Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

I think The Grudge and The Ring had the most lasting effects on me. While I didn't get too scared while watching them, afterward I would freak out whenever the TV show I was watching would suddenly turn off and turn into that white loud staticky screen (usually from accidentally pressing a button on the remote) and kept imagining that creepy-ass little boy from The Grudge appearing at the side of my bed. :)

Edited by Jennzie

Insidious scared the crap out of me when I recently saw it so I consider that my scariest movie. I don't really count movies with a crap ton of jump scares scary, just annoying. I do like the movies with a creepy atmosphere and the suspense that puts you on the edge. Gore is okay too, but I don't care for the shocking gore like Serbian Film or Human Centipede.

insidious_site.jpg

Insidious also kinda scared me, but only because of all the loud sudden noises (which I agree is pretty annoying). I hated the ending, though.

Edited by Jennzie

The Innocents is a must see horror film for especially for you since Carnival Of Souls is one of your scariest horror films.

Well its more psychologically haunting,than scary.Its just one of my faves.

I loved the creepy guy who sort of looks like Grandpa from the Munsters.I have it on VHS .

I will def check out The Innocents

1408. Well made film. The Sixth Sense for the same reason.

• Like 1

Scariest; Mirrors and Dead alive/Brain dead.

Best movie ever; The shining, I have watched it so many times I know it off by heart.

anything with sandra bullock ,

• Like 1

The first Paranormal Activity, I loved that there was no "monster" that was shown and no special effects...had trouble sleeping for a few nights.

And the first half of 1408. When they started adding all the special effects, it stopped being scary.

Anything with Hugh Grant or Julia Roberts in it!

• 2 weeks later...

Stan Helsing, it was that scary I couldn't watch the whole film... :blink:

anything with adam sandler in

• Like 3

I dont know whats sadder, the fact that some people were actually scared from watching Paranormal Activity or the fact that some people actually liked it...

• Like 1

there's no more movies that scares the person any more these days .. perhaps exorism of emily rose ?

i recently watched the midnight meat train .. which is pretty cool but scary ? not that much

horror movies are dying .. rest in peace

The movie that use to scare me the most as a teenager and young adult was no doubt the exorcist. The exorcist and Halloween scared the crap out of me as a child. The exorcist was a movie ahead of its time. The sound, special effects and the fact that an innocent child was invaded by this evil entity. Another thing that frightened me about the exorcist was everyone kept saying it was a real story it was based on a true event and the catholic church would neither confirm or deny the story was real until several years later.

The second is Halloween. John Carpenter knocked it out of the park with the original Halloween. Everything since has been an imitation of Halloween. This guy kills his sister at 6 then just kills anyone and everything in his old neighborhood for no reason. Even kills dogs in the neighborhood. Doing all of this without uttering a single line in the film. The only thing you hear is this sinister breathing. The music, lighting and script were perfect for that film.

Edited by Darth Tyranus

i found the forth kind scary. the owl was really eerie. no other movies ive seen so far have scared me ;O

Insidious scared the crap out of me when I recently saw it so I consider that my scariest movie. I don't really count movies with a crap ton of jump scares scary, just annoying. I do like the movies with a creepy atmosphere and the suspense that puts you on the edge. Gore is okay too, but I don't care for the shocking gore like Serbian Film or Human Centipede.

insidious_site.jpg

I found it was better in theaters even though I laughed while everyone else screamed. Bought the dvd and watched it at home, wasn't that great.

There was at least one scene like this, yes. laugh.gif OMG Tim Currie is just scary. He even scared me in Clue. blink.gif That was him, right? laugh.gif

If you want a different view on Tim Currie watch the Rocky Horror Piture Show if you haven't seen it. It's not scary but it's different.

Edited by Zirna

I've already chimed in with the movies that scared me the most but I thought I'd mention the movie that disturbed me the most. There's definitely a difference; a movie about a haunted house or a demon possessed person might make you jump while watching and will maybe make it hard to fall asleep at night but when the sun comes up the next morning it's all forgotten. Movies that seriously disturb you stay with you a lot longer. That movie for me was August Underground. It's actually a trilogy: August Undergound, August Underground's Mordum, and August Underground's Penance. I watched all three in a row and didn't even finish Penance. I literally pushed my laptop away and had to leave the room just to clear my head. These aren't movies to be enjoyed or really even liked, just endured.

There's not really a plot per se, just two serial (three in Mordum) killers filming their exploits. They basically rape, kill, dismember, and torture anybody and everybody they come across. It's a faux snuff film that blurs the line; the gore is so real and the footage so poor and grainy that it legitimately could be taken for the real thing. I know A Serbian Film is touted as the most disturbing film ever and part of me wants to watch it just so I can say I did, but the August Underground trilogy left me wishing I'd never even seen it, so I'll probably never man up (woman up?) and watch it.

If you decide to find this movie, you've been warned.

• Like 1

lol the shinning, its more entertaining the scary [im not going to hurt you im just giong to bash your brains in, im going to bash them RIGHT THE F#CK IN!!] but for real the scariest movie ive seen would have to be "it".

I dont know whats sadder, the fact that some people were actually scared from watching Paranormal Activity or the fact that some people actually liked it...

My thought exactly! It was so boring, uneventful. Typical cliche crap.

Watched myself dancing in a "home video" of a wedding reception, back in the day.

Man, that was traumatic.

• Like 3

insidious_site.jpg

Darth Maul?

• Like 1

Not a film but a BBC drama...The Woman In Black...(the forerunner to the movie and ten times more frightening)

• Like 1