Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

Saru

No comment :innocent:

You're just right not to comment ...I couldn't pic you saying - oh yes I do think they are all looneys :lol:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Beckys_Mom

• Bracket

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're just right not to comment ...I couldn't pic you saying - oh yes I do think they are all looneys :lol:

:D

You don't have to be mad to be here, but it helps........sometimes :unsure2:

:D

You don't have to be mad to be here, but it helps........sometimes :unsure2:

:lol: Exactly

To Saru If I was to ask you to name, one feature or whatever is that, without which this site wouldnt have grown such big, what would that be?

To all the modsHave anyone come across your life from UM and blamed you for doing them something like a ban or something like that?

To Saru and Mods: When a user posts a really crap topic or leaves a dumb reply, do you swear to yourself or think he/she is an utter looney?

Personally speaking, I don't really care how 'out there' folks want to get...just so they stay civil/polite. I do sometimes wonder about humanity though (what makes some people tick). The human psyche may be the greatest unexplained mystery of them all.

To all the modsHave anyone come across your life from UM and blamed you for doing them something like a ban or something like that?

I have a sneaking suspicion that we are always at fault when some one gets banned. In all honesty though, banning somebody is always a last resort.

Personally speaking, I don't really care how 'out there' folks want to get...just so they stay civil/polite. I do sometimes wonder about humanity though (what makes some people tick). The human psyche may be the greatest unexplained mystery of them all.

I agree Lilly.

Saru and all the moderators put in an enormous amount of work in order to make this one of the best places to visit on the web. We might not all have similar beliefs (except maybe concerning evil pleiadian overlords intent on enslaving the masses) but we all believe that UM is a place where you can find intersting and civil conversation.

If I was to ask you to name, one feature or whatever is that, without which this site wouldnt have grown such big, what would that be?

Definately the forum, i don't think the site would have worked very well without one.

Definately the forum, i don't think the site would have worked very well without one.

That's the main reason I visit. I appreciate the rest of the site but the forum is the 'meat on the bones' of UM in my opinion. If someone is really interested in learning about a phenomena and all of the varied information and viewpoints that go along with it, the forum is the place to do it. At times UM seems more like a research network than a forum to be honest (and I wouldn't have it any other way). :lol::tu:

Another Question: 10 years since UM opened its doors to the public, still I see the forum running on the default IPB skin ( Most of us including me doesnt really concentrate on the skin as we are very much involved in the discussions, but yet)do you have any plans to change it? Why havent you thought on this?

Another Question: 10 years since UM opened its doors to the public, still I see the forum running on the default IPB skin ( Most of us including me doesnt really concentrate on the skin as we are very much involved in the discussions, but yet)do you have any plans to change it? Why havent you thought on this?

We aren't using the default IPB skin, we use a modified template with a custom design, colour scheme and features. I think we've gone through at least three variations of our custom forum theme over the years and will likely be updating it again in the not too distant future.

What lead you to think we were using the default skin ?

We aren't using the default IPB skin, we use a modified template with a custom design, colour scheme and features. I think we've gone through at least three variations of our custom forum theme over the years and will likely be updating it again in the not too distant future.

What lead you to think we were using the default skin ?

Did I totally clog my mind up? Seems like I am getting a hang! I just could resist laughing and couldnt get back after reading this thread: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180897&st=0

That's the main reason I visit. I appreciate the rest of the site but the forum is the 'meat on the bones' of UM in my opinion. If someone is really interested in learning about a phenomena and all of the varied information and viewpoints that go along with it, the forum is the place to do it. At times UM seems more like a research network than a forum to be honest (and I wouldn't have it any other way). :lol::tu:

There's some other bits?! :unsure2::o

There's some other bits?! :unsure2::o

Certainly. The news, vids/galleries, blogs, a lot of good stuff! :tu: I just prefer the more interactive nature of the forums, it has a tendency to direct my learning and research as opposed to the random and chaotic way I do it on my own. ^_^

Congrats on ten years!

A question for Saru and all the mods:

Of all the various aspects of the unexplained covered on UM, which has been the one you've learned most about as a result of/during your time here?

Saru - you were only 18 or 19 years old when you created all of this - the UM community included..a place for others to learn, deate, be a part of an open community

Gosh as a teenager back then...to be able to come up with ALL of this...Imgaine if you were to get stuck into an on line community site - like facebook or twitter? You'd be a billionaire...do you realise that?

Did it ever cross your mind what you could do?

For at just 18 I had no interest in computers...I used to fear it... even in my early 20's I feared going on line...it took me some years to get used to it...I know one thing - I wouldn't have had 1% of the talent at an early age to be able to create a world wide community site like this

What am I saying..I still can't :w00t:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Thanks for making a forum for the Unexplained and just pure awesome Wierd stuff. You have truly made a place for those who want to know about the unknown and question as well while in this Moral Coil. Happy 10 years look forward to many more!!

My question to all Mods: Who are your favorite bands? (Off Topic most likely but I wanted to be that first person..lol and break some ice) :rofl:

Edited by svenshoegazer

Of all the various aspects of the unexplained covered on UM, which has been the one you've learned most about as a result of/during your time here?

Religion.

My question to all Mods: Who are your favorite bands? (Off Topic most likely but I wanted to be that first person..lol and break some ice) :rofl:

Queen and Counting Crows.

Imgaine if you were to get stuck into an on line community site - like facebook or twitter? You'd be a billionaire...do you realise that? Did it ever cross your mind what you could do?

Well I appreciate the vote of confidence but that is sort of like saying to someone who has had a book published that if they put their mind to it they could become the next J K Rowling; success like that cannot be replicated on demand, it is a very rare thing indeed.

Psychology.

Congrats S man, a decade of dedication. thumbsup.gif Inspiring!

Dunno how you mods do it, but ya's do an awesome job of keeping our community comfortable, safe and informative!

Gotta love the UM family, my home away from home!wub.gif

Certainly. The news, vids/galleries, blogs, a lot of good stuff! :tu: I just prefer the more interactive nature of the forums, it has a tendency to direct my learning and research as opposed to the random and chaotic way I do it on my own. ^_^

To go back a few posts, I have to admit when I first found UM, I spent about two weeks in the videos section. I was totally amazed at the vast number of videos available in it and the variety of subjects covered. I started telling my friends about them. In fact, I emailed quite a few to them. I spent about another 2-3 weeks reading through the forums after that and that's when I joined. I have to admit, it was some of that other good stuff that caught my eye and now I'm in the forums just about every day. :)

Congratulations also, to Saru and UM, and to all the members and other moderators. Unexplained-Mysteries couldn't maintain and attract new members to the thriving community, without the support and interest, discussion and goodwill of each and every member, so thank you for your continued politeness and civility and helping each other out, and working with and keeping the UM staff notified of any issues that need addresses - we're all members of the community, members and moderators and the Chief, and communication remains the top priority to keep things running. Great work everyone!

Re: questions:

Moderators and (especially) administrators get various accusations or "blame" leveled at them, and have a lot of responsibility, and some people have an erroneous idea of the staff having responsibilities that are beyond what is even doable, but that's the breaks of being someone in the role of an arbiter or mediator, so you don't, and really can't, dwell on the negatives, because there's just too much constantly going on to keep up with. And on a personal entertainment note, I'm fairly eclectic, so I've liked everything from Chicago to Britney Spears to Black Sabbath, Ben Folds Five, Pink Floyd and Seven Mary Three and Weird Al Yankovic and They Might Be Giants, as well as Bruce Hornsby and Will Smith (shhhh).

Edited by Paranormalcy

And on a personal entertainment note, I'm fairly eclectic, so I've liked everything from Chicago to Britney Spears to Black Sabbath, Ben Folds Five, Pink Floyd and Seven Mary Three and Weird Al Yankovic and They Might Be Giants, as well as Bruce Hornsby and Will Smith (shhhh).

Speaking of personal entertainment, I wish I had a link to that song you made up about that camel spider following you and checking out those tasty hams. That was too funny, thanks for the laugh.

I'll tell what I learned most from the forums here... it forced me to learn how to spell :lol:

I have a question for Saru, have you ever had the chance to check out any of the monoliths in Scotland? (I've heard tale Scotland has quite a few monolithic structures). If so which one was your favorite and/or you found most intriguing?

Thank you for having us, Saru! :)

To Saru: Has there ever been an incident (be it on UM or an outside personal issue/s) or time where you ever wanted to just wash your hands of UM? Being a mod or a member we can easily walk away but as the Admin., I'd imagine it's not so easy to just walk away from your baby. But has their ever been a day where you regretted it all?

Mods: You folks do so much and it's almost a thankless job it seems, so if I may ask, what's in it for you? Why did you become a mod?

My thanks in advance for your response.

SINcerely,

:devil:

Edited by Dying Seraph

Mods: You folks do so much and it's almost a thankless job it seems, so if I may ask, what's in it for you? Why did you become a mod?

For me joining the Mod team has given me the opportunity to put back some of what being here has given me. UM is my second home and I love it here.