Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was God's wife edited out of the Bible?

Still Waters

A leading academic has claimed that God has a wife who was edited out of the Bible.

Atheist Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou says that the Almighty, known as Yahweh, had a partner called Asherah who was worshipped.

The scholar's controversial claims are being explored in BBC2 series The Bible’s Buried Secrets.

His wife was presented as a deity in Israel and someone who sat alongside him, according to journal articles and books by the scholar.

Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who has been given a primetime BBC slot, also claims that Eve has been ‘unfairly maligned’ by ‘middle-aged bearded men’ and should not have been blamed for the Fall of Man.

But some may raise eyebrows among viewers – including her suggestion that Eve was not the first woman in the Bible because the Garden of Eden did not belong in the original Old Testament.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Lizard

• Beckys_Mom

• Rlyeh

• norwood1026

Atheist Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou says that the Almighty.

her title says alot to me .

Oh you mean - she is someone with a fancy degree ...so that tells you she is highly educated... aha I see... well observed..:tu:

LOL, I wondered how long it would take for someone to squawk, but SHE'S AN ATHEIST!! *fingers in ears* There's nothing new about what she's saying about Yahweh and Asherah. I posted about it in the other thread. They were surrounded by pagan culture and gods had consorts, so they kept trying to give Yahweh one. They wouldn't have dedicated so much to it in the bible about Asherah to try to discourage it and stop it, if it wasn't a problem. They've found relics that say, "Yahweh and his Asherah." This was a time of transition from polytheism to monotheism, people were having a hard time letting of the old ways.

Edited by ChloeB

LOL, I wondered how long it would take for someone to squawk, but SHE'S AN ATHEIST!! *fingers in ears* There's nothing new about what she's saying about Yahweh and Asherah. I posted about it in the other thread. They were surrounded by pagan culture and gods had consorts, so they kept trying to give Yahweh one. They wouldn't have dedicated so much to it in the bible about Asherah to try to discourage it and stop it, if it wasn't a problem. They've found relics that say, "Yahweh and his Asherah." This was a time of transition from polytheism to monotheism, people were having a hard time letting of the old ways.

*squawks* yea but no but yea but...She's an........ATHEIST... how dare she !!:no:

:P

Edited by Beckys_Mom

How true, Chloe! It's not like the culture was 100% homogeneous ("Monotheists Only").

Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who has been given a primetime BBC slot, also claims that Eve has been ‘unfairly maligned’ by ‘middle-aged bearded men’ and should not have been blamed for the Fall of Man.

The University of Exeter lecturer told Radio Times: ‘Eve, particularly in the Christian tradition, has been very unfairly maligned as the troublesome wife.

not only an atheist but a feminist one at that

Dr Stavrakopoulou, who has a doctorate in theology from the University of Oxford, has confirmed she does not believe in God.

Oh no!

Dr Stavrakopoulou, who has a doctorate in theology from the University of Oxford, has confirmed she does not believe in God.

Oh Gods! She's an atheist, a woman, and smart! Heavens!

Oh the pain of it all.. imagine that...whats next? - she is female? dark hair? white? See if you can find her weight and then we can really chant stuff at her lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

How true, Chloe! It's not like the culture was 100% homogeneous ("Monotheists Only").

I never knew anything about god having a missus... reading that.. I have learned something...

It wouldn't surprise me if in early edition of Bible god had a wife and that later she was edited out. Especially when we know how Christianity fought "pagan" religions who worshiped females and wanted patriarchal society.

Bible took many things from former religions so this could be true and is perfectly plausible.

Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who has been given a primetime BBC slot,

Ok that add's to it - she's an atheist, feminist, who has brains to burn, attractive, and now by hte looks of it - going to be famous with her primetime slot with the BBC

The pain of it all

1st wife = mercury

2nd wife = venus

3rd wife = earth

If you continue down the solar system.. god would have been married more times than Liz Taylor !!

Oh you mean - she is someone with a fancy degree ...so that tells you she is highly educated... aha I see... well observed..:tu:

You have to keep a watch out for those types of people! :ph34r:

You have to keep a watch out for those types of people! :ph34r:

Yeaa.. so many with fancy degress like to trip us up :ph34r:

:lol:

In the topic I started it would it seem that she was called the Queen Of Heaven So she wasn't totally erased from the bible.

Edited by norwood1026

In the topic I started it would it seem that she always was called the Queen Of Heaven So she wasn't totally erased from the bible.

I beleive it does look as though she was... that was a massive edit of all edits

Yeaa.. so many with fancy degress like to trip us up :ph34r:

:lol:

I saw a picture of her & shes very beautiful. Smart and Beautiful??? Shes up to something no good! Plus she's got that whole Athiest thing going on!

:ph34r::ph34r:

I saw a picture of her & shes very beautiful. Smart and Beautiful??? Shes up to something no good! Plus she's got that whole Athiest thing going on!

:ph34r::ph34r:

Yes good looks.. you could say - she was blessed... but see that doesn't fit cuz - she's....an atheist !!!:ph34r::lol:

Great, anyone wanna provide whatever information was provided in these podcasts for those of us who can't listen to them and those who can't be buggered to type up an actual response?

Edited by ShadowSot

Can't imagine any wife allowing herself to be edited out of anything. Especially Mrs God.