Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World record for largest harmonica ensemble.

Pendekar Timur

Taman Jurong residents break world record for largest harmonica ensemble.

SINGAPORE : Singapore has achieved another first -- this time it has put up the world's largest harmonica ensemble performance.

It was a night to celebrate Singapore's 39th birthday for Taman Jurong residents, but the highlight of the night was an attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the largest harmonica ensemble.

The ensemble was made up of Taman Jurong residents from as young as five to as old as 65.

And they had all been hard at work for the last nine months, as they attempted to break the last world record set in Poland last year.

The current record holder had 851 harmonica players, but Taman Jurong beat them hands down with 1,042 harmonica players.

Turning up unexpectedly was Singapore's very own entrepreneur -- and harmonica enthusiast -- Sim Wong Hoo, CEO of Creative Technology.

With five songs under their belt , their performance went without a hitch.

Newly appointed Education Minister and MP for Jurong, Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam, said, "It's a wonderful initiative. Over 1,000 young children come together on their own initiative, training for months at a stretch, without the slightest background in harmonica"

Tay Eng Hiang, of Taman Jurong's "Gift of Music" programme, said, "It was not difficult to teach people harmonica. Being a very versatile instrument, you can bring it everywhere, anywhere and you don't need a lot of skills nor a lot of money to play the harmonica."

The harmonica ensemble was formed as a result of the "Gift of Music" programme that aims to bond its residents through the enjoyment of music. - CNA

SOURCE

p/s-can somebody teach me how to play Blues harmonica...??

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendekar Timur

• Barnacle Battlefront

• Subtemperate

• arkansas steve

That blows.... laugh.gif

Ok im over it...... I cant complain, here in melbourne we got the record for the largest ever group Zorba dance.....

in melbourne we got the record for the largest ever group Zorba dance.....

cool.gif hey, i saw that on tv cool.gif

ohmy.gif Well then I do believe that us aussies will just have have to break this world record and make it our own, to add to our list of world records!!! thumbsup.gif

lol one of my mates has the largest collections of snowdomes, from all across the world (sad but true) his collection was shown on getaway

bloody hell, can you imagine dusting all those things???

• 1 year later...

The current record holder had 851 harmonica players, but Taman Jurong beat them hands down with 1,042 harmonica players.

i am not sure what the difference would be between the two groups but David Harp is in the world records for teaching over 2500 people to pleay the harmonica at one time. would that not tear this record to pieces?