more than your wife yelling at you.

Those were the old days and meanings have been squed IMO. Yes ther is alot of bad dogma in the Bible. But I subscribe to all the blessed Love thats in there, and weed out the bad.

If One could take the good out of every religion, and kick the bad to the curb, He would be left w/ The essence Of God. (Love)

So, I think all should deffinatly cherry pick what is true and what is not. Check it against you'r heart if not sure. The Heart knows.

God would say the same.

Love Omnaka

Edited by Omnaka

Those are bad words. Congratulations on finding them.

Later, someone is going to say the word "balls" and I will be unable to stop giggling because I'm willing to suspend context for humor and shock value.

Later, someone is going to say the word "balls" and I will be unable to stop giggling because I'm willing to suspend context for humor and shock value.

How 'bout "Space Balls"? Does that increase the giggle factor any? :P

name='Arpee' timestamp='1297468758' post='3778608']

these bible verses...

feces.

creativity in english?

Next video, I will back track where these "evil" word came from and how theySwearing and The "Holy" Bible

Ok so where are the swear words? I see a lot of colloquial words and words once used more than they are today such as dung p*** etc which wre once simple descriptive words, but, "swear words"?

Only if you are about 10 years old. Second; Saying christ or lord is not taking his name in vain unless you intend it in vain. So if it is a prayer or a conversation thats perfectly acceptable. However if you use it as a swear word or with a group of swear words, and attach negative meaning to it, then it is unacceptable. But only god can tell if, when a bloke hits his thumb with a hammer and says "jesus christ," he is swearing or praying. :innocent:

There are 3 reasons i dont use swear words. First they are lazy and uncreative. Many more colourful adjectives can be used. Second they represent a loss of emotional control which i find unacceptable. Third they do genuinely offend certain people of differnt ages, or beliefs, or cultures, or just sensitivities, and i see no need to speak words that offend anyone and add notthing to a dialogue or understanding.

Edited by Mr Walker

There are 3 reasons i dont use swear words. First they are lazy and uncreative. Many more colourful adjectives can be used. Second they represent a loss of emotional control which i find unacceptable. Third they do genuinely offend certain people of differnt ages, or beliefs, or cultures, or just sensitivities, and i see no need to speak words that offend anyone and add notthing to a dialogue or understanding.

I couldn't agree more Mr Walker. :tu:

Do not covet ur nieghbor's ass. What if it's a girl? :innocent:

LOl so many possible funny answers to that one :devil: Safest is, dont covet anyone's ass. (or any other part of their anatomy, or livestock) Its the coveting that is the problem.

You all know that Ship High In Transit was never meant as a swear... Off topic but I just thought I would throw that in there. I hope I got Transit right.

LOl so many possible funny answers to that one :devil: Safest is, dont covet anyone's ass. (or any other part of their anatomy, or livestock) Its the coveting that is the problem.

Well if it's showing don't you want to covet it for them so no one see's ? Lol

If saying "son of a B****" isn't a swear word, then I don't know what is....

I think this is a VERY GOOD find.

Why?

What purpose does it serve other than for you to say "If the bible swears so I can I LOL".

Those words have been there for some time, I'm sure. Longer than your mom and dad have been telling you not to use those words in polite company, at least. Get over it.

Why?

What purpose does it serve other than for you to say "If the bible swears so I can I LOL".

Those words have been there for some time, I'm sure. Longer than your mom and dad have been telling you not to use those words in polite company, at least. Get over it.

Get over what exactly?

Congrats in pointing out the obvious. that the swear words were there for such a long time..!!

People, this is not an attempt to justify using "bad words" in polite company, nor is it an attempt to say to the bible does it so I can too, or the bible is evil since it has swear words. If you think this is what I'm trying to say, it's obvious you didn't read the entire original post. Next time read the entire post so you can know what the discussion is actually about...

Edited by Arpee

People, this is not an attempt to justify using "bad words" in polite company, nor is it an attempt to say to the bible does it so I can too, or the bible is evil since it has swear words. If you think this is what I'm trying to say, it's obvious you didn't read the entire original post. Next time read the entire post so you can know what the discussion is actually about...

This is why I asked who your audience was and what your intent was. Maybe it got lost in your initial post, but I didn't see anything that explained the purpose or the audience. Can you clarify that now?

But the word B**ch is the term used for a female dog... so I wouldnt class it as a swear word...

But the word B**ch is the term used for a female dog... so I wouldnt class it as a swear word...

Even when it's used in the context of "Son of a B**ch"?

Edited by Arpee

Even when it's used in the context of "Son of a B**ch"?

Well that is just in many cases seen as slang... like when someone fall off their bike.. they yell son of a b***ch that freakin hurt

I say it a lot lol

Well that is just in many cases seen as slang... like when someone fall off their bike.. they yell son of a b***ch that freakin hurt

I say it a lot lol

Hey, I never even knew you rode a bike. Im sure you'll get the hang of it soon :devil: