Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christians should stand up for their beliefs

Still Waters

British society regards Christians with scorn and is too ready to dismiss believers as bigots who do not have a brain, according to the Archbishop of Canterbury’s wife.

Jane Williams, a theologian and teacher, said many Christians felt uncomfortable talking about their beliefs and feared that doing so was “not politically correct”.

But “lazy” and “scornful” attitudes towards people of faith in Britain must be challenged, she said, urging Christians to be more prepared to “argue our corner”.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• IamsSon

• Atehequa

• norwood1026

Mrs Williams’s remarks come amid warnings from Church leaders that the prevailing attitudes in politics and human rights law discriminate against Christians.

In general, no they don't. I would say the prevailing attitude no longer discriminates in favour of Christians over other faiths, but that is a very different thing - although it may seem from a Christian's perspective they being discriminated against.

I'm always leery when a religious person says "stand up for your beliefs", because what are you standing up for?

That your belief is the only true belief? That your God is the only true god?

I can't see where those beliefs are being denied Christians. It is simply that a lot more people are not afraid to say, "Well, fine. You can believe that but your belief doesn't make it so."

Quotes from the article....

She said there were many reasons why Christians were reluctant to discuss their faith: "It is not cool; it is not politically correct; it can get you into trouble at work; it can be seen as infringing other people's choices

You sure cannot discuss them at work. In my last place of employment, religious issues / discussion were not allowed.

There are reasons for this.

1 _ it's a place of work..not religious discussion - if you wish to discuss religion - do it in a more suitable place...here is not the place and time is money

2 - Opposing their views on to others who are non religous can disrupt the work place

3 - Fighting... it has caused fights in many work places over here...A lot of bigotry and hate was spread. People felt discriminated against They use of religion was as a weapon and a good excuse to start a fight ............ Employers do not allow this

But Christians should overcome their lack of confidence and be more prepared to tackle public questions about faith, she said.

She must want them to face more troubles than its worth...

But "lazy" and "scornful" attitudes towards people of faith in Britain must be challenged, she said, urging Christians to be more prepared to "argue our corner".

Why must they be challenged?...Why the need to argue? is this a new found teaching from Jesus himself?

This lady has no clue... Christianity is know as the worlds most biggest of religions...they all do not need to take a stand... They would if they were attcked... but to take a stand for their beleifs, I do not see why...unless they are not that confident that their religion is solid and needs more explanation!!

If you are content with your faith and you know it is solid...then why the urge to heap it on to others and argue? even in a place of work... its not the right place to do it..and they could get fired

Edited by Beckys_Mom

In general, no they don't. I would say the prevailing attitude no longer discriminates in favour of Christians over other faiths, but that is a very different thing - although it may seem from a Christian's perspective they being discriminated against.

I'm always leery when a religious person says "stand up for your beliefs", because what are you standing up for?

I can't see where those beliefs are being denied Christians. It is simply that a lot more people are not afraid to say, "Well, fine. You can believe that but your belief doesn't make it so."

good points

If you are content with your faith and you know it is solid...then why the urge to heap it on to others and argue?

another good point

LOL actually they dont like to debate, because they lost that battle long ago and have nothing real to stand upon. But please go argue your corner people till your blue in the face. Its very entertaining to us heathens bound for hell! :devil:

Very true. It is like how, in America, the Christians got in a tizzy over "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" and claimed to be discriminated against. Being put on equal grounds with others, apparently, counts as discrimination these days.

Judging by the attitude of most brits, as I percieve it, based on comments I see in not only forums on UM but also others on the net, christians in England no doubt feel intimidated about expressing thier faith, or belief in anything not scietifically provable. Because you two(leo and BM) are on the other side of this prejudice that I percieve, you do not notice it as much. The archbishops wife was likely commenting on this. I'm not trying to say your point of view is wrong, I'm just stating my own observations, which may or may not be correct.

Edited by OverSword

Quotes from the article....

You sure cannot discuss them at work. In my last place of employment, religious issues / discussion were not allowed.

There are reasons for this.

1 _ it's a place of work..not religious discussion - if you wish to discuss religion - do it in a more suitable place...here is not the place and time is money

2 - Opposing their views on to others who are non religous can disrupt the work place

3 - Fighting... it has caused fights in many work places over here...A lot of bigotry and hate was spread. People felt discriminated against They use of religion was as a weapon and a good excuse to start a fight ............ Employers do not allow this

She must want them to face more troubles than its worth...

Why must they be challenged?...Why the need to argue? is this a new found teaching from Jesus himself?

This lady has no clue... Christianity is know as the worlds most biggest of religions...they all do not need to take a stand... They would if they were attcked... but to take a stand for their beleifs, I do not see why...unless they are not that confident that their religion is solid and needs more explanation!!

If you are content with your faith and you know it is solid...then why the urge to heap it on to others and argue? even in a place of work... its not the right place to do it..and they could get fired

that might be a good thing there, since you guys just got through fighting a terrior war there due, at least in part, to religion.

Very true. It is like how, in America, the Christians got in a tizzy over "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" and claimed to be discriminated against. Being put on equal grounds with others, apparently, counts as discrimination these days.

sorry but to have someone steal your holiday season, which your religion stole over a thousand years ago. that is just upsetting. and whats more upsetting is to be told you cant say merry christmas and peace on earth.

Judging by the attitude of most brits, as I percieve it, based on comments I see in not only forums on UM but also others on the net, christians in England no doubt feel intimidated about expressing thier faith, or belief in anything not scietifically provable. Because you two(leo and BM) are on the other side of this prejudice that I percieve, you do not notice it as much. The archbishops wife was likely commenting on this. I'm not trying to say your point of view is wrong, I'm just stating my own observations, which may or may not be correct.

I do understand that, to a Christian, losing their sense of 'privilege' might be disconcerting and even intimidating. Isn't that true of any social upheaval however?

I don't think it's a prejudice against Christians, so much as a reaction to what used to be the Christian faith assuming it's premier position, and the followers now struggling to accommodate that assumption no longer holds true.

Edited by Leonardo

that might be a good thing there, since you guys just got through fighting a terrior war there due, at least in part, to religion.

That's what I meant - it can get used as a weapon of destruction..and people get hurt or killed... ( ive seen it happen) It leads to more political views and fighting breaks out. Religious discussions are never allowed in any work place

I have even seen a couple of preachy christians get removed from our building, for hassling the staff over god... Our security removed them from the premises

Ever watch the movie -> The Book Of Eli ? ...........( if not you should)... ..Denzel's ( Eli) job is to get the only bible left on the planet to others..and to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. Gary Oldman plays a character that craves to get a hold of the last ever bible, he would use it to rule others and it would cause so much more disruption and choas....

I do understand that, to a Christian, losing their sense of 'privilege' might be disconcerting and even intimidating. Isn't that true of any social upheaval however?

I don't think it's a prejudice against Christians, so much as a reaction to what used to be the Christian faith assuming it's premier position, and the followers now struggling to accommodate that assumption no longer holds true.

Like the white man that doesn't understand that his experience when stopped by police differs greatly from that of a black man's, you just don't get it. It's OK. Like that white man, I don't really expect you to.

sorry but to have someone steal your holiday season, which your religion stole over a thousand years ago. that is just upsetting. and whats more upsetting is to be told you cant say merry christmas and peace on earth.

Daniel that was actually pretty funny. There is nothing wrong with any Christian wishing me a merry Christmas, or any Jew wishing me a happy Hanukah, or any pagan wishing me a happy Yule.

And anyone of any religious or political affiliation can wish me peace on earth any day of the year. Individually celebrate your traditions, but collectively lets remain neutral.

Like the white man that doesn't understand that his experience when stopped by police differs greatly from that of a black man's, you just don't get it. It's OK. Like that white man, I don't really expect you to.

What I don't "get", OverSword, is the implication of this post?

It's like I see at the workplace, nobody would even think to comment on a buddist or islamist expressing aspects of thier faith. The same people who say nothing to those religions will not hesitate to viciously attack a christian for even stating beliefe in christ. It's because our societys have made it OK to attack one and not the other.

That's what I meant - it can get used as a weapon of destruction..and people get hurt or killed... ( ive seen it happen) It leads to more political views and fighting breaks out. Religious discussions are never allowed in any work place

I have even seen a couple of preachy christians get removed from our building, for hassling the staff over god... Our security removed them from the premises

Ever watch the movie -> The Book Of Eli ? ...........( if not you should)... ..Denzel's ( Eli) job is to get the only bible left on the planet to others..and to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. Gary Oldman plays a character that craves to get a hold of the last ever bible, he would use it to rule others and it would cause so much more disruption and choas....

Book of Eli!!?? I was in that movie!!!

Book of Eli!!?? I was in that movie!!!

You wot?

It's like I see at the workplace, nobody would even think to comment on a buddist or islamist expressing aspects of thier faith. The same people who say nothing to those religions will not hesitate to viciously attack a christian for even stating beliefe in christ. It's because our societys have made it OK to attack one and not the other.

Okay, now I see what you are implying!

To be honest, no, I am not partial to only questioning Christians regarding why their faith is "the one". I agree that in Western society the Christian faith has come under greater critical examination. That is because the Christian faith has been granted a lot of privilege in Western culture, privilege that is now being examined as to whether it actually discriminates against other faiths.

As I said previously, Christians might view this as discrimination or 'attacks', but it is neither. It is simply trying to find a balance in religious freedoms, privileges and tolerance for all faiths, not favouring one over any other.

Edited by Leonardo

I would say that this is because of conditioning. Here in the US most everyone knows something about Christianity weather they believe or not. Most people know very littly about Buddism or Islam, so they really dont comment. But they do comment.... If your into Islam you are a terrorist. I know you have seen that comment on here more than once. Also Christianity should not have ever allied itself with our politics. That opened a big can of worms for the church. So now no matter how much good the church has done, it will always be assoiated with our presidents, and all the bad choices they have made in Gods name.

I know many christians who viciously speak against Muslims and anyone else not 'like them', the church I was raised in thought the Catholics were the most evil thing in the world. Christians are NOT singled out, christians are NOT 'persecuted' more than others, it's just christians need to be seen as persecuted..and they yell the loudest.

It's funny after how many "unbelievers" were tortured, beat, exiled, shamed, burnt at the stake, most just for having the audacity to disagree.....how can christians be sooooo petty as to cry they are being picked on 'more'?

You wot?

I was IN that movie!! Im one of the cityfolk with dreadlocks in the background. The movie was filmed a few miles from where I live. Sorry just got all excited when you mentioned it. Now back on topic you.

I know many christians who viciously speak against Muslims and anyone else not 'like them', the church I was raised in thought the Catholics were the most evil thing in the world. Christians are NOT singled out, christians are NOT 'persecuted' more than others, it's just christians need to be seen as persecuted..and they yell the loudest.

It's funny after how many "unbelievers" were tortured, beat, exiled, shamed, burnt at the stake, most just for having the audacity to disagree.....how can christians be sooooo petty as to cry they are being picked on 'more'?

And yet that one person who is being singled out may not have had anything to do with any of that. People religious beliefs should either be or not be respected equally. Not one more or less than another.

People religious beliefs should either be or not be respected equally. Not one more or less than another.

:tu: