Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

any truth behind this japanese nuclear...

Benz

The nuclear reactors themselves are built underground. What was above were merely space for maintenance and control facilities, according to the BBC anyway.

If it was underground it would of been much worse. The containers are inside one of those larg rectangle buildings.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• preacherman76

• aquatus1

• Benz

• zooage

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not a matter of which way surface winds are blowing at any given moment. The winds always blow toward the east from Japan. Once the plume reaches the upper atmosphere it will spread east. This could be very bad for Japan, whose own citizens will get the first blast.

I've seen this map and have no reason to doubt it, but this is assuming a total meltdown. They haven't managed to control it yet, but with the sea water being used to cool it down, they may very soon. The amount currently leaking is deadly by itself, though they are down playing it. I heard someone say that a person could sit at the gate of the plant for 75 days and not get a lethal dose or radiation. Turn the channel and you're told you could die within hours. My opinion is to not listen to FOX News.

Oh SURE... thats why the building exploded ?

Let's tone down the fear-mongering a bit. In a natural disaster, things explode for a variety of non- nuclear reasons. In this case, the explosion was from the emergency cooling pumps, which located off-site from the reactor. The cooling of the reactor has been proceeding apace and it will take another day or two until things are cool enough for even a prelimenary investigation. For all we know, a meltdown already occurred and was contained by the containment building (the clue is in the name).

Ive heard that as well. Cant confirm or denie in which direction any fallout may move.

the surface winds may be blowing west, but the storm tracks blow east. so does the jet stream.

It's not a matter of which way surface winds are blowing at any given moment. The winds always blow toward the east from Japan. Once the plume reaches the upper atmosphere it will spread east. This could be very bad for Japan, whose own citizens will get the first blast.

I've seen this map and have no reason to doubt it, but this is assuming a total meltdown. They haven't managed to control it yet, but with the sea water being used to cool it down, they may very soon. The amount currently leaking is deadly by itself, though they are down playing it. I heard someone say that a person could sit at the gate of the plant for 75 days and not get a lethal dose or radiation. Turn the channel and you're told you could die within hours. My opinion is to not listen to FOX News.

must be strange having two different news stations say completely different things, all ours say exactly the same

They have halted all efforts to control it. It will meltdown, though they say there shouldn't be a release of Radiation, and levels have fallen drastically, if you believe them. But they have ,what, 4 reactors on this site?

They have halted all efforts to control it. It will meltdown, though they say there shouldn't be a release of Radiation, and levels have fallen drastically, if you believe them. But they have ,what, 4 reactors on this site?

There allready has been leaks.

There allready has been leaks.

They are calling it a "minor release" but they have evacuated a huge area right after. It's hard to get a real grasp on it. I don't want to listen to the same coverage over and over again so I look elsewhere. They have an entirely different take on it. What I really am looking for it the truth, which seems hard to come by because of the lack of services.

just saw the interview with the Japanese Ambassador to America and he seemed to have a strict lime on what he was allowed to say. he did say that Japan has refused help with the reactor issue and they were handling it themselves. Why would they refuse help is a question for another time, provided they get it under control.

These huge after shocks are really troubling though. How much higher will they get? A 7.6 and a 7.2, which have alread ocured,could in fact cause another tsunami.

Fox News is starting to report trouble at a second reactor although they don't appear to have a lot of information. The article is still what we've been hearing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/12/shaking-smoke-seen-japanese-nuclear-plant-facing-possible-meltdown/

meltdown confirmed

Meltdown Caused Nuke Plant Explosion: Safety BodyTOKYO (Nikkei)--The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) said Saturday afternoon the explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant could only have been caused by a meltdown of the reactor core.

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110312D12JFF03.htm

“At this point, events in Japan bear many similarities to the 1986 Chernobyl disaster. Reports indicate that up to 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) of the reactor fuel was exposed. The reactor fuel appears to have at least partially melted, and the subsequent explosion has shattered the walls and roof of the containment vessel – and likely the remaining useful parts of the control and coolant systems,” Stratfor explains.

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110312-red-alert-nuclear-meltdown-quake-damaged-japanese-plant

To address the radiation:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-04/tju-jrd033106.php

Jefferson researchers discover that nanoparticle shows promise in reducing radiation side effects

(PHILADELPHIA) Using transparent zebrafish embryos, researchers at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia have shown that a microscopic nanoparticle can help fend off damage to normal tissue from radiation. The nanoparticle, a soccer ball-shaped, hollow, carbon-based structure known as a fullerene, acts like an "oxygen sink," binding to dangerous oxygen radicals produced by radiation.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-microbially-ferrous-iron-decrease-technetium.html

Microbially produced ferrous iron may decrease technetium concentrations in groundwater

February 21, 2011

Transmission electron micrographs showing the variety of materials generated during simultaneous bioreduction of Fh and 99TcO4 - (left, Shewanella putrefaciens) in comparison with bioreduction of 99TcO4 - in the absence of Fh (right, Geobacter sulfurreducens).

And the research I was initially looking for cannot be found upon a brief search. There is more out there on this. Look for it.

Edited by regeneratia

“At this point, events in Japan bear many similarities to the 1986 Chernobyl disaster. Reports indicate that up to 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) of the reactor fuel was exposed. The reactor fuel appears to have at least partially melted, and the subsequent explosion has shattered the walls and roof of the containment vessel – and likely the remaining useful parts of the control and coolant systems,” Stratfor explains.

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110312-red-alert-nuclear-meltdown-quake-damaged-japanese-plant

I'll read the article later. Too many tabs open.

Dad and I were dicussing about the plant. And how the nuclear material going to be around for 300 years. (That's what the video report said on Today on home page after seeing the article appearing.) I said it might be like Chernobyl and we both agreed it might become like another Chernobyl. I had commented saying that's the problem when you have older buildings.

Aqua, do you know if the buildings was updated with no technology? Maintained?

The situation has remained unchanged. The reports of a meltdown were made based on the evidence taken prior to the cooling; a visual confirmation of a meltdown has not yet taken place. Either way, it seems to be well-contained.

The facilities are old, however they have been regularly upgraded. Unsurprisingly, Japan takes nuclear safety very seriously. The safety vents that allowed a controlled release to lower the pressure in the reactor were part of the upgrades. Indeed, the safety standards for the plants exceeded government standards by a fair margin, which says something considering how close to the breaking point they came.

Someone mentioned that help was refused. That should have been obvious, so much so that I can't help but see it as political maneuvering. Japanese engineers trained in the devices and emergency procedures are deLing with the emergency in the manner they have been trained to do. Why the heck would anyone try to throw a spanner in the gears by tossing in experts who have not trained with the team, and who are not familiar with their specific protocols, especially when the situation is under control? What exactly would the foreign experts do? Recommend more water? It bothers me that in a time of emergency like this, politicos still try to play their little games. It bothers me more that people seem to fall for them.

I'll read the article later. Too many tabs open.

Dad and I were dicussing about the plant. And how the nuclear material going to be around for 300 years. (That's what the video report said on Today on home page after seeing the article appearing.) I said it might be like Chernobyl and we both agreed it might become like another Chernobyl. I had commented saying that's the problem when you have older buildings.

Aqua, do you know if the buildings was updated with no technology? Maintained?

Japan has the most modern Nuclear Reactors on earth. they have spent billions to make them earthquake proof and ensure thing like this never happen. The buildings are much newer and safer than Chernobyl was, and the effects should be less, provided they are able to contain the meltdown within the reactor itself. Now they are saying a second reactor from this site is having the same problem that started the current situation. If they have learned enough from battling this so far they may be able to save it, and hope the other reactors don't develop any problems.

They said the fuel tanks that run the plants generators were washed away in the tsunami or this would never have happened. I suppose they should have been underground as well as the reactors.

Edited by zooage

Nobody wants to see this happen, but this is the Fukushima accident worst-case scenario map and don't always count on estimates when it comes to weather or meteorology. From the latest reports, this is the second worst nuclear accident in world history since Chernobyl 25 yrs. ago. Most of the radioactivity is expected to move North to eatsern Russia in Kamchatka and Siberia in 24 hours.

The Chernobyl plant restrictive zone is a 20-km radius area and will take thousands of years for the radioactivity to wear off naturally. Imagine what would happen with Fukushima, but in a smaller coastal radius area. Also is four other nuclear power plants in northern Japan reported cooling tower problems, but this one: Fukushima had two minor accidents in the 2000's.

Both the Russians and also the Japanese are acutely sensitive on the subjects of nuclear accidents and radiation poisoning. Fading but fresh memories of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki A-bomb survivors way into their 80s now, way back in August 1945, is active in the Japanese national psyche, as they still struggle with cases of radiation poisoning/sickness symptoms.

Radioactivity in the two bombed cities has weakened to zero, except scientific research continues there to examine the results of radiation (not from a nuclear accident) in the next generation of inhabitants in those cities. Some of the hundreds of thousands of survivors have radiation-caused ailments like cancer, deformities, weaker immunity and birth defects after the A-bomb.

I don't expect serious radiation fallout on the west coast, where I happen to live in the California desert allegedly received a fraction of the Chernobyl radioactive cloud in May 1986, and low levels of past nuclear test fallout from Nevada in the late 1940s to early 1980s, or Western half of North America. If it does fall from an easternly wind in the next 10-14 days, expect the level to be in the 2-4 RADs, much safer level than the theorized 10-75 RAD's.

Edited by Desert Man

Been watching our news and the Japanese government/army are refusing to fly over and have a look at the small towns that were wiped off the map because they are too busy. Our news host suggested that the Japanese government are panicing and have put all resources on the powerplant instead of looking for survivors. Also Japan refusing help from America and other countries for helping with the Nuclear Power Plant is the most idiotic thing in the world...why would they not accept help? either they know it's going to meltdown and have given up hope or well i don't know.

first explosion was to the turbine room apparently and the second explosion was to the other turbine room.

so yeah Japan is being EXTREMELY strict on what info they are releasing and when it comes to the plant and the rest of the news like looking for survivors, etc aren't even being touched

Been watching our news and the Japanese government/army are refusing to fly over and have a look at the small towns that were wiped off the map because they are too busy. Our news host suggested that the Japanese government are panicing and have put all resources on the powerplant instead of looking for survivors. Also Japan refusing help from America and other countries for helping with the Nuclear Power Plant is the most idiotic thing in the world...why would they not accept help? either they know it's going to meltdown and have given up hope or well i don't know.

first explosion was to the turbine room apparently and the second explosion was to the other turbine room.

so yeah Japan is being EXTREMELY strict on what info they are releasing and when it comes to the plant and the rest of the news like looking for survivors, etc aren't even being touched

Where have you heard all this?

I've had BBC News on for 12 hours and nothing like this has come out.

Yes. The Japanese military is more concerned with rescuing people than taking pictures from the sky.

Yes. Dealing with a nuclear meltdown is higher priority than finding survivors. Not that it matters. The people dealing with the meltdown and the people doing rescue work are not one and the same.

Yes, Japan refused help and it was a smart move. Read my previous post to find out why.

No, neither the Japanese government nor the people panicking. The foreign news media seem a bit annoyed by this.

Edited by aquatus1

Where have you heard all this?

I've had BBC News on for 12 hours and nothing like this has come out.

Channel 7 and Channel 9 news

The troubling issue here is it's the nuclear power plant's cooling towers that were effected by the quake. Cooling towers mean everything to the stability of the plant itself.

" What happened?Shaking from the magnitude 8.9 quake caused the reactors' control rods to be inserted into the core, a precaution that shut down the reactors' ability to generate electricity. The cores remained very hot, however, and would boil away all the cooling water within an hour unless the water was continuously circulating through the reactors' cooling towers. But the tsunami also destroyed the electrical grid that would provide power to the cooling pumps and disabled the backup diesel generators that were supposed to kick in if that happened. That left only batteries to run the pumps." (Full article @ The Tennessean)

Yes. The Japanese military is more concerned with rescuing people than taking pictures from the sky.

Yes. Dealing with a nuclear meltdown is higher priority than finding survivors. Not that it matters. The people dealing with the meltdown and the people doing rescue work are not one and the same.

Yes, Japan refused help and it was a smart move. Read my previous post to find out why.

No, neither the Japanese government nor the people panicking. The foreign news media seem a bit annoyed by this.

I think the calmness of the Japanese people and government has been a running theme throughout this disaster and is very commendable. Apparently, they are one of the most prepared countries for this type of natural disaster.

The troubling issue here is it's the nuclear power plant's cooling towers that were effected by the quake. Cooling towers mean everything to the stability of the plant itself.

" What happened?Shaking from the magnitude 8.9 quake caused the reactors' control rods to be inserted into the core, a precaution that shut down the reactors' ability to generate electricity. The cores remained very hot, however, and would boil away all the cooling water within an hour unless the water was continuously circulating through the reactors' cooling towers. But the tsunami also destroyed the electrical grid that would provide power to the cooling pumps and disabled the backup diesel generators that were supposed to kick in if that happened. That left only batteries to run the pumps." (Full article @ The Tennessean)

Yes, then they tried to vent some of the pressure but in doing so caused a chemical reaction which stripped the oxygen from the water leaving large amounts of hydrogen which caused the explosion.

Now they are simply using sea water to keep the reactors cool.

This means they are still in control, but it also means it is a desperate situation as sea water is all they have left to cool it.

No doubt that sea water is definitely Plan C, but it is a plan. It is good for other countries to offer help, just like one offers to help a neighbors fix his car, but if he is an expert mechanic and has a plan that he is implementing, another body may well just get in the way. Offering help is fine, but when one declines the offer, it should not be taken as a gesture of foolishness or pride. The last thing you need in an incredibly volatile emergency situation is someone who is unfamiliar with your protocols and systems.