Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Belgian Triangle" UFO

Sightings

user posted image

Excerpt from the Sunday Express Newspaper, 17th Sept 1995:

This strange flying object was seen by thousands and chased by jets. But after 5 years no one can explain it.

The evening skies over Belgium were crystal clear when the reports began to come in - first in their tens and then in their hundreds. They spoke of a large triangular object, with bright lights at its three corners and centre, floating low at a snails pace across the sky in uncanny silence. It was the beggining of a mystery that has baffled scientists for five years - the best attested sighting of a UFO ever reported, and the one that refuses more stubbornly to yield to rational explanation. For the object in the sky was tracked on radar and photographed by fighter pilots. It was sighted by no fewer than 13,500 people on the ground - 2,600 of whom, including judges and police, filed written statements describing in detail what they had seen.

And today the Sunday Express can reveal a confidential letter in which formaer Belgium Defence Minister Leo Delcroix admits that despite the most rigorous offical investigation, no earthly explanation has been found.

The sightings are being treated with much seriousness this weekend that the EC is looking anew at plans to set up a UFO tracking centre. And the European Parliament has promised a full inquiry - amid strong calls for the British Ministry to be more open about its own investigations and findings.

As the reports began to come in on that March evening in 1990, military trackers a few miles south of Brussels picked up a large unidentified object on their radar. Two F-16 fighters were scrambled from Beauvechain, the nearest airbase, to intercept. They climbed to 3,000 feet and locked on to the craft, reporting back to base that they had intercepted a "structured UFO". But then suddenly, according to the pilots, it began to behave in an extraordinary way. Their on-board radar screens registered a quickly changing diamond shape, which suddenly accelerated to 600mph before slowing just as abruptly to 170mph. Then it plunged 3,300 feet in two seconds and accelerated from 170mph to 1,100mph in the same time. There was a marked absence of any sonic boom. According to the instruments aboard the fighters, the craft pulled away at 46G - 46 times the force of gravity - enough to crush any human body to pulp. It headed west across the English Channel towards the fields of Kent before disappearing into the night sky. During their 65 minute observation, the pilots took 15 photographs. But pursuit in their F-16s, capable of more than twice the speed of sound, was impossible.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• angel_psychic

• Delacorr

• Sightings

• snuffypuffer

Guest Guest_Martin

I'm from Belgium, about 50-60 km from the city of Liège where the UFO's were sighted as well.

I first read about the Belgian UFO wave last year and was stunned. I was totally unaware of it at the time, mostly because I was 4-6 years old at the time.

Dispite living quite close to Liège, I haven't seen anything abnormal in the skies. No strange lights, no UFO's and certainly no aliens. In the year 2000 however, I did see a faintlight traveling from North-East to South-South-West. I traveled at high distance, at a moderate speed without making any turns, accelerations or halts. It kept on going and going. This could have been either a satelite or MIR and I certainly don't think it was an UFO which I thought it was when I saw it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest -Slayer Boi-

I'm from belgium to... (i live in Kortrijk)

@ the first look, i thougt (sorry for the mis spells and thing like that, i'm only 11 biggrin.gif ) it was an airplane...

but, after i read the text...i think its like a 'secret thing' from the army...

wacko.gifblink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

That is strange because I live near Eglin AFB in Fla and coming home one night I saw lights in that pattern.

Weird......

I just chalked it up to the fighter planes doing maneuvers, maybe not.

I do know that Gulf Breeze has their share of UFO sightings. Haven't seen any myself, but that is what I have heard.

• 2 weeks later...

compelling story... can we really argue with the facts given (if they are true that is cuz i havent read much into this sighting) and can we call 13,500 witnessess liars??

it would be interesting to find out what witness reports of this incident said, i'll have a look around and see if there is anything about.

• 3 weeks later...

These were very common a while ago is Belgium. The governement of coarse, ,denied it all. And since, have remained at that standpoint.

In any case, most know the truth.

• 1 month later...

THIS IS THE SAME THING THAT A NUMBER OF US SAW IN THE SUMMER OF 1992, DURING A HEATWAVE IN WHICH OUR POWER WENT OUT AND AS WE ALL STOOD OUTSIDE WAITING FOR THE POWER TO COME ON , WHAT LOOKED LIKE THIS OBJECT PASSED OVERHEAD JUST OVER THE TREE TOPS COMPLETELY SILENT AND SLOW MOVING. THE NEXT DAY REPORTS OF IT WERE PRINTED IN THE LOCAL PAPER IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY. HAVING BEEN IN THE MILITARY SINCE THEN I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING CAPABLE OF MANEUVERS SO SLOW AS THAT AND AS NOISELESS. ONE OTHER THING I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT....BESIDES THE THREE LIGHTS LOCATED AT EACH CORNER, THE LIGHT SOURCE IN THE CENTER WAS MADE UP OF A CLUSTER OF 5 LIGHTS IN A CIRCLE ABOUT A SIXTH LIGHT IN THE CETER OF THEM. THIS WAS IN THE WALLINGFORD, CONNECTICUT AREA.

It is fake ... huh.gif

it looks like a photo of light bulb from underneath ... wink.gif

i was surfing thru the forum, looking at the topics when i came across this. that photo looks incredibly similar to the one i saw in the early 90's in south carolina. there were no newspaper articles that i have been able to find on my sightning. the only difference in what i saw and the photo is 2 of the corners were not lite up, and the one that was lite, you could see inside it, that part of the corner was clear. im not giving an opinion on the photo, just that it looks like what i saw.

just wondering if anyone besides me saw this is south carolina in the early 90's?

• 2 weeks later...

It is mostly seen in Belgium so mabey it is a topsecret military aircraft that they are testing. Who knows?

Thats the rub so to speak. No one knows. But if its a top secret government aircraft, why is it seen all over the world instead of mainly in one area? Just a thought

• 2 weeks later...

It could be a big frisbee thing with flashy lights on...

...or i could be wrong... whistling2.gif