Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"ghost theories"

ShadowofaDoubt

How do you rationalize ghosts? What "theories" do you or your paranormal team subscribe to? What do you personally believe ghosts are? I'm looking for information in this topic, not to debate or criticize anyone.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wookietim

• Beckys_Mom

• The Paranormal Skeptic

• ShadowofaDoubt

many possibilities :

- the soul of the dead

- the remain of the living (an echo)

- human from different dimension

- non-human entity made of invisible energy

- an invention of the imagination

- the shadow of fear

many possibilities :

- the soul of the dead

Those appear to be the same thing.

- the shadow of fear

Huh?

Those appear to be the same thing.

Huh?

IT's not the same. The soul is like a driver, the body is the car. An echo/the remain is the sound, the dust, smoke left by the car when it runs.

many possibilities :

- the soul of the dead

- human from different dimension

- non-human entity made of invisible energy

- an invention of the imagination

- the shadow of fear

What are the mechanisms of these? I'm not sure if you personally believe in any of these possibilities, but if you do, do you know how they work?

How do you rationalize ghosts? What "theories" do you or your paranormal team subscribe to? What do you personally believe ghosts are? I'm looking for information in this topic, not to debate or criticize anyone.

Ghosts are the essence of humans when they die

I see ghosts all the time

IT's not the same. The soul is like a driver, the body is the car. An echo/the remain is the sound, the dust, smoke left by the car when it runs.

Yeah. Or the soul is the echo of the body after death. Lingering around.

Hence why they sound the same to me.

Yeah. Or the soul is the echo of the body after death. Lingering around.

Hence why they sound the same to me.

Yes. But for me I separate 2 things. As said it's a possibility, no proof given.

Ok my explanation is a little deep. I have given this a lot of thought because I have had very strange things happen to me on and off all my life. I honestly find myself doubting that paranormal activity comes from the dead. I think if it has anything to do with the dead the only explanation I can give is that it is a form of echo.

How this echo works (in my theory)is because of some sort of ripple effect or repetition in either some form of dimension or time and space. It's like every now and then conditions are just right for you to hear or see the impact something else left behind. Picture our world consisting of 3 dimensions that rotate over each other like tectonic plates... now lets say something traumatic happens and leaves imprint right at that point in these 3 dimensions so when they are realigned in the same manner you catch a glimpse of this because it was engraved in all three of them... Does that make any sense? I know it's out there so bare with me. It's like a layering of some sort each layer carries something when they over lap you hear it or see it. I'm not saying it's dimensions... It may have something to do with cycle in time. These are just theories.

Second explanation I can give it is that it is some sort of living being like plankton or something like that, that lives in the air. It may be something else that has such great camouflage to the point that it is rarely seen. For example cuddle fish or octopus can blend perfectly by contracting cells. What if it is some creature that contracts it's cells so it can be seen, we see it when it has compacted it self down. I know this may hardly make any sense, I started thinking about this when I realized (on this forum) how many people claim to have seen the hat man.... A HAT MAN!?! for real??? How plain and basic and un-ghostly is that? Cuddle fish can put X's on their backs to ask for treats. What if a species had been living with us long enough to learn what we are afraid off?? So shadow man became an easy defense, "I show them shadow man they run... Okay I'll use shadow man again". I compare it to sea creatures because there is many you can't see, and many expert camouflagers. What if there is creatures we can't see that lives in our air like those live in water. Maybe it's some form of reef kind of thing that air passes trough to support life, it can't be compacted for long because it can't breathe. I am really trying to figure out a physical reason they may exist I'm sorry my ideas are a little rough all around.... It's just thoughts. :blush:

I know I've had unexplained phenomena which occurred to me. I wrote about it at length a couple of years ago, before UM added the blog feature. I've been reluctant to slap the "Ghost" label to what I've been through because I don't think that entirely covers it. I've pondered the skeptic's interpretations such as auditory hallucinations, etc. but that can't explain all of it. After all, why didn't I have auditory hallucinations elsewhere instead of in that one house? I haven't had them since, and that's been about 40 years ago.

One thing that has me wondering, and that's mentioned often on the (often silly) ghost TV shows. That is electromagnetic fields. Apparently, there are certain places where electromagnetic fields appear to occur naturally. They might even be frequent. Some of the ghost TV shows point out that electromagnetic fields might produce things like paranoia, hallucinations, creepy feelings, nausea, etc. If any of this is true, this could very well indicate that this force interferes with certain areas of the brain such as the hypothalamus, whatever brain center controls/creates nausea, etc. And, if there in fact psychic areas of the brain, these might even be stimulated by EMF's.

The reason I bring this out is because one of my theories about "ghosts" is that they could be psychically perceived phenomena, not necessarily physical. Our brain may interpret these according to what is familiar to our mind: figures, sounds, voices, shapes, etc.

And high electromagnetic areas could be the breeding grounds for such phenomena.

Anyway, these are my personal theories.

I know I've had unexplained phenomena which occurred to me. I wrote about it at length a couple of years ago, before UM added the blog feature. I've been reluctant to slap the "Ghost" label to what I've been through because I don't think that entirely covers it. I've pondered the skeptic's interpretations such as auditory hallucinations, etc. but that can't explain all of it. After all, why didn't I have auditory hallucinations elsewhere instead of in that one house? I haven't had them since, and that's been about 40 years ago.

Did you ever suffer from depression 40 years ago while in that house?

One thing that has me wondering, and that's mentioned often on the (often silly) ghost TV shows. That is electromagnetic fields. Apparently, there are certain places where electromagnetic fields appear to occur naturally. They might even be frequent. Some of the ghost TV shows point out that electromagnetic fields might produce things like paranoia, hallucinations, creepy feelings, nausea, etc. If any of this is true, this could very well indicate that this force interferes with certain areas of the brain such as the hypothalamus, whatever brain center controls/creates nausea, etc. And, if there in fact psychic areas of the brain, these might even be stimulated by EMF's.

I think this may be the explanation for shadow men. I read somewhere a few months back about electromagnetism causing people to see dark shadows. I actually found that while looking up stuff about the "smoke monster" from Lost. I found it very interesting because some people claim seeing shadow people reappear in the same area which makes me think it may be an area with high levels of electro magnetic fields. I don't think electromagnetism contributes to all paranormal instances but I think some would be covered by this. Like weird feelings, or slight noises.... and shadow man. But like I stated earlier I have a lot of theories up in the air. I am convinced these thing are real, I have experienced enough not to doubt it... However I do not blindly believe so I will keep thinking up theories till I find a way to test them out. :lol:

I think this may be the explanation for shadow men. I read somewhere a few months back about electromagnetism causing people to see dark shadows. I actually found that while looking up stuff about the "smoke monster" from Lost. I found it very interesting because some people claim seeing shadow people reappear in the same area which makes me think it may be an area with high levels of electro magnetic fields. I don't think electromagnetism contributes to all paranormal instances but I think some would be covered by this. Like weird feelings, or slight noises.... and shadow man. But like I stated earlier I have a lot of theories up in the air. I am convinced these thing are real, I have experienced enough not to doubt it... However I do not blindly believe so I will keep thinking up theories till I find a way to test them out. :lol:

I just think over active imaginations, half a sleep or seeking attention from other people.

Does anyone but into the Rock Tape theory? If so, would anyone like to explain to me how it works?

Does anyone but into the Rock Tape theory? If so, would anyone like to explain to me how it works?

He means the Stone Tape Theory.

I think this may be the explanation for shadow men. I read somewhere a few months back about electromagnetism causing people to see dark shadows. I actually found that while looking up stuff about the "smoke monster" from Lost. I found it very interesting because some people claim seeing shadow people reappear in the same area which makes me think it may be an area with high levels of electro magnetic fields. I don't think electromagnetism contributes to all paranormal instances but I think some would be covered by this. Like weird feelings, or slight noises.... and shadow man.

I dont want to start an argument but there is absolutely no evidence what so ever that supports EMF causing any types of hallucinations or any other medical conditions. There have been many double blinded studies and they all have produced the same results. People who think they are hypersensitive cannot tell when they are in a room with or without EMF present. It is a psychosomatic disorder. We need to stop trying to use nonsense to weed out nonsense. It is just as ridiculous and trying to use the paranormal to prove the paranormal. Sorry, if that came off “dick-ish.”

What if we try something kinda radical for a theory? What if UFO's and Ghosts are related to one another on a fundamental level? Think about it - they all seem to wink in and out of existence with seeming randomness... They all seem to act in a somewhat unpredictable ways... What if we apply the theory that UFO's are extra-dimensional to the concept of Ghosts?

If we do that then we have a reason why specific spots seem to be more active than others (I would suppose that it is easier to have a weakness in one spot than another spot)... we can sort of explain the times when Ghosts seem to be reflections of past events (Since if we are going to accept dimensions like this then I am sure we can accept the idea that perhaps time slips a bit sometimes as well)... and we have a reason for one other thing I have noticed : UFO flaps seem to happen at roughly the same time (Within a few months) of a bit of heightened Ghost activity in the same general vicinity (Say a radius of 100 miles). Take a look - there is a definite correlation between the two...

But that is just spit-balling on my part - I have no proof of that stuff and no actual scientific theory to back it up...

I dont want to start an argument but there is absolutely no evidence what so ever that supports EMF causing any types of hallucinations or any other medical conditions. There have been many double blinded studies and they all have produced the same results. People who think they are hypersensitive cannot tell when they are in a room with or without EMF present. It is a psychosomatic disorder. We need to stop trying to use nonsense to weed out nonsense. It is just as ridiculous and trying to use the paranormal to prove the paranormal. Sorry, if that came off “dick-ish.”

I'm not going to argue with you about it... I'm up for all kinds of criticism it will only help me build my theories better. Honestly I don't know much about this. I just stated something I bumped into while looking up something about a show, I haven't been able to find that page since. Also like I stated my theories are nothing till there is a way to test them out. So like you said the paranormal can not prove the paranormal. Honestly the theory I am most interested in is the "different species" one. A lot of people use the electromagnetism one to act like we are crazy. I really think of this in a scientific way, I want to find a scientific explanation of what it is. I'm not interested in saying "It's a ghost, you can't see it" If it's there, there is a way to see it or sense it, we just have to find it. I do believe in spirits how ever I don't think they are human, I believe those have a different reality than ours, maybe a different dimension... I don't know, but I want to know.

I'm not going to argue with you about it... I'm up for all kinds of criticism it will only help me build my theories better. Honestly I don't know much about this. I just stated something I bumped into while looking up something about a show, I haven't been able to find that page since. Also like I stated my theories are nothing till there is a way to test them out. So like you said the paranormal can not prove the paranormal. Honestly the theory I am most interested in is the "different species" one. A lot of people use the electromagnetism one to act like we are crazy. I really think of this in a scientific way, I want to find a scientific explanation of what it is. I'm not interested in saying "It's a ghost, you can't see it" If it's there, there is a way to see it or sense it, we just have to find it. I do believe in spirits how ever I don't think they are human, I believe those have a different reality than ours, maybe a different dimension... I don't know, but I want to know.

Well, I agree - if something interacts with the world in some way (And ghosts interact - otherwise we wouldn't even have the concept of them) then then there ought to be a way to detect it and explain it. That is why I hate the words "Paranormal" or "Supernatural" - nothing that exists is beside the normal or above the natural. It all happens in the natural world...

So we ought to be able to approach it like any other discipline when it comes to looking at the natural world - develop a hypothesis about it, create an experiment to test that hypothesis, and then adjust the hypothesis )or discard it) based on the results of the experiment.

There does seem to be some sort of evidence that EMF fields and ghosts go hand in hand... I doubt we understand the real relationship yet, but there does seem to be support showing that the two are linked. If so, we have to find the exact underpinnings of that linkage and then be able to look at it in a cold, hard, scientific light.

I just can't figure out why the all in our own head theory isn't good enough

I just can't figure out why the all in our own head theory isn't good enough

Because we have evidence of the effect of these things one objective reality - so simply writing it off as one persons subjective reality is not valid as that is ignoring the evidence that contradicts that hypothesis.

There are pictures, EMF readings and group experiences that, taken one at a time, might be able to be passed off with the "All in ones head" explanation but taken together tend to argue against that.

Because we have evidence of the effect of these things one objective reality - so simply writing it off as one persons subjective reality is not valid as that is ignoring the evidence that contradicts that hypothesis.

There are pictures, EMF readings and group experiences that, taken one at a time, might be able to be passed off with the "All in ones head" explanation but taken together tend to argue against that.

What extraordinary evidence is there to support the existence of ghosts?

What extraordinary evidence is there to support the existence of ghosts?

As mentioned we have anomalous photos, anomalous EMF readings and anomalous group experiences. None of that "Proves" the existence of ghosts. But that set of evidence also argues against the non-existence as well.

We also have to ask what we are trying to prove : Are we trying to prove life after death or something else? We haven't really started on that yet. But that also means that I ask you what you are trying to disprove...

And there is no need for "Extraordinary Evidence" for Ghosts (Or UFO's or Bigfoot or any other thing like this). Theories require evidence. But theories do not require extraordinary evidence - evidence is evidence.