Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

i hated The Shining because i read the book first and they change everything. the only thing scary about it is Shelley Duvall.

when i was little i hated the part in Pet Sematary with Rachel's sister. but after finally watching it, i have to agree with everybody else that The Exorcist is the scariest movie i have ever seen.

For my money, the Exorcist. I saw it with my wife and my aunt on a cold, rainy night in early 1974.

When you remember what the weather was like on a night you saw a movie 37 years ago, then you know it's had an effect on you!

For my money, the Exorcist. I saw it with my wife and my aunt on a cold, rainy night in early 1974.

When you remember what the weather was like on a night you saw a movie 37 years ago, then you know it's had an effect on you!

Cinema back then was the only way to watch movies. I think it was Psycho that made a huge impression on people because the whole cinema was bedecked with spooky drapes and they even had a musty smell pervade the place so by the time the movie started people were already running to the wash rooms.

Even the stuff I've posted on here never looks or feels the same on TV as when you go to the cinema.

Cinema back then was the only way to watch movies. I think it was Psycho that made a huge impression on people because the whole cinema was bedecked with spooky drapes and they even had a musty smell pervade the place so by the time the movie started people were already running to the wash rooms.

Even the stuff I've posted on here never looks or feels the same on TV as when you go to the cinema.

I definitely agree! The Exorcist goes to a whole new level on the big screen, although it's still pretty effective on TV I suppose.

But of course we've all seen movies that have no place on the big screen. They're bad enough on the small screen. :D

Quarentine was dang scary, and of course the film that kept me awake for days after seeing. Event Horizon, that scared the life out of me. Sci-fi and horror go so well together.

Not really a horror, but I thought Session 9 had its fair share of creepy moments.

Ju-on: The Grudge scared the hell out of me.

REC had some pretty shocking moments too

More recently - a low budget Aussie movie called Lake Mungo sent quite a few shivers down my spine. It's filmed like a ghost documentary. Pretty effective I thought

• Like 1

IT

Any of the Alein movies! The first two are the worst! Nasty spidder-things on your face,then you start choking and they come out of your chest? I can't watch them anymore,give me horrific nightmares!

E.T. is the scarriest movie of all time.

Followed by Dawn of the Dead

then Signs

Same here man. Signs totally freaked me out :| I was carrying water with me everywhere for weeks after it :L

I haven't been scared by horror movies since I was a child. I still see a lot of horror movies though but only for the entertainment value and the black humor. Those so hyped low-budget movies with shaky hand-held cameras bore me to death. A good horror movie has nothing to do with gore or CGI though. The Shining has both the eerie mood and some humor while Evil Dead was the other way around. It all depends on a good script and good plot if it is good or not. Although there is no movie that scares me, there is one movie character that has always creeped me out. Which might seem funny to you since it was made 90 years ago and released to the public the year after. Funny this thread comes up because I was surfing for Graf Orlock pics only yesterday. I actually found a rare one not belonging to the movie itself. It was taken in-between takes showing Max Schreck sitting down resting. There was also some information about it. Schreck never went out of make-up or costumes but stayed in-character even during breaks, something that obviously wasn't as common back then as it is today. Not only does he keep on creeeping out audiences 75 years after he actually passed on but he even creeped out the crew and other actors too. I suppose it was that kind of creepiness that inspired the movie Shadow Of The Vampire from 2000 with Willem Dafoe as Schreck and John Malkovich as Murnau. Since that movie plays with the thought that Murnau actually found a real vampire to play the part as Orlock. How else would they get such an absurd idea anyway? 90 years later we obviously have a lot of more advanced technology than back then. Because of the primitive cameras Murnau was actually forced to shoot at daylight. But still, there's nothing as creepy as Max Schreck. His eyes looks like they could pierce through your soul itself and he truly looks hauntingly evil to the core. :devil:

I have a copy of "Shadow of the Vampire" in my DVD collection. I have tried watching it twice now... And I fell asleep after about 40 minutes both times... That movie has a superb cast, incredible performances, great direction, a witty script and truly superb cinematography... and it all jells into one boring and blah movie... And I hate to say that because it has so many really good points in favor of it, but it's the truth...

• Like 1

:w00t::w00t:

What is the scariest movie you have ever seen in your life? ... :ph34r:

the original "psycho".

Edited by greywolf

• 3 weeks later...

The movie that effected me the most was The Ring. I watched it when I was 14, and I can't even describe what it did to me mentally. It was more than just being freaked out. I sat and cried after viewing it because I was afraid to go to sleep in my room, and I knew my father wouldn't let me sleep in his room.

Even years after seeing it, I was still terrified of seeing a little girl with long black hair in the dark. I watched it again for the first time a few days ago, at age 22, and was like, "This is the movie that nearly made me have to get counseling?" It's still scary, but not nearly as much as before.

• Like 2

I don't know why so many people think The Shining is scary. I watched it and it was totally weak and boring. But to each his own i guess.

• Like 1

Fire in the Sky

I was 11 (I think) when I saw it and the whole deal with it being a true story and everything, yeah, completely freaked me out. I couldn't sleep at night for a long time after that for fear of being abducted :alien:

Other than that, I love a good horror movie (or book or game) but they never scare me. I LOVED Fourth Kind. It was creepy as heck, which I appreciate.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

The Shining

Jaws

Omen

The Exorcist

In that order, I really avoid horrors when I can - Never did see the "Saw" series of movies for instance.

I'm a huge fan of scary movies and I have to reiterate what some have already said: I still consider The Exorcist the scariest movie I've ever seen. Still to this day there are parts where I have to hide my eyes and you couldn't pay me to watch it alone!

I have to admit that Paranormal Activity scared the #$%! out of me. A few years ago I went through "something" that I tend to call a haunting (for lack of other explanations) so I think I found the movie relatable.

For an honorable mention; The Sick House. From the summary at IMDB: "Terror lurks in the old orphanage, beneath a disused London hospital - a Seventeeth Century malevolence, the Plague Doctor, has returned to complete his evil masterpiece..." For some reason this movie really got to me and I slept with a light one for a week!

I can't believe these movies actually scared people. Paranormal activity was THE WORST movie i've ever see, only trumped by its sequel. The Exrocist is hilarious along with The Shining. I love horror movies though, which may be why they don't scare me i'm too used to them... The only one that did effect me was The Blair Witch Project i got over it fairly quickly though.

Guest Tom_Servo

The first few Friday the 13th movies messed me up (I had night terrors for years) as a kid but to watch them now I just see boobs. :blush:

• Like 1

Jaws and the original Alien scared the *beep* out of me. Now that I'm older nothing Hollywood spits out can exceed some of the things I've seen/experienced in real life.

• Like 1

The scariest films to me are still Nightmare on Elm Streets. I think not being able to fall asleep and someone invading your dreams is the scariest thing for me.