Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

Saru

Those discussions kind of go like this...

Mods: Gee Saru, what do you want to do tonight?

Saru: The same thing we do every night Mods - try to take over the world!

:P

:w00t:

Maybe by the next ten years we'll have succeeded :devil:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Beckys_Mom

• Bracket

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A question that's sort of related to the one that one before is, if the truth was ever found out about any of the big mysteries (extraterrestrial life, the existence or otherwise of God, ghosts & the afterlife etc.), do you think that interest in them would diminish, and so is it in the interests of sites like this for the answers not to be found?

tumblr_ldp582CP351qddj4so1_500.jpg

:lol:

Could.Not.Resist!

Stop leaking our secret transcripts. :ph34r:

Are you all able to meet on a regular basis to discuss what plans are in UM's future?

A lot of us live in different countries so we don't get a chance to meet up in person however we have a staff room on the boards where we discuss ideas and improvements.

How is the addition of new forums decided?

We'll add a new forum if there is a particular demand to cover a certain topic that isn't covered already or if an existing forum is too large and needs to be split up to make it easier to use and manage. Overall it can be a bit of a balancing act between having too many forums with only a few people using them and having too few forums that end up getting swamped.

where do you see this site going in the future? Are there plans for something bigger and better ?

I don't think i'll ever reach the stage where i consider the site "finished" in the sense that there's nothing left to add or improve upon; you can certainly expect to see a lot more updates, new features and improvements aimed at expanding the site, making it easier to use and keeping things interesting. We've come a long way in 10 years so who knows what the site will be like in another 10.

A question that's sort of related to the one that one before is, if the truth was ever found out about any of the big mysteries (extraterrestrial life, the existence or otherwise of God, ghosts & the afterlife etc.), do you think that interest in them would diminish, and so is it in the interests of sites like this for the answers not to be found?

If anything interest in these topics would increase quite substantially I think, if something of that nature was to ever go from being an unexplained mystery to an established fact then there would be a massive influx of people looking to find out more about it leading to a lot of new visitors to sites like this. Ultimately though there are always going to be mysteries to solve - even if something like extraterrestrial visitation was to become a proven fact it would still open up a whole set of new questions about life in the universe that we won't know the answers to.

I'd also like to add my congrats and thanks to Saru and the moderators.

This is a great forum. I've learned TONS! Made some great friends and had some great times.

Whos_Awesome.ashx.jpeg

Btw - I'd love to volunteer to moderate any spider threads. Hehehehehe..

Nibs

Happy Tenth Anniversary UM. Since I joined two years ago, I've seen UM grow so much. I can only imagine the changes Thongy and Becky's Mom must have seen.

Changes I may have seen?........yea a few here and there

I have posted on UM for several years now... my post count alone is ridiculously high... I didn't even realise how high it was until an ex mod PM'd me - ( Burnsside) ...I looked at it and thought OMG get outta here

I have a keen interest in the forum...if I didn't my post count wouldn't be half as much as it is now

Changes... I have seen many come an go...even mods.( I recall Richdog and a few others )...I remember when Saru's ID was just - Saruman...I gues when he saw everyone calling him Saru he thought ohh well may as well

I've seen the highs and the lows... but there is something about UM that makes people want to stay...heck I have even got others to check the site out, to see if maybe they wanted to join...............( I think I did that more on UM than I ever did my own forum...lol )

I used to wish there was a little section just for us ladies lol but I don't think I bothered to ask...I may have done I can't recal :P

I like to pay attention to as much as possible that is posted... I have gotten to know the regulars inside and out...and I just enjoy posting

People like to change their ID's as it is good to have a bit of a change....I'm just odd...I am too attached to my ID and I don't like change lol

There is a debates board...I loved it..once took part in a formal and funny enough I won... Things like games or formal debate to take part in I felt was always a great idea

UM for me and I'd imagine everyone else that sticks around, is more of a community, everyone just mucks in

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I remember when Saru's ID was just - Saruman...I gues when he saw everyone calling him Saru he thought ohh well may as well

There is a debates board...I loved it..once took part in a formal and funny enough I won... Things like games or formal debate to take part in I felt was always a great idea

Ha! I remember that being his full ID too. I wondered if I was just crazy in thinking it was different when I came back after a while and noticed. :P

I liked the debates too. Never wanted to participate back then but totally would now haha.

It was really great when I would come back after a while of not being on cause so many things would be different in a good way. I remember being excited about the True Crime and Philosophy section being added. Fun stuff.

I think one of the greatest innovations has been the "Status Updates" column. It's certainly opened my eyes, I can tell you.

:unsure2:

I think one of the greatest innovations has been the "Status Updates" column. It's certainly opened my eyes, I can tell you.

:unsure2:

Ok you got me. Whats the "Status Updates"? I probably use it but I'm drawing a blank :huh:

Ok you got me. Whats the "Status Updates"? I probably use it but I'm drawing a blank :huh:

The "What's on your mind" thing.

It's at the top part of your profile page where you have Good, Bad ? doesn't matter! I'm the one with the gun. ;) posted in yours.

Ok now I feel dumber then when I asked the question :rofl:

It's ok thongy. We'll let it go this time. But we wont be so lenient next time.

Hey, wait a minute. Why am i not a mod yet? :angry:

It's ok thongy. We'll let it go this time. But we wont be so lenient next time.

You pay your dues??

Learn the secret handshake?

Get a magic modwand?

Isn't that the procedure?

Nibs

You pay your dues??

Learn the secret handshake?

Get a magic modwand?

Isn't that the procedure?

Nibs

I have a Harry Potter wand. Does that count?

I have a Harry Potter wand. Does that count?

:) I'd say it does but we would probably have to check with one of the Mod/Mins.

*off to buy a wand*

Either way, you'd have my vote.

Back on subject...I do love this place. I see that even ST learned something new todoay!

Nibs

Well that's an easy one to answer.

One of the things you need to be a mod is a familiarity with how the site works. That means not only knowing the rules but being familiar with such things as the answers to the FAQs. This includes this one:

Q. How do I become a moderator ?

If we are in need of new forum moderators and we believe that you are a good candidate for the job then we will get in touch with you - please do not send e-mails or messages to staff members asking them if you can be a moderator. Don't call us - we'll call you!

So why aren't you a moderator yet... because you asked to be one.

Well that's an easy one to answer.

One of the things you need to be a mod is a familiarity with how the site works. That means not only knowing the rules but being familiar with such things as the answers to the FAQs. This includes this one:

So why aren't you a moderator yet... because you asked to be one.

lol........... (you do know i was joking right? :rolleyes: ). Oh, but i was a mod on one site, and am one on another. I'll send my resume. :tu:

lol........... (you do know i was joking right? :rolleyes: ). Oh, but i was a mod on one site, and am one on another. I'll send my resume. :tu:

You should do it Brac.

Hey! I was just stopping by to say congrats to ten long years of being on the web!! It's this forum I came to many years ago when I had questions about things. I've been coming off and on for a very long time and I can never forget my UM family!! Thanks for everything and here's to ten more amazing years!! *raises glass*

Saru is well on his way to world domination. I've never seen any politician who could get so many to sit down and talk so much. :lol:

Saru is well on his way to world domination. I've never seen any politician who could get so many to sit down and talk so much. :lol:

He does have an advantage....an "off" switch. :P

edit:For the obnoxious I mean.

Edited by Michelle

Okay, so I have a couple of questions.... for now. :P

1) Does anyone have a screenshot of how the site looked when it donned its very first Unexplained Mysteries banner?

2) Can Saru ever change my join date back to May '05? :rofl:

hahahah :tu:

Sorry Michelle. A bit of a late post.

Edited by susieice