Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christian Couple barred from Fostering

Leonardo

Court backs decision to bar Christian foster couple

A decision to bar a Christian couple from fostering children because of their views on homosexuality has been backed at the High Court.

Eunice and Owen Johns, 62 and 65, of Derby, said the city council did not want them to become foster carers because of their traditional views.

The couple said they were "doomed not to be approved" because of their views.

The Pentecostal Christian couple had applied to Derby City Council to be respite carers.

source

I can see this case being very divisive and, to be honest, whatever decision is made will result in outcries of prejudice and/or discrimination.

Personally, I think the Court made the only decision it could. Yes, it is discriminatory towards the beliefs of Mr and Mrs Johns, but the welfare of the child they wished to foster must take precedence. If that child grew to realise he or she was homosexual, then Mr and Mrs Johns beliefs could cause emotional/psychological trauma.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be different views reflected here.

Edited by Leonardo

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• preacherman76

• Leonardo

• danielost

• HerNibs

source

I can see this case being very divisive and, to be honest, whatever decision is made will result in outcries of prejudice and/or discrimination.

Personally, I think the Court made the only decision it could. Yes, it is discriminatory towards the beliefs of Mr and Mrs Johns, but the welfare of the child they wished to foster must take precedence. If that child grew to realise he or she was homosexual, then Mr and Mrs Johns beliefs could cause emotional/psychological trauma.

it's one thing to not like the idea of homosexuality, but quite another to raise a child with that prejudice and intolerance.

it's one thing to not like the idea of homosexuality, but quite another to raise a child with that prejudice and intolerance.

I agree with you, JGirl. I'm sure there will be many who do not.

This will increase the cries of "discrimination" coming from prominent Christian figures over here.

I agree with you, JGirl. I'm sure there will be many who do not.

This will increase the cries of "discrimination" coming from prominent Christian figures over here.

yes i can see that as well.

i don't see how their faith is being discriminated against. they can believe what they want, but it does not give them the right to decide for another human being.

yes i can see that as well.

i don't see how their faith is being discriminated against. they can believe what they want, but it does not give them the right to decide for another human being.

You try telling the Church authorities that!

Wonder if I should have posted this in the Spirituality vs Skepticism forum? :devil:

I wonder if there were any questions about being prejudiced against any ethnic groups? That would surely knock out a lot of other potential foster parents. Especially if one of the children found out that they, or one of their parents, are from that ethnic group and didn't look it. Imagine the trauma that would cause them.

Edited by Michelle

source

I agree, the court made the right decision in this issue. Such an environment would be toxic for a gay child.

On another note, aren't they little old for this anyway?

I wonder if there were any questions about being prejudiced against any ethnic groups? That would surely knock out a lot of other potential foster parents. Especially if one of the children found out that they, or one of their parents, are from that ethnic group and didn't look it. Imagine the trauma that would cause them.

It's a good point, Michelle. Ethnicity would be easier to manage, from the pov of not placing a child in a prejudiced environment, but it's distinctly possible for mistakes to be made. I don't know whether questions on ethnic prejudices are part of the vetting process, though.

I agree, the court made the right decision in this issue. Such an environment would be toxic for a gay child.

On another note, aren't they little old for this anyway?

While there is no way of knowing how long a person might live, the average life-span of people here in the UK is well into the 70's, so a couple who are 60-odd shouldn't be barred for being that age. Once they are both over 65 it might be a case they would not be considered. But I don't know if there is an actual 'cut-off' age.

You are exactly right.

My wife and I foster kids...and we know that we are going to get every possible variation of kids sooner or later. We opt for older children(7-18) so at the older ages they are rather self aware. We have had kids that are just starting to go through that phase of life where they were not sure which way they were going to go or what they were feeling.

With all of the kids we have a conversation when they first show up that lets them know what the house rules are and what the kids are responsible for and that we are tolerant and loving of everyone, regardless of color, religion, race, sexual preference...the whole gamut.

To have a foster parent say...I won't tolerate gays, or blacks, or asians...that would just be insane. It would never be acceptable here. You get what you get and you need to love them completely and support them even when their problems are something you have never been through. To take a kid who is gay and put them in a house of people who think they are going to "pray away the gay", or just be downright abusive is not acceptable and it would be miserable for the kids. I know of foster parents here who tried to force their kids to convert to their baptist church, and that did not go over well...when kids are old enough to choose their own religion, that needs to be respected and tolerated even if it is different than what the foster parents follow.

the ones i feel sorry for are the little boys who grow up with two moms who hate him because he is male. or th reverse because she has two dads who hate her because she is female. much better to grow up in a loving family who might not like a gay person. and yes it does happen that a person can grow up with a mom and a dad hating them just because they remind them of the other parent.

I was hoping you would weigh in, Fluffy. I honestly don't know much about how the foster care system works and wondered how far the questioning goes when pertaining to this sort of thing. I can imagine it's not easy for the authorities to weed through potential foster parents and a lot of them can put up a good deceiving front and just do it for extra income.

At least the people mentioned in the OP were honest. :hmm:

Edited by Michelle

the ones i feel sorry for are the little boys who grow up with two moms who hate him because he is male. or th reverse because she has two dads who hate her because she is female. much better to grow up in a loving family who might not like a gay person. and yes it does happen that a person can grow up with a mom and a dad hating them just because they remind them of the other parent.

What? Are you saying that because a same sex couple adopt a child of the opposite sex they will hate them?

All of the same sex couples I know that have kids are GREAT freaking parents. Probably better than most because they realize how special being a parent is.

Nibs

While there is no way of knowing how long a person might live, the average life-span of people here in the UK is well into the 70's, so a couple who are 60-odd shouldn't be barred for being that age. Once they are both over 65 it might be a case they would not be considered. But I don't know if there is an actual 'cut-off' age.

I wasn't aware when the cut off point was, but still, they're pretty close to it no?

Truely, you have no idea what you're talking about. Same sex couples that get a child will LOVE that child, regardless of anything. Just because a child is an opposite gender to their parents doesn't mean they'll be hated at all and I think it's quite shallow of you to assume they would.

Being a homosexual doesn't mean you hate the opposite sex.

Nibs

Yes, people who hold prejudice and hate towards a group of people aren't capable or intelligent enough to raise a child.

Yes, people who hold prejudice and hate towards a group of people aren't capable or intelligent enough to raise a child.

Too bad we can't sterilize all children at birth, reverse it once they have passed all of the tests and have a reliable source of income before they can become parents.

Edited by Michelle

Sooo. . .In order to be a lesbian you have to hate men. . .and in order to be a gay man, you have to hate girls? Wow.. .talking about a sweeping generalization.

Every gay couple I've ever known that has had children absolutely adore them regardless and spoil them rotten. <--trust me I've known a few.

However isn't it strange how millions of kids are born into religious families of any denomination and are then taken to the religious center to be indoctrinated into that particular religion?

Does this not imbue a certain bias in the child?

thats why i think it should be illegal to take children to church and make them practice religion of any kind it should be considered child abuse. when they turn 18 they should be allowed to make up their own minds about what they believe is right.

thats why i think it should be illegal to take children to church and make them practice religion of any kind it should be considered child abuse. when they turn 18 they should be allowed to make up their own minds about what they believe is right.

Except that is impossible because of the parents belief... The child would still have a bias by the time it was eighteen.

I don't know what it is exactly but I went to Sunday school too because my parents sent me. Even from that age there seemed to me something sinister about people clad in black and roaring from the pulpit that just didn't fit with the biblical tradition. I have said it before Heads they win tails I loose.

What? Are you saying that because a same sex couple adopt a child of the opposite sex they will hate them?

All of the same sex couples I know that have kids are GREAT freaking parents. Probably better than most because they realize how special being a parent is.

Nibs

what i cant make the same judgement against gays that everyone seems to have made against this couple.

and if they are not taken to church to learn the ways of that church or any other church, what do they make their choice on, you.

what i cant make the same judgement against gays that everyone seems to have made against this couple.

Because the beliefs of this couple could result in one of two things on the child.

1: If the child is homosexual or bisexual then the beliefs of this couple will impact their lives negatively. How negatively? It's unclear. The kid may self harm or commit suicide, or the couple may beat and punish them, or just generally make their lives miserable.

2: The child is hetrosexual. It learns the beliefs of this couple, believing they are right. Said child encounters a homosexual/bisexual at some point in life and act negatively towards them. Again, this can take many forms. Bullying, name calling etc.

So you think either of those are acceptable outcomes?

Because the beliefs of this couple could result in one of two things on the child.

1: If the child is homosexual or bisexual then the beliefs of this couple will impact their lives negatively. How negatively? It's unclear. The kid may self harm or commit suicide, or the couple may beat and punish them, or just generally make their lives miserable.

2: The child is hetrosexual. It learns the beliefs of this couple, believing they are right. Said child encounters a homosexual/bisexual at some point in life and act negatively towards them. Again, this can take many forms. Bullying, name calling etc.

So you think either of those are acceptable outcomes?

as i said i can make the same assumptions you can. your two points can be reversed on to a gay couple as well.

ie the child is hetrosexual and knows that both moms hate boy girl couples. how does he bring his girlfriend home to meet his parents.

as i said i can make the same assumptions you can. your two points can be reversed on to a gay couple as well.

ie the child is hetrosexual and knows that both moms hate boy girl couples. how does he bring his girlfriend home to meet his parents.

See your arguement makes no sense. Homosexuals aren't hetrophobic. They don't hate hetrosexuals, or memebers of the opposite sex.

Homophobes don't hate hetrosexuals. They don't hate either gender. They DO hate homosexuals.

I hope that clears up your misconceptions.