Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

/\ One of the best scenes in history!!! LIGHT. OF. MY. LIFE. :D

Yes Scowl, I agree with much of that. Kubrick really just vacuumed the life and complexities from out of Jack Torrance and Wendy. There is so much packed into the novel that outlines and shades in and suggests the methods to their flaws (and I suppose madness) that were just waiting to be unlocked by the sombre energies of that hotel. He created a painting really, not something that will bend if you touch it as you just can't get anywhere near to the damn surface, it's just all over the darn place trynna keep that film in one comfortable place in your interpretations :D

Kubrick mostly used it as a vehicle for his own messages and themes, such is the arrogance of his artistry, two magnificent takes on one central column imo.

Yeah I didn't really know what to think of the shinning when I first saw it, I'm a fan of Stanley kubricks though, so I ended up liking it. Kubrick is a great director, I own A ClockWork Orange and also 2001: A Space oddessey

I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange yet as I need to read the story, Full Metal Jacket and 2001 are just as beautifully shot, the latter falling into the same bizarre assault as The Shining :lol: 2001 is creepy because it's so surreal yet at the same time REAL. Space is always a disturbing reality. That is why films set there can automatically play the isolated theme, just a pure expanse of little dots and vast blackness. I wonder if a horror film set in space will ever carry the same impact that Alien did. The first two are fantastic at building up suspense and bleakness.

I read A ClockWork Orange, not an easy book to get through because the characters use there slang and its like none other Iv ever heard. Great book though. The thing about 2001: A space Oddessey is that computer intelligence HAL9000, that monotone voice it speaks in is pretty scary in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to giving it a read when I finally get onto it! Yeah that voice just perfectly connotes artificial intelligence and the spooky caricature it presents, that's why movies like The Matrix and Terminator freak me out, could be a real possibility as technology gets more and more complex and cunning. With movie monsters like The Thing and Alien and vampires etc etc at least you have a black and white coloured cartoon to readily accept as an enemy. With films such as The Exorcist, The Shining and The Matrix, the enemy is so much more detailed and textured.

• Like 1

Gonna add Phantasm, Freaks, Puppetmaster, and The Hills Have Eyes. *shiver*

Yes Scowl, I agree with much of that. Kubrick really just vacuumed the life and complexities from out of Jack Torrance and Wendy. There is so much packed into the novel that outlines and shades in and suggests the methods to their flaws (and I suppose madness) that were just waiting to be unlocked by the sombre energies of that hotel. He created a painting really, not something that will bend if you touch it as you just can't get anywhere near to the damn surface, it's just all over the darn place trynna keep that film in one comfortable place in your interpretations :D

There's a lot of stuff in it that wouldn't easily translate to the screen. The saddest thing is that Stanley friggin' Kubrick, who everyone in the industry believes is one the greatest film makers ever, didn't even try most of the time. When he did it was just a bunch of quick screwy random images: the skeleton ballroom, Jack seeing the maze turn real, the elevator of blood, Jack in the vintage photo. This is the random junk that lesser film makers throw into their movies to give the impression of a deeper meaning.

I think he was far too influenced by great actors. He did everything Peter Sellers asked him to in two movies. Once it was clear that the audience would love every second that Jack Nicholson was crazy on the screen, there would be no need to waste time for a subtle transformation. The Making Of showed how much Kubrick was enjoying Nicholson's performance.

• Like 1

I remember a film from years ago about a phone box, and you go into it, but can't get back out everyone tries to get you out but fail so the only way is to take the whole phone box with you in it away for extraction. You end up in some giant super warehouse i think full of other phone boxes and you become hooked up to some sort of liquidising machine that slowly feeds on you for whoever, i think it was a French film?

Late 70's i think.

That's nothing compared to My Little Pony: The Movie.

My Little Pony the movie is up there, I remember being frightened of the smooths as a kid. lmao But on a real note I'd have to say, The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister was pretty darn scary too me also Stephen Kings It. BTW not a scary movie but John Dies At The End is a great flick, check it out if you don't know about it, and read This Book Is Full Of Spiders if you haven't.

God Speed! TNO

Edited by The Nameless One

[media=]

[/media]

NUFF SAID

Yea but it soon sank.. I was hoping he would actually GET Wendy.. She annoyed me...

I was also wondering why the hedges didn't come to life in that one?

Yea but it soon sank.. I was hoping he would actually GET Wendy.. She annoyed me...

Must all woman be dumb as rocks in horror movies? Stanley Kubrick thought so!

I was also wondering why the hedges didn't come to life in that one?

Because they wouldn't have looked perfect and Kubrick never did anything that wasn't perfect!

I liked how Kubrick spent years and years working on "A.I." trying to figure out how to make everything in it perfect but giving up because the robot teddy bear would have looked fake. After he died, Spielberg took over the project and had it in theaters in a year.

• Like 1

There's a lot of stuff in it that wouldn't easily translate to the screen. The saddest thing is that Stanley friggin' Kubrick, who everyone in the industry believes is one the greatest film makers ever, didn't even try most of the time. When he did it was just a bunch of quick screwy random images: the skeleton ballroom, Jack seeing the maze turn real, the elevator of blood, Jack in the vintage photo. This is the random junk that lesser film makers throw into their movies to give the impression of a deeper meaning.

I think he was far too influenced by great actors. He did everything Peter Sellers asked him to in two movies. Once it was clear that the audience would love every second that Jack Nicholson was crazy on the screen, there would be no need to waste time for a subtle transformation. The Making Of showed how much Kubrick was enjoying Nicholson's performance.

Funny thing Stephen King absolutely HATED the movie.

White Noise was scary.

I know, but the constant complaining Why Jack this and why Jack that?...Her voice just went through me...

The young boy who played Danny was pretty good.

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I can't bear to watch film of rock and mountain climbers, or idiots standing on the edges of cliff and overhangs. Actually a distant relative was killed in a fall from a cliff years ago in Scotland. That might have something to do with it.

I dozed off watching "The Exorcist" for the first time. The few beers I'd had before might have been why.

I could not make a hired DVD of "The Ring" work properly and eventually gave up on it.

"The Blair Witch Project" was just bloody annoying.

There's a few good shocks in plenty of movies but I have not been really frightened by any movie since I was a kid and saw "Them" where giant ants arrive in LA. For a long time afterward the sound of distant cicadas gave me the willies.

"The Woman in Black" made for British TV years ago was scarier than any movie I have seen for years.

The scariest thing is not the movies its the price they charge you to watch them. :cry:

Because they wouldn't have looked perfect and Kubrick never did anything that wasn't perfect!

I liked how Kubrick spent years and years working on "A.I." trying to figure out how to make everything in it perfect but giving up because the robot teddy bear would have looked fake. After he died, Spielberg took over the project and had it in theaters in a year.

And in actuallity Most of the time its the females that survive horror movies, I cant really think of any that didnt have a female coming out as the hero

White Noise was scary.

That actually was pretty scary, but I think Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is even scarier. Just in the fact that, that type of stuff really happens. I remember after I saw that movie I was stunned

And in actuallity Most of the time its the females that survive horror movies, I cant really think of any that didnt have a female coming out as the hero

That actually was pretty scary, but I think Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is even scarier. Just in the fact that, that type of stuff really happens. I remember after I saw that movie I was stunned

I have never seen that movie. I am not much for scary movies. I don't seek them out.

• Like 1

The Shining. It so scared me as a kid (Just the trailer, yeah I am that old lol). And then when I did see it as a preteen I couldn't finish watching it. The Twin scene, the Tub scene and halls running with blood still freaks me out to this day.

The Shining but the TV miniseries version. It was done with Stephen King helping out. The bath tub scene gave me nightmares as an adult.
  • Like 1

Scariest movie to me by concept is the fly.. if not the actual film. Something about the notion creeps me out big time. I guess by concept human centipede is pretty awful... but isn't worth of discussion imo lol.

Edited by Silver Surfer

I would have to say the Exoricist ,that movie was so ill I still can't watch it alone.

• Like 1

The Shining but the TV miniseries version. It was done with Stephen King helping out. The bath tub scene gave me nightmares as an adult.

You gotta give the actor of the TV series that played Jack Torrence a hand because its pretty ballsy to step into a role that was previously played by Jack Nicholson

• Like 1

I have never seen that movie. I am not much for scary movies. I don't seek them out.

Yeah Im a fan of horror movies, But even the director that made Henry, said that everyone that was in that movie and had anything to do with it is probably going to hell just for some of the scenes in that movie . :w00t:

I would say the old school black and white reels that didn't rely on special effects or cosmetics are the best of the genre and we here in the east are luckier because we have a wide range of choices across the board from Hindustani Thai Korean Japan China Hong Kong Taiwan and South East Asia for the scares ... the old style really depended on the actors and story for the spooky attacks and the old school movies does it best ... not so much in the visual sense but in terms of psychological and suspense I would say Japan does it best ... but then one should still say nothing is scarier than just plain old real life reality .....

531737_397061540359924_1249515487_n.jpg

yups ... that's a scary thought when you think about it ...

~

• Like 4

I vote for the Exorcist too. Something about the music, the imagery and the overall dreariness of the settings makes it all the more scary. I remember the Omen being somewhat creepy, but I haven't seen it in quite a while, maybe I'll have to watch that one again to see how it holds up after all these years.