Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. Launches Cruise Missiles Against Qaddafi

Raptor Witness

[u.S. Launches Cruise Missiles Against Qaddafi's Air Defenses] 3-19-11 FoxNews

The U.S. Navy fires the first U.S. Tomahawk cruise missiles against Libyan leader's Muammar al-Qaddafi's air defenses Saturday, a military source tells Fox News.

The U.S. military strikes clear the way for European and other planes to enforce a no-fly zone designed to ground Qaddafi's air force and cripple his ability to inflict further violence on rebels, U.S. officials said.

Hours after Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton attended an international conference in Paris that endorsed military action against Qaddafi, the U.S. was poised to kick off its attacks on Libyan air defense missile and radar sites along the Mediterranean coast to protect no-fly zone pilots from the threat of getting shot down.

"We have every reason to fear that left unchecked, Qaddafi will commit unspeakable atrocities," Clinton said ...

------------------------------------------------------------

I have to agree with the Secretary of State. Send him some of those "pills" he keeps talking about. He's going to need them, like cyanide maybe?

Edited by Raptor Witness

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.United_Nations

• Space Commander Travis

• MichaelW

• acidhead

Say what you will about the Yanks, but in the realm of long-range "stand-off" weapons, they still rule the roost.

The UK's Storm Shadow system is pretty good, but tomahawks are still king.

Of course, they are only as good as the targeting intelligence, and I look forwards to discovering precisely WHAT it was that these million-dollar missiles where aimed at ?

meow purr :)

For the record......... Libya is in Africa... <[thread is in wrong section]

Wonder how many innocent people are going to die because of western military intervention.. once again?

they've said over and over... "no ground troops"...... Mrs. Clinton has promised this.

Now, should troops be required as an after thought because of the known unknowns will Mrs. Clinton pack her bags, grab baby chelsie and her freedom loving husband and go fight it?

The answer is a big fat NO WAY HOSAY!

She'll send your kids to die for her fight... guaranteed.

For the record......... Libya is in Africa... <[thread is in wrong section]

Not fully true. In some definitions you are right. But in most modern usages a lot of North Africa is included in the Middle East. So you are right it's in Africa. Wrong in that it's in the wrong section. According to Washington, the Near East is the Middle East.

Not fully true. In some definitions you are right. But in most modern usages a lot of North Africa is included in the Middle East. So you are right it's in Africa. Wrong in that it's in the wrong section. According to Washington, the Near East is the Middle East.

???

Wonder how many innocent people are going to die because of western military intervention.. once again?

I wonder how many inoccent people have already died at of the Libyan Leaders orders. Would you rather he keeps killing his own people or would you rather Western and Middle Eastern nations remove him from power?

they've said over and over... "no ground troops"...... Mrs. Clinton has promised this.

Now, should troops be required as an after thought because of the known unknowns will Mrs. Clinton pack her bags, grab baby chelsie and her freedom loving husband and go fight it?

The answer is a big fat NO WAY HOSAY!

She'll send your kids to die for her fight... guaranteed.

If troops are required on the ground they will be UN Troops, from either Africa or the Arab Leauge.

However if western troops are needed... I've always wanted to go to Africa.

~Thanato

Why does wanting to stop a mass murder make you sick?

... this ain't our war to fight.

If it were than your military would be in:

Saudi Arabia

Sudan

Bahrain

Yemen

Congo

Ivory Coast

UAE

You guys seem to think that this will be over in a flash.

You guys are supporting a cause which is going to get me or my family killed back home.

Again...........ITS NOT YOUR FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yOU MAKE ME SICK............ GOOD RIDDENS

What would YOU prefer to happen Acidhead ? How would YOU handle this if you where in charge ?

meow purr :)

Small numbers, if any, compared to those who will die if Ghaddafi was left to his own devices.

Because he's an imbecile. He cannot tell the difference between right and wrong.

But should have we expected anything less?

Now, I'm being called an imbecile?!?!?!?!?

Because I don't support western interference in a fight that is none of Canada's business?

Peoiple like you are going to get a lot of people killed back home.

Keep it up, Michael.

It stinks around here... ENJOY your war kids.

Bye.

Libya has reached a cease-fire.

How the hell was it imperative to attack them?!

There is no common sense in this!

Obama is planning for the U.S. portion of the military action in Libya to only last for a few days, according to a senior administration official, who was not authorized to speak about sensitive military matters.

Good bye, Iraq War!

Hello, Libyan War!

Now, I do not dis-advocate bringing down tyrants. However, we must act precisely and not impetuously. We should support the rebels, but instead allow them to take care of Gadhafi themselves - like they wanted to. The no-fly zone should have been enough, and it was - why do you think there was a cease-fire?

I can understand enforcing the no-fly zone by bombing them as a show of force, to allow the rebels time to install themselves.

But further military action, besides the no-fly zone is unnecessary.

... this ain't our war to fight.

If it were than your military would be in:

Saudi Arabia

Sudan

Bahrain

Yemen

Congo

Ivory Coast

UAE

You guys seem to think that this will be over in a flash.

You guys are supporting a cause which is going to get me or my family killed back home.

Again...........ITS NOT YOUR FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So then if NATO decided to put in military forces in those countries you would fully support them then? Or would you just condemn them like you always do? And if I'm reading this right you have no problem if a world leader decides to slaughter his own people right? As long as you don't get hurt.

"War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stuart Mill

Libya has reached a cease-fire.

How the hell was it imperative to attack them?!

There is no common sense in this!

Good bye, Iraq War!

Hello, Libyan War!

Now, I do not dis-advocate bringing down tyrants. However, we must act precisely and not impetuously. We should support the rebels, but instead allow them to take care of Gadhafi themselves - like they wanted to. The no-fly zone should have been enough, and it was - why do you think there was a cease-fire?

I can understand enforcing the no-fly zone by bombing them as a show of force, to allow the rebels time to install themselves.

But further military action, besides the no-fly zone is unnecessary.

There was no cease-fire. Gadhafi forces kept right on attacking. That's why operations against select military targets are being carried out. All of which have the support of not only the UN security council but also the Arab League.

The ceasefire was a trap. Overnight Masses and masses of tanks started to show up outside the rebel capital.

Then consider my post irrelevant. :D

A cease-fire used for strategic advancement. Cowardly, yet effective, it would seem.

Then consider my post irrelevant. :D

A cease-fire used for strategic advancement. Cowardly, yet effective, it would seem.

Yep. Seems they got into the rebel capital but were beaten back...and then the French showed up. ;)

yOU MAKE ME SICK............ GOOD RIDDENS

Well that is your right to believe in what you will. But It's my right to believe in what I believe in and I do not believe in mass murder and if that means I have to go to another country to put myself in harms way to make sure that civilians don't die as a result of a crazed dictator then I will. I guess thats the difference between you an me, I'm willing to do bad things to evil people for good reasons.

~Thanato

Yep. Seems they got into the rebel capital but were beaten back...and then the French showed up. ;)

If it is a united Military action, then I approve.

I think Saddam Hussein had more friends in the Middle East, judging from the Arab League's support of bombing Quaddafi. Which is remarkable when you think about it, because they're probably next in line if Qaddafi goes "bye bye."

I wonder if there were any back room deals with the West, as for future support of these remaining dictatorial regimes.

Edited by Raptor Witness