Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Jack the Ripper painting' on sale

Still Waters

A previously unknown painting by Walter Sickert - the artist believed by author Patricia Cornwell to be Jack the Ripper - is set to fetch up to £60,000 when it goes under the hammer next month.

The work, entitled The Blind Sea Captain, has only emerged once before - with no title except a label on the back - at an exhibition 80 years ago.

Sickert, who Patricia Cornwell has investigated at length and named as the serial killer, was notorious for his paintings of nudes.

Four of these were controversially entitled The Camden Town Murder, after a well publicised and gruesome murder of a prostitute in 1907.

But this gained him attention and he became a prominent member of the Camden Town Group of artists.

The Blind Sea Captain is far more sentimental in theme, but in the outbreak of World War One it would have been an appropriate subject for Sickert.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keel M.

• Still Waters

• Cloudshill

• sarah snow

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess because Patricia Cornwell says he's the Ripper, we should all agree. :rolleyes: I'm sorry but I read her book - at least most of it til she p***ed me off. She criticizes all these other theories because they merely state that everyone else is wrong and they are right rather than saying 'I think A and B theories are wrong and here's why'. After she finished criticizing them all, she did the exact same thing in the rest of the book. Don't criticize someone for the way they do something if you're going to turn around and do it the exact same way.

Ms Cornwell should stick to writing fiction. Walter Sickert simply was not the Ripper. However, he was a well known artist in his time and it's good to see one of his works back in the public eye.

Ms Cornwell should stick to writing fiction. Walter Sickert simply was not the Ripper. However, he was a well known artist in his time and it's good to see one of his works back in the public eye.

I agree, Cloudy. We're huge fans of PC novels ever since I brought one back donkeys' year ago, and The Parents and I love her books :yes:

The Sickert paintings are intriguing and strangely attractive, and I am glad she brought them to my attention as works of art, but I was not convinced about her theory.