Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smile.JPG

Arkitecht

A supposedly "haunted" image dating back to the beginnings of the internet, smile.jpg has a reputation for driving those who view it insane, making its victims view it in their mind's eye at every turn. While it has been discovered that these images in victims' minds are the result of epileptic seizures, there is no clear understanding of just WHY the image causes this. All of the victims who spoke up about their experiences however, have said that they are also visited by the dog-like creature in the image, named "smile.dog". When in these dreams, the only thing the victims can do is watch and listen as smile.dog tells them that the only respite to their torment is to "spread the word", and many of them recieve shortly thereafter a removable media via mail with no return address. Inside these media is said to be another copy or form of smile.dog, which the victim is encouraged to spread to others. It is not known whether or not these stories are true however, as both Snopes and Wikipedia have no articles regarding it, and any attempt to create one is summarily removed by the administrators of those sites.

-Hey, take a look at this image, smile.jpg

-OSHI- What is that?!?

-Just spreading the word...

URL: http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/599/smiletq0.jpg :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Setton

• Alienated Being

• Arkitecht

• Roselynne

It reminds me of the Blue Meanie, though typically I couldn't find a picture at the right angle.

the-chief-blue-meanie1.jpg

Edited by schizoidwoman

Know your meme

Origin

Smile.jpg’s true origin is unknown, but is believed to be first posted on the /x/ board on 4chan. The meme consists of a disturbing copypasta story, accompanied by a photoshopped picture of a dog. According to the article (which is just fake creepypasta, anyways), Smille.jpg was first discovered in 1992.

The Story

The story tells of a college student, looking for content to write about for an assignment. He gets a hold of a story from a woman who is traumatized by the image and later learns that Smile.jpg lead her to kill herself. Smile.jpg is told to cause epileptic fits during sleep, and the dog in the picture tells you to “spread the word” and only then it will leave your dreams alone. The college student ends up spreading the word by attaching the picture to the end of the article.

smile.dog.jpg

4chan...go figure. :)

Nibs

A supposedly "haunted" image dating back to the beginnings of the internet, smile.jpg has a reputation for driving those who view it insane, making its victims view it in their mind's eye at every turn. While it has been discovered that these images in victims' minds are the result of epileptic seizures, there is no clear understanding of just WHY the image causes this. All of the victims who spoke up about their experiences however, have said that they are also visited by the dog-like creature in the image, named "smile.dog". When in these dreams, the only thing the victims can do is watch and listen as smile.dog tells them that the only respite to their torment is to "spread the word", and many of them recieve shortly thereafter a removable media via mail with no return address. Inside these media is said to be another copy or form of smile.dog, which the victim is encouraged to spread to others. It is not known whether or not these stories are true however, as both Snopes and Wikipedia have no articles regarding it, and any attempt to create one is summarily removed by the administrators of those sites.

-Hey, take a look at this image, smile.jpg

-OSHI- What is that?!?

-Just spreading the word...

URL: http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/599/smiletq0.jpg :)

really bad photoshop. really stupid story.

really bad photoshop. really stupid story.

I'll admit it freaked me out at first glance but looking at it again, I have to agree with this ^^

Also, is it just me or does the dog look like it's had something shoved somewhere painful?

I'll admit it freaked me out at first glance but looking at it again, I have to agree with this ^^

Also, is it just me or does the dog look like it's had something shoved somewhere painful?

LOL!All i know is after seeing that pic,i wouldn't want to see him in my dreams ever!

Honestly... I kinda like ti. If I wasn't settled with my current background, I'd use it.

I did my online equivalent of peeking through my fingers. I scrolled past quickly, scrolled back up very slowly, got really creeped out and quickly scrolled back down again. Hope I don't go insane.

I did my online equivalent of peeking through my fingers. I scrolled past quickly, scrolled back up very slowly, got really creeped out and quickly scrolled back down again. Hope I don't go insane.

Well if you do, you'll be in good company. There'll be 202 of us at the moment :P

yeah that dog is kind of creepy

I see a new avatar for someone coming. Dunno who... but mark my words. :lol: It is creepy and makes you want to stare, but it's all a very bad photoshop, lol.

I looked at that image a few days ago and just laughed but since then I keep seeing it. Just pops into my head for no reason. Hmm.

That IS a creepy image.

meow purr :(

I looked at that image a few days ago and just laughed but since then I keep seeing it. Just pops into my head for no reason. Hmm.

Yes I keep thinking about it too but I'm pretty sure that's because we're told to expect to keep seeing it so our subconscious is on the look out for it and it sometimes pops into our thoughts.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love the pic, tooooooo funnnnnyyyyyyy -- i would smack the **** out of that thing if it ever disturbed me while I was getting my beauty sleep

Hey, that's like the dogfood commercial about the "doggy dentures"!

Well, the first photo is badly photoshoped and the second is a husky with a more plausible photoshoped smile. Nonetheless, still an interesting bit.

Those are the kind of images I usually see every time I close my eyes. I don't see why is this one unusual? :-)

Edited by Krigla

Hey, that's like the dogfood commercial about the "doggy dentures"!

Doggy Dentures: Keep your pooch smiling all day long!*

*caution: may cause insanity and unexplained death

:D

Edited by Setton

Hmmm....Nothing, I haven't seen a thing and I saw it a few days ago. So now I tested it on my brother in law... I'll keep you updated. lol

Yeah, I forgot about this dog till just now. I think humanity is safe. :yes:

I just looked at that pic, how creepy. :blink:

Wait...I'm getting a text. :blink:

It says "spread the word...woof" and the contact name is D.O.G

:blink:

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Was scared by that picture and now can't help but think about it DX

Is that real?

:unsure2:

Oh man I couldn't leave with out an :lol:

Edited by The Silver Thong