Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EVP

Godofcats

What's up people, havn't been on in a long time.

I want to ask people about EVPs. To me these so called voices of the dead are nothing but people mistaking normal noises and making a big deal about them. I'm a paranormal researcher and I hate feeling like the bad guy when somebody in my group comes to me with an EVP and I have to tell them that it could be anything. Most of the time all it they are normal sounds being picked up that people don't notice at the time. Noises such as clothing ruffling, shoes skuffing, noses sniffing, people talking in the background, some noise of a car or animal in the distance and so on. On all these paranormal shows most of the "evidence" these people get are EVPs, and not very convincing ones either. So what do other people think? Am I right or out of line?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the1truebat

• Nadia B.

• Godofcats

• Ignus Fatuus

EVP is nothing more than cross modulation, noise floor and people's imagination/wishful thinking. I will probably be called a prick by some.

I agree with you 100%. If you have to manipulate and massage data then it will always be suspect. I have yet to hear clear EVP that hasn't been enhanced and processed. I also think that transcommunication video and audio is a bunch of crap, too.

Edited by phantasia

Funny, the other day I was recording my bird talking from the other room, and it sounded like a person whispering weird s*** in the background. I was gonna post it and let people take a shot at it and see what they said but then I felt bad... lol

But EVP is very doubtable, is is most "proof".

What's up people, havn't been on in a long time.

I want to ask people about EVPs. To me these so called voices of the dead are nothing but people mistaking normal noises and making a big deal about them. I'm a paranormal researcher and I hate feeling like the bad guy when somebody in my group comes to me with an EVP and I have to tell them that it could be anything. Most of the time all it they are normal sounds being picked up that people don't notice at the time. Noises such as clothing ruffling, shoes skuffing, noses sniffing, people talking in the background, some noise of a car or animal in the distance and so on. On all these paranormal shows most of the "evidence" these people get are EVPs, and not very convincing ones either. So what do other people think? Am I right or out of line?

Same. I've never heard anything that didn't sound just like an ordinary sound. Most of the time, it seems to be poor quality recording equipment that distorts these into strange noises.

Just one thing, could you have a look at this video and see what you think is making the sounds (if you believe the information with it) - video is on page 11

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=198849&st=150

Yeah, I would be convinced if an actual good experiment of sorts was performed to get the results. But mostly what people do is talk into a recorder while they walk around making more noise for the recorder. Plus they usually have a number of people around making noises to. Not to mention other technology being fiddled with. Then when they play it back they hear all this stuff and go crazy. I would be a little inpressed if people could learn to sit still and shut up while a recorder is on. The "it wasn't me making the noise" saying is just stupid.

I agree I have not seen or "heard" of a decent EVP that wasn't just poop for lack of a better word. PBS channel here recently aired "Haunted Texas: Peyton Colony" to fill some late night air time. (I think the show was a good 5 yrs old or more). A real stinker! And they tried so hard to tell me what I was supposed to hear on their recording. I was thinking "are they making a living at this"?

I agree I have not seen or "heard" of a decent EVP that wasn't just poop for lack of a better word. PBS channel here recently aired "Haunted Texas: Peyton Colony" to fill some late night air time. (I think the show was a good 5 yrs old or more). A real stinker! And they tried so hard to tell me what I was supposed to hear on their recording. I was thinking "are they making a living at this"?

You watched the show, didn't you? ;)

It's not about the quality of what you've heard so far, it's about looking for the 'one' that will convince you. The thrill of the chase, as it were. (And yes, I know "thrill" is a bit extreme.) :)

EVP is nothing more than cross modulation, noise floor and people's imagination/wishful thinking. I will probably be called a prick by some.

You prick ... :lol:

Yet I do agree with you to a point. I believe residual noise can be at play and know that for some scientific reason past echoes can resinate. Yet I have never had to use an EVP here to hear it. Not to say that an EVP would pick up more of these snap crackles and pops but who knows.

A half century ago the Boog was heavily logged. Spend enough time here and eventually you will hear a tree fall that does not hit the ground. Freaky??? Yes. But it does not mean these falling trees or the sounds of tin getting beat on or echoes from noises that you make resounding seconds later and much louder has anything to do with ghosts.

I have never been a firm believer in EVP's. However I do know for fact that residual noise is certain. I will probably be called a prick by some also ... ;)

There are a couple things about EVP's I can't stand. One thing is this classification system people have made up, like there is a set standard on EVP. Oh this is a class A,B or C. It is only that because the investigator labelled it that way. It is just another cheap attempt for ghost hunters to sound more scientific than they really are.

If you have to manipulate and massage data then it will always be suspect. I have yet to hear clear EVP that hasn't been enhanced and processed.

Pretty much. It makes me ill when someone talks about "well we put it through this computer program, then scrambled this, and moved this around, and played with the highs and lows, and blah blah, ran it through the incinerator and blah blah, and OMG LISTEN TO IT NOW".

Then you hear something that sounds like an a/c cutting on or a dog twitching in it's sleep. Like Phantasia said, if you have to manipulate the hell out of it to make your proof, then it's not proof at all. :no: The mind hears and sees what it wants to, and there's a name for this. I'm not going to look it up, I'm sure someone here knows what it is.

BTW, OMGOMGOMG I saw the virgin mary's face in my cheerios this morning! :w00t:

Kidding. That's just preposterous.

It was actually Ozzy.

Is it possible that people could be picking up noise from radios or cell towers?

Is it possible that people could be picking up noise from radios or cell towers?

Absolutely - The Troll

Absolutely - The Troll

Thanks, The Troll! :tu:

I was curious because I have a weirdo "friend" that gets all these evp like recordings, and I noticed where she goes to trample on the memory of the deceased is usually near cell towers or those mega antenna thingys.

Ozzy saw the virgin mary's face? I didn't know Ozzy ate cheerios.

Dang Bat you love to pick at me huh? :lol: NO, I said I saw Ozzy in the Cheerios, but really that was a lie too. I don't eat Cheerios. :ph34r:

Dang Bat you love to pick at me huh? :lol: NO, I said I saw Ozzy in the Cheerios, but really that was a lie too. I don't eat Cheerios. :ph34r:

I'm sorry, I'll be good from now on. I promise.

I've heard some evp's, unaltered ones. The problem I have with them is the more you listen, the more it seems like your hearing stuff that's not there in white noise.

I'm sorry, I'll be good from now on. I promise.

I've heard some evp's, unaltered ones. The problem I have with them is the more you listen, the more it seems like your hearing stuff that's not there in white noise.

Here's the thing, though. People's brains work to make everything seem to make sense. Your head wants to explain everything. It's an order opposed to chaos thing. Your brain wants to make order, and it does that by applying what's known to what's heard/seen. It's called Pareidolia, for those that didn't want to clarify and make me put on my big girl science boots. <_< Geez, lazy people. :lol:

I'm sure you've heard of this before, but what happens is you hear/see something that doesn't make immediate sense. Your brain kicks in and says, well this is not good, let's try to decipher it. Because it likes to know what's going on you see. So you think you hear something. Maybe can make something out. The more you listen to it over and over again, the more clear it becomes.

An example. When you hear a certain song... say you're listening to Ozzy and he's in a drug-induced stupor... I know .. imagine that, right? So, you can't understand a word he's saying. So he's singing along and you hear something like "unsexual chicken tickle". :ph34r: Anyway, you listen more and more and this becomes clearer and clearer to you.

Now, by the same token, let's say you read the lyrics to the song, and it says something totally different. You listen again and have an "Oh DUH" moment. Of course that's what he's saying! This explains why when someone tells you up front what they hear in an evp, most tend to hear the same thing.

And I refuse to be good. Sorry. :P

You forgot to mention the effect of an over active imagination, or even the firm resolve to hear something no matter what.

You should know by now, I cannot behave myself for longer than 30 seconds.

Both of those things are from the brain trying to create order from chaos. :P Just some seem to jump wayyyyy away from simple "I think I heard it" to the "OMG IT'S CHARLIE AND HE SAYS HE'S GOING TO STAB ME IN MY THROAT ONE MORNING WHILE MAKING BREAKFAST" thing.

Well maybe some of us should be a little more specific, and not quite so vague. I was merely trying to help.

So, now I'm confused, who's making breakfast? 'Cuz if it's Charley, then I'm not eating anything that looks like it's got ketchup on it.

I ain't afraid of no ghost.

:o I thought I was pretty specific. And you leave Charlie alone. He's my own private ghostie that will run anyone off that he doesn't like being in my place. Just ask my maintenance man. :ph34r: I should ask now... do you take ketchup with your hashbrowns? :innocent:

By the way, "should be a little more specific, and not quite so vague".... yeah.. that's the same thing. *hides* :rofl:

Here's the thing, though. People's brains work to make everything seem to make sense. Your head wants to explain everything. It's an order opposed to chaos thing. Your brain wants to make order, and it does that by applying what's known to what's heard/seen. It's called Pareidolia, for those that didn't want to clarify and make me put on my big girl science boots. <_< Geez, lazy people. :lol:

I'm sure you've heard of this before, but what happens is you hear/see something that doesn't make immediate sense. Your brain kicks in and says, well this is not good, let's try to decipher it. Because it likes to know what's going on you see. So you think you hear something. Maybe can make something out. The more you listen to it over and over again, the more clear it becomes.

An example. When you hear a certain song... say you're listening to Ozzy and he's in a drug-induced stupor... I know .. imagine that, right? So, you can't understand a word he's saying. So he's singing along and you hear something like "unsexual chicken tickle". :ph34r: Anyway, you listen more and more and this becomes clearer and clearer to you.

Now, by the same token, let's say you read the lyrics to the song, and it says something totally different. You listen again and have an "Oh DUH" moment. Of course that's what he's saying! This explains why when someone tells you up front what they hear in an evp, most tend to hear the same thing.

And I refuse to be good. Sorry. :P

Nice reply. But I think this is going beyond pareidolia. Pareidolia is making sense of things, but that doesn't mean people automaticly hear a voice. Like when I hear the noises I think of movements and sounds people make. I just think people want them to be voices. I think it's more wishful thinking and I think many of the people force themselves to believe it's a voice.