Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Signature Guidelines

Saru

So when are mods gonna start deleting big signatures? I'm seeing alot around.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Janiel

• BurnSide

• Michelle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to give people a chance to change their signatures, but i'm going to probably start removing oversized ones within a week.

I'm not going to be too picky about it, but you could decrease the filesize by increasing the jpg compression, you could probably get the file size down to half it's current size without any noticeable loss in image quality.

I can do that for you if you like and show you the difference it can make.

In fact, the image you have as your signature just now is an uncompressed bitmap which is about 200k in size, four times the limit of 50k. It has a .jpg extension, but it is not a .jpg, just a renamed bitmap (.bmp)

Here is your uncompressed 200k bitmap :

user posted image

Here is a compressed .jpg of the same image, just 16k in size :

user posted image

The .jpg is more than 10 times smaller and will load up 10 times faster, but looks almost identical to the 200k bitmap version.

This demonstrates how easily you can reduce the size of an image - why use a 200k image that takes ages to load when a 16k equivalent will do ?

Thats the message i'm trying to get across to everyone here with these signature pictures.

Just save as jpg?

Just save as jpg?

Just saving as a jpg does not convert the file to a jpg, it's still a .bmp, but with a .jpg extension - it isn't compressed at all.

I use Paint Shop Pro to convert, resize or manipulate images. You can download a free version from http://www.jasc.com.

I saved the above example .jpg with a level 20 compression, but you can chose higher or lower depending on how small you want it.

Yes Photoshop can do that aswell, as can most paint/graphics programs. The reason i use Paint Shop Pro to do these things because I find that it's quicker than with using Photoshop.

Update

I have started to remove any oversized signature's that i find on the forum. Please make every effort to reduce the size of your signature graphic in compliance with the guidelines outlined in this thread if you have not done so already.

I will continue to remove oversized signature's as and when i find them.

I am so glad you're doing this SaRuMan. Those things were driving me batty. I'm sort of computer illiterate and I'd love to do something a little fancy for mine. Hey, my bithday just passed maybe someone could do one for me as a late present? wink2.gifblush.gif Purty please?

Hi Michelle,

One of the folks over at the 'Unified Signature Thread' should be able to make a signature graphic for you - Click Here.

Yes, just because it's linked from another site, doesn't mean that the image will load faster to dial up users or be any less distracting. The same restrictions apply.

Dear god, people still use dialup?!

those poor souls.

LOL.... I know that is so strange.... Damn grannies!!! hehehe.... My Mother just upgraded.. It only took her years of convincing.. Now, she will never go back to dial up...

grin2.gif

Edited by Magikman

Dear god, people still use dialup?!

those poor souls.

I have never had access to a faster connection than 56k dialup. My telephone lines have excessive noise levels which have prevented me being able to receive ADSL, plus there is no cable or wireless where i live.

If you think surfing the net is hard with dial up, try running this site with it.

People with faster connections don't know when they're well off. dontgetit.gif

Fortunately with BT's new extended reach program starting next month, there's a chance that i will finally be able to receive ADSL soon.

Fingers crossed.

Hey hey whoa, I resent the granny reference. disgust.gif Just because I type one word a minute doesn't mean I'm old and slow.. laugh.gif I can still party till the sun comes up the second day after everyone passed out. My mother is so proud that her daughter can drink just about any man under the table. laugh.gif She trained me well. laugh.gif

oh yeah ..an what do u do with them when theyre under the table.....hmm?

Excuse me? A lady never tells, but you'd never forget. wink2.gif

Your's is just fine. thumbsup.gif