Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

Saru

hahahah :tu:

Sorry Michelle. A bit of a late post.

I reread it and realized people aren't in my head (and should be glad) and I may not have been clear. :ph34r:

:D

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Beckys_Mom

• Bracket

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I reread it and realized people aren't in my head

Are you sure about that :whistle:

:P

Hey I have a question I think that's always been in the back of my mind but I've never asked...

Saru, do you handle all the technical work on the site yourself? I know as a former web producer myself, that even if a vendor company handles the board and the database itself, and even when users are supplying content, there's still a TON of daily administrative work on the content end and back end that has to be completed. Has this site reached a point where you have needed to engage staff outside of the illustrious mods here that help you support this site in general on the technical and administrative end?

As always, love it here, it's a fun place to hang out and I've met some REALLY cool people here. :)

Well that's an easy one to answer.

One of the things you need to be a mod is a familiarity with how the site works. That means not only knowing the rules but being familiar with such things as the answers to the FAQs. This includes this one:

So why aren't you a moderator yet... because you asked to be one.

Ah, much like how the Illuminati recruits members. B)

Does anyone have a screenshot of how the site looked when it donned its very first Unexplained Mysteries banner?
I'll be posting up a front page feature with lots of old screenshots on March 2nd.
Can Saru ever change my join date back to May '05?

Yes its about time i got round to that, fixed. :tu:

Saru, do you handle all the technical work on the site yourself?

Pretty much, yes.

Has this site reached a point where you have needed to engage staff outside of the illustrious mods here that help you support this site in general on the technical and administrative end?

I do make use of the support services of our server provider and Invision Power Board to help resolve problems, some things such as server hardware issues are not something i can fix from here so there will always be third party involvement on some level.

Unlike you BM, I have a ridiculously low post count for as long as I've been around. I mostly lurk and read other people's posts. I don't debate as much as I used to :P

Unlike you BM, I have a ridiculously low post count for as long as I've been around. I mostly lurk and read other people's posts. I don't debate as much as I used to :P

I think it might be because I talk a lot.. sometimes too much in real life.. talk talk talk.. I could talk the legs of a stool :P

There is some thing I don't even realise I post - like the LOL's and LMAO's... I think it just became a habit... I mean to insert one and refresh the page and i have like 5 or 6 in... It's kinna like - Oh do I really say that a lot? gee I was unaware lol

Yes its about time i got round to that, fixed. :tu:

Close enough! :lol: Thanks Saru, you're still the best admin ever! Can't wait for the 2nd. Should be interesting hehe.

Congratulations on 10 years of U-M. :tu:

The site has changed a lot in the past 5 years that I have been here. It looked good back then and still looks great today with all the improvements.

I suppose I only have one question really, as all the others have been answered.

Through the years I remember seeing a Admin called Daz I think. If that is correct, may I ask who that was, as they really didn't have any information and never posted?

Through the years I remember seeing a Admin called Daz I think. If that is correct, may I ask who that was, as they really didn't have any information and never posted?

Daz is a very good friend of mine who i set up as an admin right back at the very beginning when the forum was first started. Although he was very seldom seen on the forums he became something of an urban legend, members would try to spot him logged in and make posts about possible sightings. When something went wrong on the boards the phrase "Daz did it!" was coined by a few of the regulars.

While these days he no longer sports an admin badge you can still sometimes spot him on the users online list...

... that is if he doesn't spot you first. ;)

Daz is a very good friend of mine who i set up as an admin right back at the very beginning when the forum was first started. Although he was very seldom seen on the forums he became something of an urban legend, members would try to spot him logged in and make posts about possible sightings. When something went wrong on the boards the phrase "Daz did it!" was coined by a few of the regulars.

While these days he no longer sports an admin badge you can still sometimes spot him on the users online list...

I think we have a candidate for discussion on the "Crypto" forums...the Daz! :P

Thanks for explaining that, I always wondered who he was.

Thanks for explaining that, I always wondered who he was.

He can be found in a box of a very popular washing powder :w00t: DAZ

Congratulations for ten successful years and may you all be here for many more

:tu:

I think we have a candidate for discussion on the "Crypto" forums...the Daz! :P

Interesting that you mention that.

*grins*

*grins*

:rofl:

I've just started reading that...some great, great posts!!!

:lol:

I love this post!!!

I'm currently working on the theory that dAz is some sort of energy based life-form that inabits the bodies of old UM members once in a while and makes them come back.

:rofl:

Edited by Leonardo

*grins*

The only thing I can think of after reading that, is a funny line used sometimes saying (show pictures, or it didn't happen.) :lol:

I'll cut to the chase and ask the question on every womans lips.

What do you wear under your kilt?

He's wearing nothing, of course. :w00t:

So then, should we blame the strange pics of George Bush and old men popping up in chat on Daz? :P

Did someone say kilts? :wub:

I think Daz should do something, just for old times sake. :lol:

I hope he doesn't come on anonymously. :ph34r:

Thats excellent news Saru! 10 years of ecstasy and UM is still booming at the larger side of things.

Now my Question: What is one mistake you committed as a webmaster of UM?

I still remember the old days where you had to route traffic to an external server when someone posted up an article of a sheep mutation which appeared in the front page that generated a lot of traffic!

To me, though I have left and gets back every time around, it is indeed a pleasure to see UM progressing as time advances, with most of my friends circle staying within!

I myself is a member at the baord you have linked to us. I am Behaviour??? there and has over 6500+ posts, to be honest, I have posted that much only because they have a different genre, and they do things so unique! I just cant stop visiting them!

The Site Webmaster, Saru does everything perfectly and he once said that he spends a lot on this site and that it requires a lot of efforts and patience to administer the board.

The site is for now 5 or 6 years old and like all others have said "Activity dont come overnight, work for it and it will pay"

Do you happen to be a member at UM?

PS - I all owe it to UM for what I am today!

I donot exactly remember where I posted this, but as far as I can remember, someone mentioned the site in a forum and asked how can forums be such big as UM. I left this post on the thread, and just copied it down to my notepad.

*Brings back nostalgia!*

And Hi Stillwaters!

He's wearing nothing, of course. :w00t:

Do men really wear nothing underneath their kilts? :unsure2: Sounds like an unexplained mystery to me! :rofl:

Wow...10 years eh? I've only been here for the last 7 and I must say I've seen some amazing stuff. Most memorable 'out there' topics for me personally have been (in no particular order): The moon landing was hoaxed, David Icke's reptilian aliens, The Sun is 'alive', rock formations on the Moon and Mars are ET evidence, anything UFO related, Planet X is coming, 2012 is the end of the world.

There's rarely a dull moment here on UM...that's why I love it! h020.gif