Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Royal Family

H.H. Holmes

They are a part of our history and our heritage.

The Royal Family does a lot for this country.

-Prince Phillip for example started the Duke of Edinburgh award which is a youth charity in which you get an award out of it. Its pretty good a lot of people do it at my college, i had the chance to but didnt take it wish i did now you, get to and do all sorts of activities.

The Queen does a lot of things to help the country she travels a lot to the commonwealth realms which is difficult considering her age, She does a lot of ceremonial duties of course. and our military would be completely different if they got rid of the monarchy and created a republic. Tourism in London would drop considering there would be no point in having all the regiments that switch to guard the Palace and other royal properties. No queen so what the hell would happen to the palace?

Prince Charles is involved in a lot of charity and he also has support of maintaining our old buildings for historic value.

Prince Harry & William are both serving in the military, serving their country. Don't see many politicians doing that do you?

So yeah, i support having a Royal Family its traditional, ceremonial and natural in these lands. The Queen is a figure head nothing more. If you live in England and want a republic p*** of to France, pip pip cheerio :tu:

Sorry but everything you just said could be done without the income from our tax..... The Royal family is a waste of money and it is disgusting how much they DON'T do for our country.

You just said yourself she is a figure head and nothing more.... So why have her here. You didn't give one valid and logical reason for the Royal family. She is also the Queen of the rest of the UK not just England....

Prince Harry is being payed to stay at home, not really serving the country... also what have they done that served the country?! LOL

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flashbangwollap

• Coffey

• Space Commander Travis

• Dougal

If monarchy is old and outdated then what does that make the republic? Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome were both republics and you can't get much more ancient than that. The republic is an ancient system of governance, too.

But that has it's place and works... the Royal family doesn't. lol

The reason why the British love their monarchy is because it's infinitely preferable to having a politician as a Head of State.

Wow so youa re saying the British love their Monarchy?! Erm OK so I'll go and tell everyone I know that they love their monarchy and should stop thinking otherwise. LOL

But that has it's place and works... the Royal family doesn't. lol

Wow so youa re saying the British love their Monarchy?! Erm OK so I'll go and tell everyone I know that they love their monarchy and should stop thinking otherwise. LOL

Agreed Coffey it's a well known fact that any form of government serving longer than about five years becomes corrupt and becomes more tyrannical with time.

Like Blair and company he had far too much of the vote and so he could do as he liked and look where that has got us.

While the options on who and what govern us at the moment are nothing like perfect at least we have the option to boot them out now and again.

Perhaps when the internet is fully available to everyone we can vote on what to do on every aspect of running the country and largely do away with corrupt politicians? Huh dream on I suppose.

So who is line to be the next king? It seems there hasn't been one in a while.

I still don't get all of this commotion about this wedding, though.

Next in line to the throne is the Queen's eldest son, Charles. However he's seen as being a bit eccentric (ie typically English!), and is getting on a bit himself. It's thought if he becomes King it probably won't be for very long. After Charles, second in line to the throne is William. William is the one getting married in April. He likely will become King and reign for some considerable time. Hence the commotion about his wedding.

And the reason we want a Royal Family that attracts so much global attention? Because no-one else has one or indeed anything like it (the Vatican probably comes closest). It makes us different. And not just the 11th least significant country in Europe.

It also means that - in theory at least - some jumped up twerp of a politician with the brains of a dessicated mouse does not have total control the military or indeed the country. A rather very useful little safety net in this day and age. Especially when the revolution comes :D

Agreed Coffey it's a well known fact that any form of government serving longer than about five years becomes corrupt and becomes more tyrannical with time.

Like Blair and company he had far too much of the vote and so he could do as he liked and look where that has got us.

While the options on who and what govern us at the moment are nothing like perfect at least we have the option to boot them out now and again.

Perhaps when the internet is fully available to everyone we can vote on what to do on every aspect of running the country and largely do away with corrupt politicians? Huh dream on I suppose.

Not a bad idea to be honest, there are lots of people who don't even bother voting cause it means making an effort, if it was a couple of clicks on the computer it wouldn't be such a big deal for people. Only downside is would they be able to rig it? (saying that I have my doubts about our system anyway)

Not a bad idea to be honest, there are lots of people who don't even bother voting cause it means making an effort, if it was a couple of clicks on the computer it wouldn't be such a big deal for people. Only downside is would they be able to rig it? (saying that I have my doubts about our system anyway)

Yes I guess you are right and that's the same on here people can meddle if they know what they are doing. Still someday who knows.

the upper classes love the royals because they are the benchmark to measure class wealth and status. (godlike super beings) who they can aspire to be as them.

in my mind they are elitist greedy murdering stuck up pigs. above the law and above regret or remorse....evil in person.

Edited by conspiracysrus

How can the Queen the Monarch of England pay tax like a normal citizen?

Have you seen her tax returns?

I can picture her sat by the fire at Balmoral filling in her tax returns with Phillip. "Hurry Phillip we have to get this in the post tonight or we might get thrown in goal!"

The Queen has paid tax since 1992, I haven't seen them, I doubt she's seen them either, why would she see them, I don't see mine when my accountant does them.

And your finial point is incorrect, she can't be put in jail, she can't be arrested.

The Queen has paid tax since 1992, I haven't seen them, I doubt she's seen them either, why would she see them, I don't see mine when my accountant does them.

And your finial point is incorrect, she can't be put in jail, she can't be arrested.

Well since we pay most of her up keep I doubt she worries about it.

I know she can't be arrested mate I was being ironic.

Well since we pay most of her up keep I doubt she worries about it.

I know she can't be arrested mate I was being ironic.

We pay for the running of the palaces and for Her public duties. HOWEVER all the income from the Crown Estates goes straight to the Exchequer, who then pay her back a lesser sum.

We pay for the running of the palaces and for Her public duties. HOWEVER all the income from the Crown Estates goes straight to the Exchequer, who then pay her back a lesser sum.

Good. Then why do we pay her anything?

Also those crown estates she has income on are given to her by birth right. You and I and most of the rest of us have to buy our own house and most of the land cannot be bought. I feel it's high time England / Britain caught up with the times.

Edited by Flashbangwollap

Do you know how much that would be yearly?!

We could probably have 10 new hospitals that would be fully kitted out for that much a year.

I see the royal family as the..... "flavour" added to our government.

They add history, and weight, and meaning and tradition.

Its terribly sad when you have a situation where you arbitrarily get rid of all your nations historiacal institutions.

Its one the the reasons I love Englad, the depth and weight of history that we have, every village and town is differant, so many accents and old buildings and tales/local legends, old manour houses, castles and barrows, battlfieds and parkland, woodland and heath.

I for one am happy to pay a little cash each year to keep the royal family.

Its terribly sad when you have a situation where you arbitrarily get rid of all your nations historiacal institutions.

Its one the the reasons I love Englad, the depth and weight of history that we have, every village and town is differant, so many accents and old buildings and tales/local legends, old manour houses, castles and barrows, battlfieds and parkland, woodland and heath.

They / She doesn't add anything to government she is just a figure head thankfully.

The depth and weight of history will not change if we abolish royalty. History is history.

Then pay my share please. I would at least like a choice in how my money is spent.

Good. Then why do we pay her anything?

Also those crown estates she has income on are given to her by birth right. You and I and most of the rest of us have to buy our own house and most of the land cannot be bought. I feel it's high time England / Britain caught up with the times.

MOST of us have to buy our own house, some people get them from their parents....the same as the Queen and the land could be bought, if the Crown decided to sell (I think).

Could you just explain why you feel that Britain is "behind the times" because we have a monarchy?

MOST of us have to buy our own house, some people get them from their parents....the same as the Queen and the land could be bought, if the Crown decided to sell (I think).

Could you just explain why you feel that Britain is "behind the times" because we have a monarchy?

We have a monarchy purely in name there is no monarchy in reality just a figure head.

I agree with what you said as regards to why Britain has a wonderful history and all the other things you said and I don't mind money going to keep historical buildings etc. BUT the royal family does nothing for our country, if you want to stick them in a zoo so people can see them, then I don't mind paying for that. lol

"A monarchy is a form of government in which all political power is passed down to an individual (usually hereditary) known as a monarch ("single ruler"), or king (male), queen (female)."

Can you see the problem there...... We don't actually have a proper Monarchy, as Flashbangwollap said she is a figurehead.

To put it in the simplest terms possible: The Monarchy has ensured national unity.

Say no more.;)

Edit: Of course, there are rebels both within and without who work behind the scenes to destroy unity.

Edited by Karlis

To put it in the simplest terms possible: The Monarchy has ensured national unity.

Say no more.;)

Edit: Of course, there are rebels both within and without who work behind the scenes to destroy unity.

How as the Monarchy ensure National Unity?

How as the Monarchy ensure National Unity?

Research British history, and you will see the answer, Coffey. :tu:

Research British history, and you will see the answer, Coffey. :tu:

I wanted your opinion. :P

I know how it works, I just disagree with it completely which is why I wanted your opinion to see if it helped me see it from another persons view. Even my Grand parents don't care about the royal family and have no interest in them whatsoever. None of my friends or anyone I know care for the Royal family and are usually annoyed if they take up any air time on TV or space in the papers etc.

I wanted your opinion. :P

I know how it works, I just disagree with it completely ... ~~~...

Disagree if you wish, but Monarch has given Britain stable government for centuries. Care to show where I'm wrong?

Disagree if you wish, but Monarch has given Britain stable government for centuries. Care to show where I'm wrong?

Well I disagree. How about you show us where we are wrong.

Stable Government? What through endless wars all around the world and with our closest neighbors?

From the Roman invasion right up to today Britain has been at war with one or another nation. So if chaos is your idea of stability take it away tell us all about it.

Meantime I'll stick to the point of modernizing British laws and perhaps we could even have a constitution. But then I guess that might take away some of the stability you were talking about,

My opinion is the same as Flashbangwollap's so I won't repeat it. I do want to know how you disagree with the opinion we have said though. If anything our Monachy makes us look snobbish and behind the times separating us from other countries even more. How is that unity? Whenever I speak to Americans when I'm "gaming" they always ask stuff like "how is the Queen" and other silly comments etc. Nobody respects the royal family from other nations and I don't know 1 single person out of my freinds or family who respect them either. All these funding things they do is a load of rubbish as well. There is always some reason why you can't get help from them. Like the Princes trust, I don't know 1 person who has managed to get help from that! lol