Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intuition

Bendy Demon

As I understand it, your brain is always picking up information 24/7, this information is being constantly processed and re-processed and the seemingly "relevant" results are then leaked into the "conscious" part of the brain and this is basically what we call "intuition". Am I correct so far? At least somewhat?

So I was musing about things and thinking about how this "intuition" is being placed on a sort of pedestal, as if it is something almost mystical and one is considered almost noble for listening to intuition.

So if the intuition is really just a result of cerebral processing or at least a by-product of it AND considering just how inaccurate and faulty our brains can be then why should we listen to this "intuition"? How can we be sure there is such a thing as a "subconscious" and "conscious" mind and why is the intuition being made to seem as if it is something apart and separate from the brain?

I am not trying to be stupid but I am trying to understand why "intuition" is being viewed as something infallible that should be followed?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bendy Demon

• White Crane Feather

• Its Mii

• Habitat

Top Posters In This Topic

Intuition might be thought of as a mode of perception able to be acquired partly through experience, but needing a little native 'nous' to build upon. Certainly, it is largely an informal education, there are no degree courses in common sense. Intuition does not deal in quantifiable, measurable 'data', just cues of a more mercurial nature. But without an active partnership with reason, it will get you in to trouble as much as get you out of it!

Intuition is a good guess that turns out to be correct, but I would argue that it's not a unique way of processing the information coming in or going out, as seen in the [idiot savants.]

The idiot savants who easily calculate large numbers or dates in their heads; going backwards or forwards in terms of centuries, or who play musical instruments by ear without formal training, are not using intuition as we commonly think of it. They are instead, processing information in a unique way, and spitting it out in the correct way.

In Biblical times, the greatest intuitive "gift" of the mind or spirit, was considered prophecy, but can intuition alone explain possibly interpreting the course of history in advance? Perhaps, but I suspect that the answer is more like what we see in the idiot savants. They're processing the information in a unique way, and they may also spit it out in unique, but correct ways. Whereas numbers, dates and music are calculated and verifiable instantaneously, the idiot savant may not have his prediction verified for days, months, or even years.

Although fictional, the character Spock in the Star Trek series is a good example of what I'm talking about. He wasn't called a prophet, but he could process incoming information in such a way to make very accurate forecasts. He wasn't using intuition as we would think of it, but more like we would expect from an idiot savant.

I'll give you an example from these boards. The video clip below came from the thread entitled: [J.Assange Threatens To Name Arab Leaders With CIA Ties]

Given the general subject matter of the thread, and what would shortly follow in history, do you find this seemingly misplaced clip to be just a good intuitive guess, or is the information being processed differently .... with a randomly correct outcome? That is, Arab Leaders threatened + Revolution requested by a lead character = actual historical outcome? The video doesn't really seem to fit the thread, until history takes its course.

You don't kill a myth. That's essentially what he's saying. "Make me a myth, I dare you."

People are always looking for a hero. If you combine a myth with a hero, you get a god.

Now, what if I included the cryptograph below, published by the same person on [Oct. 30, 2010?] The Latin I'll leave to your translator, but I think you'll find that this is not a picture of the status quo. In fact, it's a relatively accurate picture of what is happening on earth, right now.

The Star Trek episode that this clip came from ... was entitled "Mirror, Mirror." If you haven't seen the episode, it's about a parallel universe, and a revolution about to begin on one side of the mirror.

5130964088_f45a575332_z.jpg

What you're seeing is not "intuition," but something very different. However, it is exactly like the idiot savant processes input and output, just another variation of this ability.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Intuition might be thought of as a mode of perception able to be acquired partly through experience, but needing a little native 'nous' to build upon. Certainly, it is largely an informal education, there are no degree courses in common sense. Intuition does not deal in quantifiable, measurable 'data', just cues of a more mercurial nature. But without an active partnership with reason, it will get you in to trouble as much as get you out of it!

No way. Your first impulse is usually correct. Not slways of course but more often. It is very very very easy to lie with data. I used to tutor statistics snd econometrics....... Trust me. But lieing to yourself is a tad harder.

Intuition is subconciouse calculation. It's your genus behind your eyes. It thinks dimentions deep that you are incapable of doing. If there is anything you can have faith in it should be this

Your first impulse is usually correct.

But aren't impulses really more..primal or animal like? Akin to making snap judgments?

At any rate what I was trying to understand is why intuition is being placed on the hypothetical pedestal?

As was mentioned before, since the brain is processing information all the time...the results are not always reliable nor does it necessarily fall within reasonable

parameters of accuracy.

However..our society values logic and reason, and rightly so, but when to listen to that supposed "voice" seems to be laden with uncertainty.

However when observing situations for a long enough time, I am not sure it is such a feat to determine or "predict" likely outcomes based strictly on the observable scenario.

After all choices can be made at any time or something happens from outside the situation that alters the course...point being is that intuition no longer has that mystical appeal once one realizes that the future, for example, cannot really be predicted nor can it be assumed that every event follows a strict pattern.

Anyways..sorry for rambling (my head hurts again). I just am not certain when intuition should, if ever, be listened to or taken into consideration.

i couldn't really tell you how or why we experience intuition. what i do know is that mine is very strong and very accurate, and i tap into it regularly.

i don't believe it is mystical, i think it's a natural tool we have access to.

But aren't impulses really more..primal or animal like? Akin to making snap judgments?

At any rate what I was trying to understand is why intuition is being placed on the hypothetical pedestal?

As was mentioned before, since the brain is processing information all the time...the results are not always reliable nor does it necessarily fall within reasonable

parameters of accuracy.

I think there you answered your question, it is an instinct. When some thing in the lion tells him "Jump now" do you think he questions it?? NO. If he did, he would miss his prey. We are animals, animals that chose reasoning but that doesn't change what we are. This intuition is a gift, almost like another sense. A lot of us are detached from it, but it's there. I think it is what got us to where we are. We are the top predators that's the truth, what do you think got us here? I don't think it should ever be ignored.

The thing you said about our brain constantly preprocessing information and it may not be accurate... Are you serious? It is not accurate when you start doubting it, and changing your mind. There is endless thoughts that our brain is processing per second, so many you don't even realize that you are thinking them. I watched this show on Nova about "Watson" the super computer. In the documentary was something that really caught my attention it was a part that said something about all the little things our brain catches that we don't know. Watson had to be layered over and over with different thought process just to think something we think in one second. For example when you think of a stuffed animal from your child hood... Your brain is thinking about weight, texture, time, emotions associated with it... Every single little detail about that stuffed animal that you may disregard, it analyses so much you can probably smell it. Please don't say our brain fails us, thats ludicrous.

Intuition never fails!

The thing you said about our brain constantly preprocessing information and it may not be accurate... Are you serious?

Yes I am. Since it has been proven -so it seems- that our brains are picking up all manners of input via our senses 24/7..it never stops. We may not be aware of it all the time, how could we? Our conscious minds would be overwhelmed by all the input. However it appears that during the processing the brain "discards" stuff that is not really relevant to ones own immediate daily life.

How often has one been doing something like reading and suddenly becoming aware of a sound like rain falling? Or suddenly becoming aware that it is late and you might miss your bus/train?

When some thing in the lion tells him "Jump now" do you think he questions it?? NO. If he did, he would miss his prey.

True but we are not lions on the veldt either.

I don't think it should ever be ignored.

Why not? We no longer need the same instincts that a lion or a gazelle needs. We no longer need to follow a bison with a club

nor do we need to run from a bear who want to have us as dinner.

Please don't say our brain fails us, thats ludicrous.

It is when you look at a small foil wrapped square and think it is chocolate, take a big bite out of it only to discover it was liver pate. Yucky. Brain failed big time (seriously, it happened to me once)

Intuition never fails!

I don't know. Even when coupled with logic it just seems so...iffy.

Intuition is logic ryu. Millions of years of it. We still need it. Probably more than ever. There are not sabertooth tigers chasing us anymore, but there are large metal monsters that we contend with every day. There are narcasists, psycopaths, and any number of dangers. If the world seems safer now than say 10000 years ago, it's not. We just have better medical advances.

I also have to argu with you on logic and reasoning being a positive advance. Only if this trait propels us into the future and is good for our race was it positive evolutionary turn, it seems as if we are going to destroy ourselves with logic and reasoning. So honestly the moles and aligators will be around a lot longer than we will be. Who really is more advanced...... I don't think its us. Our intelligence has ended up more like a cancerouse mutation than something that is good for us, the planet, and life in general.

Only time will tell, but I don't think it ends well for us. All species pass away, but we are probably the only ones in earths history that will do it to ourselves.

That we don't have to chase our food down doesn't mean we don't need our instincts.

For example when I was a teenager I was at this party that was literally one street over from my moms. Some guy that was there walked up to me and my friend started talking to us being really friendly and nice, but I had this feeling of fear or danger emitting from him. I kept trying to avoid him trough the whole party but he kept trying to talk to us. Later on he kept saying I can give you a ride home, I was like NOOOO thank you.. But he kept asking, I told him I live right down the street, I can walk there if I need to. Some of my friends that were there were like "It's ok, he's a nice guy let him take you home" I did not budge at all!! I had a weird feeling about him. Every time I would see this guy I would get that feeling, it was really strange like discomfort in my chest, like lacking breath. Two years after meeting this guy, I found out him and two other people had turned this girl into a druggie and started pimping her out. The reason I found out was because I went to school with her step sisters, they said she was pregnant and didn't know which one of them was the dad, it could have been one of the 3 or the guy they were selling her to. The baby turned out black so one of the 2 guys was the dad, one of them decided to move to Florida with her and turn her into a stripper. A couple of years later the baby was found dead in the car. Now tell me.... If I had not listened to my intuition that was telling me to stay away from this guy, what could have happened to me?? I could have gotten raped and thrown in a dumpster or ended up pimped out to an old man... Who knows.... I don't want to ever find out so I listen to my intuition. You should to!!

Intuition is logic ryu.

Ah..see? That was simple. That was what I was trying to get at in essence.

Intuition is really just a flashy word for logic but in order to get people to use it, "intuition" had to be invented and presented as something "mystical" or mysterious.

Our intelligence has ended up more like a cancerouse mutation than something that is good for us, the planet, and life in general.

I disagree completely. It is how we use that intelligence that can be disastrous. I'd rather have human intelligence than to run around acting on the merest whim and impulse like a cat or wolf.

Anything can be turned into something dangerous if misused.

I got news for you my friend...... You already run around acting on your impulses. You cannot escape that you to are an animal. Even our interaction right here ( if your going to take reductionist stance ) is going to boil down to instincts and primal

motivations. Just us arguing the matter is Intelectual sparring wich is goin to boil down to pecking order behaviour which is linked to reproduction instincts. ( I'm playing devils advocate)

intution is just a word. It's not that spiritual/paranormal phenomnon can't be explained it just can't be exained by our rules of science. We have limited ourselves by makeing ridged reductionist rules that only have the capability to investigate lower phenomnon not higher.

----Dosnt matter if we destroy ourselves with Inteligence then it was bad For the race..... Bottom line. I know you enjoy your existance over an animals, but you don't know what it's like to be another kind of being so you can't really make that leap.

Intuition might be as simple as our spirit guides just trying to do their job , the number of times that I've ignored my intuition and got it wrong is quite embarrassing , but the older I get the more I tend to rely on what my intuition is telling me , and my pathway has been a little smoother .

Intuition stories anyone?

I was pulling my kids in a bike trailer. At an intersection my walk sign turned green, I went then almost half way through the lane. I just stoped. I wasnt even a conciouse decision. At that moment a teen age girl texting on her phone blasted into the intersection turning right. She missed me by inches. She did not even see me, and her tires were sqeeling a little bit. I did not even jump back.

Every other car in the intersection wittnessed it they were all shaking their heads

intution is just a word.

Yes Seeker, I know. I pretty much said that.

Problem with intuition is that it can be wrong just like all our other cognitive skills, for mundane matters it is adequate but for others...I have not been helped by it.

As for your experience..it is possible you heard the sounds before you were even conscious of it. Regardless it is good no one got hurt.

Anyways..I do find this interesting.

I'd bet Mony on it. So to did driving experience come into play. I bet I herd the aproaching car and knowing that dozens of times I have almost taken a right turn at a red light with people in the crosswalk. My brain put all the information together probably even the pitch if the engine ( Doppler affect ) subconciously Instantly and wham saved me and my kids. I'm not saying it was an angel, but we need intuition. Can it be wrong? Sure, but I would bet less wrong than naught. I have worked with literally thousands of children on an intimate basis . My experience makes me practically psycic. Within moments of being around a child I can tell things like when this kid will grow into their coordination, or how they interact with their parent. Eye contact, coordination, speech habits, posture, listening abilities, all give me clues into the childs home life, inteligence, emotional inteligence, how they will respond to different kinds of teaching styles, issues......etc etc etc. If I spend ten minutes with a kid, I can tell that she was put in daycare, her parents arnt very afectionate, she has an older brother, she is a loner, she is independant and a bit stubborn, as she gets older she is at risk for this this and that,.... I'm so acurate with this stuff sometimes I feel like it's a psycic ability. I literally feel like I know intimatly every child I meet. It's how I make a living.

Now let's say a people can have a little more information come to them on a more psycic level. Would not the brain incorperate that info into intuitive decesions aswell? There by makeing gifted people ( if there is such a thing) highly intuitive.

Within moments of being around a child I can tell things like when this kid will grow into their coordination, or how they interact with their parent. Eye contact, coordination, speech habits, posture, listening abilities, all give me clues into the childs home life, intelligence, emotional intelligence, how they will respond to different kinds of teaching styles, issues......etc etc etc.

Perhaps so but a persons' development and future "potential" is contingent upon so many possible variables that it is impossible to rend an accurate "prediction" of what any person will be like when they age.

You might be able to guess, within a reasonable degree, as to what they may be like but to make predictions on how they will turn out? I am not so sure...a persons' future is not written in stone or in the clouds.

Intuition, everyone has it. Some have it more fine-tuned than others. Here's a thread you might be interested in. Maybe, maybe not. :tu:

Question about the brain