Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Talking Portrait

Kappazone

Hi,

My name is Federico Cappelli, and I live in a small town in Tuscany, I want to submit the vision of this video because I think the interesting, the woman depicted in the portrait seems to move his lips and speak, I noticed this thing about a year ago, the people depicted in the portrait (which is about 1920) are my great-grandfather Giustino and my great-grandmother Ismene, the portrait is in the bedroom of my grandmother, give me your opinion and sorry for my English and if you want more details please reply to this post !!!

click here to see the video on YouTube

Yours sincerely

Federico Cappelli

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• Brian Topp

• Kappazone

• quillius

Hi,

My name is Federico Cappelli, and I live in a small town in Tuscany, I want to submit the vision of this video because I think the interesting, the woman depicted in the portrait seems to move his lips and speak, I noticed this thing about a year ago, the people depicted in the portrait (which is about 1920) are my great-grandfather Giustino and my great-grandmother Ismene, the portrait is in the bedroom of my grandmother, give me your opinion and sorry for my English and if you want more details please reply to this post !!!

click here to see the video on YouTube

Yours sincerely

Federico Cappelli

no, it's a natural effect of the video. if you notice, the man appears to be 'talking' as well.

this thing happens even to the naked eye, I showed the portrait to many people and all have confirmed both the lips movement

Edited by Kappazone

Yeah, I'd have to see it with my own eyes to believe this.

Too much pixelation and what looks like stop/starts.

i've extract two interesting frames from the video :

2h67sld.png

Federico Cappelli

I wish it was a more close up view of it, why not bring the camera closer to really examine the mouth?

Looks like a combination of shadows and pixelation, its a neat effect that looks like they are having a conversation. At one point it looked like the man glanced over at the lady.

i've extract two interesting frames from the video :

2h67sld.png

Federico Cappelli

The pic ( second pic) looks too distorted to tell..

Indeed it is too distorted to tell.

In the two side-by-side images..they look the same to me except the pixilation makes it look like the lips are pursed.

If you use even your mouse cursor to cover up half the mouth of the first image you find that nothing has changed, not even the shadows for the shape of the cheeks.

As for the claim it can be seen with the naked eye..lots of things can be "seen" once the lights are altered (dimmed, flickering and different color used)

Paintings don't talk..have no capacity to do so.

If you made this video yourself, can I ask that you redo it? Only this time have more direct lighting on the portrait to avoid shadows and move the camera closer to focus on the mouth?

This is talking portrait is caused by just bad camera moving, low lighting, poor camera focus, constant moving of the camera and above all.. Physiology.

If you tell people to focus on one area of the video people will not focus on the details on how distorted the quality is and they may agree with you but I feel you need better lighting, better focus, camera in a stationary area before throwing these claims out there. For example I could claim that she is sniffing the air with the same picture you are presenting us because her nose looks like she smelt something awful.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2h67sld.png

You claim you can see them talking with your naked eye but it's your word against ours. Until you have a much improved video quality most here will file this as video distortion.

You may get a few people who will say this is creepy.

This is talking portrait is caused by just bad camera moving, low lighting, poor camera focus, constant moving of the camera and above all.. Physiology.

If you tell people to focus on one area of the video people will not focus on the details on how distorted the quality is and they may agree with you but I feel you need better lighting, better focus, camera in a stationary area before throwing these claims out there. For example I could claim that she is sniffing the air with the same picture you are presenting us because her nose looks like she smelt something awful.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2h67sld.png

You claim you can see them talking with your naked eye but it's your word against ours. Until you have a much improved video quality most here will file this as video distortion.

You may get a few people who will say this is creepy.

usually when you photoshop an image - like to make it brighter or make other adjustments - it can distort the image

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Take a step back, the whole picture looks lie it wiggles. The video is severely pixelated and when the ambient light changes in the room or when the camera operator moves, the color assigned to the pixel representing a space on the picture changes, creating the illusion of movement.

Also, this is a print of a photograph, essentially pigment on paper. If it were moving, the pigment would have to be reapplying itself over and over again, similar to making a cartoon. It makes absolutely no sense.

Edited by shadowofadoubt

It would be great if you could do this again with a still camera in a well lit area with no glare on the picture as well as with a better camera. Then we will very much be able to see changes in the picture (given the image quality is better).

Take a step back, the whole picture looks lie it wiggles. The video is severely pixelated and when the ambient light changes in the room or when the camera operator moves, the color assigned to the pixel representing a space on the picture changes, creating the illusion of movement.

Also, this is a print of a photograph, essentially pigment on paper. If it were moving, the pigment would have to be reapplying itself over and over again, similar to making a cartoon. It makes absolutely no sense.

You know - If you stare at any picture for a while and not remove your eyes from it - you will think it is either moving or blinking...

I have done this myself...and once thought by looking at a pic of jesus - I thought - my goodness jesus just blinked at me !!!!!!! LOL :w00t:

I agree with everyone that says it's just bad video.

Do another with better lighting and get way closer.

Out of curiousity , you say this :

the people depicted in the portrait (which is about 1920) are my great-grandfather Giustino and my great-grandmother Ismene, the portrait is in the bedroom of my grandmother

Yet , this video is not uploaded by you , and you do have your own youtube channel?Or is it just that you have 2 of them?...Looks that way...

Is this really yours , and is the blogspot page that is for this video yours?.....Check your email....

Edited by Sakari

this thing happens even to the naked eye, I showed the portrait to many people and all have confirmed both the lips movement

Hello, as many people have said please re-do the footage, you are in a unique position here as most videos are one offs, the fact that you have shown it to many people means it is always happening so it would be eay to fulfil request and prove to everyone its true.

With all due respect whenever anyone is asked to repost a video or alike they seem to disappear, I hope you do not vanish also and provide the goods...we are all waiting in anticipation.. :whistle:

i stared at that thing forever and never once did it look like it was speaking.

Next post from OP:

a. The picture was burned in a fire.

b. I do not have a working video camera.

c. My grandparents live in a different country and I cannot get there to take another video.

d. etc.

Next post from OP:

a. The picture was burned in a fire.

b. I do not have a working video camera.

c. My grandparents live in a different country and I cannot get there to take another video.

d. etc.

exactly or e) no post at all....

Honestly I think the shadows are messing with your eyes as your weight shifts back and forth.

This thing was originally posted in 2010 .....Not sure if it is the same guy....There is a webpage dedicated to it also , I emailed there and no response....On the webpage ( blog ) there are numerous haunted things , including a haunted doll.......

And now, the OP has become the "Ghost."