Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

My dad used to love telling ghost stories - and wildly impossible tall-tales... He especially liked telling one about "The Ghost of San Cristobal" - he heard it while we were stationed in Puerto Rico - About an old time Spanish nobleman who was beheaded and buried with his horse (for some weird reason)... every year on Halloween he (and his horse) would rise from the grave and ride about searching for his head... Dad use to really love telling how the poor guards of the fortress would be out on midnight rounds and see the horseman riding at them - making no sound at all - then as they caught up with the fleeing guard the horses front hooves would turn into grasping claws and drag the guard back to the grave with them... He would always follow up with a very ominous and creepy description of the horse approaching it's next victim and then grab us....

Hmmm... no wonder I'm so demented....

Your dad sounds way cool! I bet it was fun to listen to his stories. Like me, my dad's favorite time of year was Halloween. It gave him an excuse to scare the bejesus out of every kid who was brave enough to make their way to our door. He rigged a ghost that would fly toward the kids as they got out of their car. He played this record of haunted house sounds, and he always dressed as scary as possible. The bravest kids were always awarded with a ton of candy and much laughter from dad. A few years after he passed away, I found his massive collection of horror novels and scores of notebooks filled with ideas for Halloween scares.

I just looked up the August Underground trilogy and did a good ol' Wikipedia Plot reading of them all. It's just... ugh theres no way that "disgusting" "gross" or "horrifying" can describe it.

The Ring (the Japanese original) is probably the scariest movie I've ever seen. Even now, years later, I get a twinge of terror when I'm rinsing my hair in the shower, because I think of the scary girl with her hair hanging down. Scares me silly.

I was disappointed by the American version, because Naomi Watts is still Naomi Watts.

• Like 1

I just looked up the August Underground trilogy and did a good ol' Wikipedia Plot reading of them all. It's just... ugh theres no way that "disgusting" "gross" or "horrifying" can describe it.

There's no way I would class that trilogy as horror, it's just gore for gore's sake. There's a very loose storyline and I use the word loose lightly. Goes up with films like Slaughtered vomit dolls and a serbian film as just using shock and sex to try and become infamous.

No one has mentioned the Human Centipede. Part 2 was even more disturbing than part 1.

Part 2 was absurd, awful and disappointing. The first film had a mad former surgeon who you could at least for 90 minutes believe was crazy and doing these things. The second had a fat midget whose only form of anaesthetic was hammers over the head (and the amount he gave, 75% of the centipede wouldve been dead before he started), all his 12 or so victims go missing from the same place yet noone notices the fact, or all the blood he never tidies up. And his only motive/expertise being the fact he watched the first film? It was junk. Not disturbing, just riddled with plotholes.

I recently watched a film called Martyr, which has been called the 'French Serbian film', which I disagree wholly with. There's no sexual aspect to it at all and it actually has a storyline. In fact I would recommend it to anyone who wants to watch a film that will really shock them in places (and it will).

A good spooky (not jumpy) film is The Abandoned. I also like the British film 'Hush', which isn't so much scary as intense and realistic.

Guest Xetan

Films like this and the Poughkeepsie Tapes aren't horror, they're simply gross and stupid. Gorefests for strange fetishists.

Despite what everyone was saying about the paranormal activity movies I thought those were pretty scary. Watching them alone and with friends. When I was over a friend house his little brother the little twit sat next to me. When scary parts were coming up (He had already seen the movie) like someone slowing going up to the cupboard he would scream "BOO!" randomly nearly giving a heart attack every time I didn't see it coming. I probably spent more time watching him than the movie after the first time he did it lol. :lol:

• Like 1

Wolf creek really scared and affected me.

It put me off scary films. I think because its partly based on a real serial killer.

Edited by spursfan

Stir of Echoes creeped me out quite a lot when I was younger. Edited by Maestro
  • Like 2

Films like this and the Poughkeepsie Tapes aren't horror, they're simply gross and stupid. Gorefests for strange fetishists.

Just curious, where does is specifically say horror in the thread? its not in the title, not in the OP. Definition of Scare isnt all jump. Scare is a cause of great fear or nervousness.

Yeah, like I said, it's an endurance thing. I wanted to be able to say I watched the "sickest movie ever," but instead of feeling proud I felt like I needed a shower! Fred Vogel, the director and star, has basically said he wants to show that serial killers aren't cool and glamorous but sick and ugly--well, point taken.

No horror movies have ever scared me.

But obviously they do scare a lot of people.

Way back when, my wife and I were watching the first 'Alien'

and when the 'face-hugger' dropped down on someone - the women

sitting next to my wife jumped straight into her lap ! ! !

Edited by Hartmut

Going to rerecommend Martyrs as my post may get lost in the shuffle otherwise. Ignore people saying it's like A Serbian Film, it's not. The psychological horror here is more than I've seen in any other film. The director builds hope up and up only to rip it right from under your feet.

The Woman in Black....the old version....scared the pants off me when I was little....

saw it again a few years ago, expecting to be well beyond desensitised to that sort of thing by now......scared the pants off me again :cry:

There's one bit in particular that gets me everytime....goosebumps just thinking about it.....

Iron clad.

It's not supposed to be a scary movie, but when the battle scenes happened I felt asif I was their and my adrenaline kicked in.

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I still say Hernry: Portrait of a Serial Killer was one of the most F"ed up movies I have ever seen and it scared the hell out of me :no: :no:

There's a new movie called "Lovely Molly", which is a demonic possession story from one of the creative talents behind "The Blair Witch Project". The first half of the movie is scarier than the second half, and it's dark, disturbing stuff, which uses its creative sound design to great, creepy effect. There's a scene about 40-45 minutes involving the main character in her bedroom and something coming up the stairs which is one of the scariest moments I've witnessed in 30 + plus years of cinema-going.

I'm not really sure of which films have scared me, but a couple i did find enjoyable to watch were 'Martyrs' and 'Dread'. Although 'Martyrs' started off well enough, it did get a bit silly, but still good enough to watch.

What is the scariest movie you have ever seen in your life? ... ph34r.gif

There is one movie that I have watched multiple times and still sends chills down my spine : "Stanley Kubricks The Shining"... it's a brilliantly directed and s*spam filter*.

More recent movies that are actually scary - it might have become a mass-market thing but the first "Paranormal Activity" works as a pretty decent movie for scares. Beyond that I am drawing a blank. Don't get me wrong - there have been several really well done horror movies in recent years ("May", "Cabin in the woods", "Scream" to name three random ones that come to mind) but they aren't actually scary - just well done.

There is one movie that I have watched multiple times and still sends chills down my spine : "Stanley Kubricks The Shining"... it's a brilliantly directed and s*spam filter*.

More recent movies that are actually scary - it might have become a mass-market thing but the first "Paranormal Activity" works as a pretty decent movie for scares. Beyond that I am drawing a blank. Don't get me wrong - there have been several really well done horror movies in recent years ("May", "Cabin in the woods", "Scream" to name three random ones that come to mind) but they aren't actually scary - just well done.

I love Cabin in the Woods that movie is perfect in my eyes, It has just enough gore and scary moments in it...Its also extremely funny

• Like 1

I love Cabin in the Woods that movie is perfect in my eyes, It has just enough gore and scary moments in it...Its also extremely funny

Plus, that movie is the smartest breakdown of horror movie cliches since "Scream"... And, let's face it, it was nice to see so many Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse alumni in one spot.

It occurs to me... I have yet to hit a Joss Whedon project I really dislike. I thought "Dollhouse" was that at first but then episode 6 rolled around and it became something other than what it's early episodes promised and was really good. Here's hoping Whedon can keep going for "Avengers 2"!

And I have to explain - I divide the type of scares a movie can bring. There are the jump scares (And "Cabin in the woods" had those) but I don't really consider that scary - just surprising. It takes more than that to be "Scary" IMHO - a movie has to leave one afraid to turn out the lights at night after seeing it to qualify. That's why I can't call the "Friday the 13th" or movies like that "Scary" no mater how much I enjoy watching them...

Edited by Wookietim

Not sure really, but zombie and other suitable apocalyptic movies are probably quite good. Strip away the zombies/rage-infected numpties/triffids/epidemic/aliens/whatever and you have quite a scary realisation of what can happen to the human race and our cosy existence if society was to ever break down. It's dangerously close moreso than ever before in this current economic climate. Electricity, heating, sanitation, communication, travel, food; everything grinding to a halt, and the human race left to revert back to what we nowadays mock as "primitive" living, but soon realise that farming, self defence, foraging, tool, clothing and weapon crafting, they're all skills that we've lost! Being shunted into a dark age from an age of relative comfort for the Western World... Would you survive? Would I?

To be hoenst it was the Day of the Triffids book that freaked me out more than anything, there's a line about having to learn how to farm somewhere, but not knowing how to plough, or even MAKE a plough; that one line hit me like a brick wal!!

• Like 1

Not sure really, but zombie and other suitable apocalyptic movies are probably quite good. Strip away the zombies/rage-infected numpties/triffids/epidemic/aliens/whatever and you have quite a scary realisation of what can happen to the human race and our cosy existence if society was to ever break down. It's dangerously close moreso than ever before in this current economic climate. Electricity, heating, sanitation, communication, travel, food; everything grinding to a halt, and the human race left to revert back to what we nowadays mock as "primitive" living, but soon realise that farming, self defence, foraging, tool, clothing and weapon crafting, they're all skills that we've lost! Being shunted into a dark age from an age of relative comfort for the Western World... Would you survive? Would I?

To be hoenst it was the Day of the Triffids book that freaked me out more than anything, there's a line about having to learn how to farm somewhere, but not knowing how to plough, or even MAKE a plough; that one line hit me like a brick wal!!

Nice post.

Day Of The Triffids is one of the most fantastic sci-fi horror apocalyptic stories in print, and was a big influence on Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. Share many similar themes including the start in the hospital and the abrupt end of civilization as we know it.