Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any CONVINCING "evidence"?

graciousgabby

Welcome to the party, graciousgabby.

There's much to be learned here. Maybe even from me, on a good day.

About James Randi, he's interested in paranormal claims as in psychic abilities. Here is the link to his requirements.

http://www.randi.org/site/1m-challenge/challenge-application

Just a sample from that page:

INFORMATION TO BE SUPPLIED WITH THIS APPLICATION

This application must be signed and notarized or officially certified, and must include all of the requested information: full legal name, date of birth, email and mailing addresses, and a description of the claim to be demonstrated in 250 words or less.

In order to establish the serious nature of the application, at least one of the three following items must be provided with this application:

1. A signed letter of reference from a medical doctor, a faculty member at an accredited university or college, or a professional research scientist (i.e., employed by an industry or government agency) stating that the person should be considered a serious Applicant and that the claim merits testing.

2. A copy of any article, book, television appearance (other than those published solely on the Internet), or other recognized independent media in which the Applicant and the relevant claim are featured. Self-promotional or self-published accounts do not qualify.

3. A video (made available electronically or delivered on physical media) in which the Applicant clearly demonstrates the claimed ability. Self-produced videos are permitted. Such video becomes the property of the JREF and the Applicant grants the JREF an irrevocable license to publish or otherwise use the video in any way. Submitting a video is the lowest standard of these three options, and Applicants who choose to provide a video instead of a letter of reference or media sample are not automatically considered for a Preliminary Test and are not entitled to a written explanation of their rejection. The selection of video Applicants for Preliminary Tests may be done by any method, at the JREF's sole discretion.

In all cases, the JREF will determine whether the submission is acceptable.

Obviously his requirements are pretty strict. (No surprise there.) And, in the end, he and/or his group decides who gets to be called "paranormal" in his book.

In all cases, the JREF will determine whether the submission is acceptable.

Pretty clearly it's a publicity thing, since no one has passed his "preliminary testing" in the 40 years he's been offering this challenge. So I wouldn't hold my breath for anyone to ever win the $1 million.

(Yes, I believe in psychic abilities. My mother in law had psychic abilities, but she didn't advertise them or use them for personal gain.)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolfpower

• graciousgabby

• Sakari

• Tom B

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your replies! I will definitely spend some more time browsing the forum. Any intriguing threads you would suggest I search for?

Depends what ur interested in...