Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Well preserved 700-year-old mummy found

Still Waters

These incredible pictures show a 700-year-old mummy, which was discovered by chance - by road workers - in excellent condition in eastern China.

The corpse of the high-ranking woman believed to be from the Ming Dynasty - the ruling power in China between 1368 and 1644 - was stumbled across by a team who were looking to expand a street.

And the mummy, which was found in the city of Taizhou, in the Jiangsu Province, along with two other wooden tombs, offers a fascinating insight into life as it was back then.

Discovered two metres below the road surface, the woman's features - from her head to her shoes - have retained their original condition, and have hardly deteriorated.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcos anthony toledo

• Kitana2010

• Prab

• torf

The Ming Dynasty, who built the Forbidden City and restored the Great Wall, was the last in China and marked an era of economic growth and cultural splendour which produced the first commercial contacts with the West.

not quite accurate entirely ...

more accurate would be "the first commercial contacts with the West in the modern era"

then again what is west according to the west is not quite the same as what is west of china to the chinese i guess

Jeez, talk about nightmares! I feel for the guys who dug her up. Well preserved, maybe. Scary as hell, o yeah! (and the shoes ARE kinda cute)

"The woman, discovered two metres below the surface in a wooden tomb, was wearing a Ming Dynasty dress and is thought to have been at a high-ranking level"

LOL, I will also die in some royal dress so that everyone thinks that I was a king,

Just kidding.

Something new I always thought that the mummys found in China was due to desication or the tightly sealed tombs I did not know the Chinese practice mummification too quite a surprise.

Im wondering if the brown liquid that was covering the mummy was some sort of preserving liquid ?

I wonder what its compounds were ?

TiP.

This is all very interesting, the coolest thing about this I'd have to say is the ring. That ring is 700 years old, and it looks to me like it's made of Jade. It has to be worth an astonishing amount of money.

• 3 months later...

What amazing preservation! To think that we are still finding mummies this well preserved! I love this kind of stuff :)