Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man-Eating Elephant In India

ohio state buckeyes

to Sevenof Seven so how do you explain vegetarian humans? were meant to be omnivores. maybe this elephant is just insane?

I am a vegetarian. As humans, we have a choice and make choices according to decision making, reason, and the ability to discern between things that we like and dislike and make selections based on that. There are those that argue both sides..I know people who argue vehemently that humans are meant to be carnivorus. The bottom line is... as humans, we can be anything we want to be by making a choice to be that thing that we chose. I suppose animals are able to make choices, but to say that animals are able to make choices in exactly the same way as humans do is not a reasonable premis. Normally, animals follow naturally given traits. Maybe this elephant is insane. I don't know this elephant personally. It is highly unlikely that an elephant who is a vegetarian would suddenly decide to eat human beings.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lucky7

• ships-cat

• Pezmo

• Bendy Demon

Omnivores have teeth for both vegetables and meat, herbivores only have the teeth for vegetation, it's not physcially impossible for them to eat meat but it's not natural for them to do so.

I never said one thing about any kind of teeth for the purpose of eating either meat or vegetables. Elephants are vegetarians. Makes no sense for an elephant to go around eating 17 people. It's just an excuse to kill the elephants because they are 'eating people'. What elephants do is destroy crops, knock down trees and eat every leaf, bush, plant, flower, vegetable, grass in their path. It is easier for this story to come out before the next slaughter of elephants. There is a great demand for ivory. Have you not seen the news recently about the slaughter of elephants for their ivory? The japanese are going crazy for it... the slaughter of elephants won't stop until they (the elephants) are all destroyed by ignorance and human greed.

Edited by Sevenof Seven

I never said one thing about any kind of teeth for the purpose of eating either meat or vegetables. Elephants are vegetarians. Makes no sense for an elephant to go around eating 17 people. It's just an excuse to kill the elephants because they are 'eating people'. What elephants do is destroy crops, knock down trees and eat every leaf, bush, plant, flower, vegetable, grass in their path. It is easier for this story to come out before the next slaughter of elephants. There is a great demand for ivory. Have you not seen the news recently about the slaughter of elephants for their ivory? The japanese are going crazy for it... the slaughter of elephants won't stop until they (the elephants) are all destroyed by ignorance and human greed.

Sorry I was replying to StarChild 83's comment rather than yourself, I've just not figured out that multiquote business yet, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sorry I was replying to StarChild 83's comment rather than yourself, I've just not figured out that multiquote business yet, sorry if that wasn't clear.

no worries. thanks. :)

to Sevenof Seven so how do you explain vegetarian humans? were meant to be omnivores. maybe this elephant is just insane?

Humans are omnivores, we can eat meat and vegetation etc. We have the teeth for both, the digestive system for both etc.... This means we can eat meat and vegetables etc OR just meat OR just vegetables etc. (even though JUST eating meat would be VERY unhealthy)

Elephants are herbivores so they have the digestion system for vegetation and the teeth etc for it. So Elephants shouldn't eat meat at all. My guess is IF it did kill all those people then there was only fragments of "human flesh" in the elephants stomach from it killing them, not eating them.

BAH, Dougal already covered it sorry.

Edited by Coffey

I used to keep a pair of donkeys. I was tolde not to let passers by feed them. The reason being that if a sandwich was offered containg meat,the donkeys might die.I THINK MEAT WOULD KILL THE ELEPHANT

Whilst they may not have the proper apparatus for consuming meat, under certain conditions they may consume flesh. With cattle shortly after the placenta has detatched the cow will eat it, as a way to gain nutrients and also natural behaviour so as not to attract predators. Its wierd to see although they do sometimes choke and die.

We are way over due for another " Black Plague " epidemic...

To many damn humans on this world.....

Even though elephants are fading from existence, how can you put an animal's life above a human's?

The destroying of their habitats is a damn shame, Elephants remember.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't think an elephant would actually eat meat altogether, but I guess under the circumstances of having their habitat endangered by humans prompted one to avenge, but a step further in the revenge scale.

I'll kill that elephant. I've always wanted to see an elephant get blast by an RPG or something

No hunting license for you...

This is an inevitable result of the destruction of the elephant's environment and the disrupting of their family units. I kind of find it hard to believe, though, that this was done out of revenge for the death of a calf. That seems to be anthropomorphizing on part of the expert.

With that said, I find it disgusting that people would find what this animal did as something that is good or justifiable in any means. What if that was your family who had gotten killed by the elephant? How would you feel? Would you still cheer the killing as a vague act of revenge by nature? These are human beings, most of whom might not of had anything to do with what has happened to the elephant, and there is no reason that they should die. The lack of compassion for these people just shows how us westerners can dehumanize others, especially in underdeveloped parts of the world.

couple of years ago, i heard of an elephant in india that would knock on your door and wait for you to answer it. before killing you. if you were in a car said elephant would charge it and smash it and you.

I remember hearing about this elephant that was randomly attacking and killing people in villages. It wasn't even provoked. They hired someone to kill it, and during the autopsy(I know it isn't called an autopsy if it's an animal, just can't think of the word) they found a bullet was lodged behind the elephant's tusk, probably causing extreme pain and causing the elephant to go insane.

I wonder if this elephant has some sort of problem, too.