Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can you regrow adult human teeth?

psychoticmike

As you start life out (developmentally) you have what is called an enamel organ. Which is formed by a couple cell types; one being ameloblasts. As the tooth grows and eventually erupts from the gum, it tears through the enamel organ, destroying it.

ok i see, do you think it would be possible to take that enamel organ, or the enamel it secretes from a growing wisdom tooth, and use it to regenerate another tooth? and when i say regenerate a tooth, i don't mean a whole one, i mean one that is damaged like a chipped tooth or something along the lines of that.

Without the enamel and dentin matrix you cannot grow new teeth as adults. In some other animals, this processes gets conserved into adult hood--In the lineage that spawned us, and the rest of mammals this was lost. The mammals were rather short lived and so it was a better evolutionary trade off, to allow the cells that form the enamel organ to die out than use resources to maintain them throughout life.

ok that makes sense, but since it was an evolutionary trade off, do you think since we have such a bad diet that ruins our teeth, we may be slowly evolving to keep that enamel organ or have teeth that last even longer?

No, nutrition has nothing to do with it. It will likely be possible, sometime in the future, to use bioengineering to harvest stem cells and force them to differentiate into cells that give rise to an enamel organ in vitro, and then transplant the organ into the maxilla.

ok, thanks for clearing that up, so all that on the web about nutrition is bull?

Continuous tooth deposition is different than regrowing a lost tooth. Continuous growth happens at the level of the root, where a few ameloblasts are maintained to deposit enamel. The majority of continuous growth work is done by odontoblasts, which deposit dentin matrix.

yeah i didn't mean a whole tooth just regenerating parts of one.

Tooth and bone deposition don't work the same. Bones are continuously deposited and reabsorbed through a restructuring process. This is mediated by special cell types called osteoclasts (a kin to macrophages) and osteoblasts. Unfortunately, we don't have an equivalent cell type for restructuring our teeth. As teeth are deposited they are crystalized with a mineral called hydroxyapatite (similar to bone, but only in much greater amounts). This hard mineralization makes teeth very durable and "long lived".

ok.

From an evolutionary standpoint, we are the sum of our selective pressures. Since most teeth will outlast the reproductive age of the organism (at least for hominids and other mammals) then there is little chance that evolution could favor a system to replace and regrow teeth in humans.

alright.

If you want I could recommend some reading for you.

yeah that would be great, thanks.

yeah i heard about it a while ago, and if my memory serves i think they said they could use it to regrow the dentin and everything else, but they couldn't figure out how to grow the enamel back yet, but i think this article could hold the key.

My link

If they can turn a stem cell into just about anything, I don't see how they will NOT be able to create enamel cells eventually. All they will do is stimulate some stim cells, inject them into the region that needs the tooth and bam, in a year you have a new tooth. The theory and technology already exist, it is simply a matter of creating a successful process to use.

• 1 month later...

Hello mate here is a link i just found on youtube .

Don't know how serious it is though !

Here is a chick that says you can regenerate teeth by using eggshells ..... http://www.naturalnews.com/029112_teeth_regeneration.html

I am in Australia and boy what i would do for a little help with teeth .

Scott

Edited by teeth regenerator

Man get off all sugars and grains and start eating whole foods and good lugs of cod liver oil, raw milk butter.

Check out Weston A Price - He did a 10 year study on teeth of rural tribes and how to make your teeth and body stronger

http://www.westonaprice.org/

I heard someone regrew all of the adult teeth after a hourse kicked them in the mouth. I would love it to be possible as some of my adult teeth never developed

• 4 weeks later...

Hello mate here is a link i just found on youtube .

Don't know how serious it is though !

thanks teeth regenerator, i came across that video recently and to me it looked fake so i went to the website and they say if you want more information about it you have to give them your name,country,and of course your email which set off red flags for me right away but i figured what the heck, my email is already full of spam so after i filled in the information it took me to a page saying sorry this is not real, at this time tooth regrowth is not possible we would all like it to be but its not, so buy our veneers or dentures or what ever it was they said LOL if you have to lie to me and get my hopes up to buy your ****ty inadequate product then i definitely won't buy it!!! what about you would you buy a product if someone the company selling it lied to you about it?

Here is a chick that says you can regenerate teeth by using eggshells ..... http://www.naturalnews.com/029112_teeth_regeneration.html

I am in Australia and boy what i would do for a little help with teeth .

Scott

i think i would do just about anything for a set of new teeth LOL but i don't know about the egg shells to me it doesn't seem like it would work and if it did work you would expect there to be a lot more success stories and a lot more people aware of it, but thanks for the links anyway have a nice day.

Man get off all sugars and grains and start eating whole foods and good lugs of cod liver oil, raw milk butter.

Check out Weston A Price - He did a 10 year study on teeth of rural tribes and how to make your teeth and body stronger

http://www.westonaprice.org/

yeah iv'e read a bit about mr. price and a lot of it is good information but there is somebody trying to sell a book based upon his work, and they said there book will tell you how to regrow teeth but i researched it and apparently it does fill in cavity's but not with hard enamel, its basically just crystallized dentin, but none the less it is very important to eat healthy food.

hmmm... there hasn't been to much activity on this thread lately does anyone have anymore information about tooth regrowth? if you were to regrow a human tooth how would you do it?

neither would i, but I'm sure there are some people out there with such bad teeth, they would volunteer! i wouldn't rather pay for dentures, they are unreliable in my opinion, i mean who wants to glue their teeth to their mouth every day for the rest of their life? not me!! and they can fall out too! the only option available as of now i would choose is implants but they are very expensive and they break down over time so you would have to replace them, not to mention the pain you would have to go threw to get them put in, and i don't know about you, but i have looked into all available methods and when people choose them, and get dentures, implants or veneers i can always tell they are fake, so in my opinion it would be much greater to be able to regrow your real teeth!

I think it is a shame we only get two sets of teeth..Your 1st set do not last.. My 5 yr old has lost two baby teeth already.. and her front two are now loose.. she is turning 6 soon..but it is a shame to loose them so fast.

I lost a back tooth.. When it came out.. the wisdom tooth grew in its place.. ..I recall thinking - I wish it was the same for all teeth.. I fear loosing teeth...implants are darn expensive..

If science are working on it for humans.. that is a great breakthrough

Look at the great white - they have rows of teeth... If they loose one ..another grows back..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Well this is just weird a couple of nights ago i dreamt all my teeth fell out and a new set grew in their place.

I did not know this thread existed until today ...:unsure2:

I would love science to figure this out ...

Well this is just weird a couple of nights ago i dreamt all my teeth fell out and a new set grew in their place.

I dreamt the same thing a few times.. I freaked out ..and then new ones appeared <-- meant to be a sign of vanity w00t.gif I do admit to some vanity yes lol

I dreamt the same thing a few times.. I freaked out ..and then new ones appeared <-- meant to be a sign of vanity w00t.gif I do admit to some vanity yes lol

Phew that's a relief, gotta say if I had more whitening product in my bathroom I'd have to add an extension to fit it - yep, gotta do something about that vanity - might be a little obsessive compulsive too :rolleyes:

Phew that's a relief, gotta say if I had more whitening product in my bathroom I'd have to add an extension to fit it - yep, gotta do something about that vanity - might be a little obsessive compulsive too :rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong with looking after ones appearance lol I have used the whitening..also plumped for the gel you can get.. with the gum shields...it works.. but can be sore on the gums

I see nothing wrong with looking after ones appearance lol I have used the whitening..also plumped for the gel you can get.. with the gum shields...it works.. but can be sore on the gums

Yeah I use a gel too, supposed to leave it on for 10 mins, someone always picks that time to ask me a question disgust.gif

Yeah I use a gel too, supposed to leave it on for 10 mins, someone always picks that time to ask me a question disgust.gif

ha ha @ bolded part lol Gary always talks to me when I have it in..I am sitting there the drool coming out of my mouth and all you hear is - mmmhh mm mmmmhhh mmh mmh MH MMHmh <-- translated - would you shut it for 10 mins!! After a few applications.. I tend to flash my teeth at everyone.,... making up excuses just to smile w00t.gif

ha ha @ bolded part lol Gary always talks to me when I have it in..I am sitting there the drool coming out of my mouth and all you hear is - mmmhh mm mmmmhhh mmh mmh MH MMHmh <-- translated - would you shut it for 10 mins!! After a few applications.. I tend to flash my teeth at everyone.,... making up excuses just to smile w00t.gif

Exactly, except it's usually my niece. It's like a new coat of nail polish but on your teeth LOL.

Exactly, except it's usually my niece. It's like a new coat of nail polish but on your teeth LOL.

It used to burn my gums... then I got used to it.. I bought a bottle of - Corsodyl mouth wash.. it treats the gums.. and it taste vile.. but it works well...Dentists recommend it for gum problems... Do you have Corsodyl over there?

Have you ever thought of using - Baking soda? I have.. it brings out the whiteness too...again vile taste..but it does work

See I am a smoker.. and drink coffee.. ( well sometimes would drink it)...and so I tend to keep scrubbing with the baking soda or use the gel ...

I think it is a shame we only get two sets of teeth..Your 1st set do not last.. My 5 yr old has lost two baby teeth already.. and her front two are now loose.. she is turning 6 soon..but it is a shame to loose them so fast.

me to its not fair <_<

and they are definitely lost to fast imo.

I lost a back tooth.. When it came out.. the wisdom tooth grew in its place.. ..I recall thinking - I wish it was the same for all teeth.. I fear loosing teeth...implants are darn expensive..

If science are working on it for humans.. that is a great breakthrough

Look at the great white - they have rows of teeth... If they loose one ..another grows back..

yes i feel the same only my teeth are getting worse everyday, at first it was just a chip, then another then a third, and now i have a crack half way through one of my front bottom teeth its pretty scary i have to admit, cause i have no insurance or money to even pay to get them fixed my bodys going to **** already at 19 :cry:

i wish we had a similar system to sharks that would be awesome.

do you have any ideas? if you were to try to regrow a human tooth what would you study to figure it out?

wow that is pretty weird!! all tho i have these weird coincidences all the time, like I'll say a certain word and then half a second later i will here that exact word muttered out of someones mouth on the tv, or see it on a billboard etc. happens everyday!! yesterday i went to the new library to get a card cause i moved, my mom was with me and she found a book about Elvis totally by mistake in the non-fiction isle, later we were in the dvd section and i was just picking up random dvds to look at and the second one i picked up was a dvd about Elvis, then later that night someone on tv said his name, wtf? at first i thought it was crazy and weird as hell cause it happens all the time multiple times a day but now its just pretty routine. and yeah i would be so grateful and relieved if scientists finally figured it out and i could just go and get it done!!

It used to burn my gums... then I got used to it.. I bought a bottle of - Corsodyl mouth wash.. it treats the gums.. and it taste vile.. but it works well...Dentists recommend it for gum problems... Do you have Corsodyl over there?

Have you ever thought of using - Baking soda? I have.. it brings out the whiteness too...again vile taste..but it does work

See I am a smoker.. and drink coffee.. ( well sometimes would drink it)...and so I tend to keep scrubbing with the baking soda or use the gel ...

Ha ha I am a smoker and coffee drinker too - same reasoning, thanks for the tip on the baking soda - didn't know and I have never looked for Corsodyl either. I use Pepsi Max

LOL, if I swish a few gulps around, it cleans my tongue, gums and teeth - they must put some serious crap in that stuff :unsure2:

wow that is pretty weird!! all tho i have these weird coincidences all the time, like I'll say a certain word and then half a second later i will here that exact word muttered out of someones mouth on the tv, or see it on a billboard etc. happens everyday!! yesterday i went to the new library to get a card cause i moved, my mom was with me and she found a book about Elvis totally by mistake in the non-fiction isle, later we were in the dvd section and i was just picking up random dvds to look at and the second one i picked up was a dvd about Elvis, then later that night someone on tv said his name, wtf? at first i thought it was crazy and weird as hell cause it happens all the time multiple times a day but now its just pretty routine. and yeah i would be so grateful and relieved if scientists finally figured it out and i could just go and get it done!!

LOL I totally agree, there has to be a scientific explanation, it can't all be coincidence it happens way too often for that. Besides some dreams that have come true have done so exactly how they played out in the dream and that is not possible unless there is something else going on - I've been trying to figure out what for a great many years now ... It's almost impossible for a body of evidence to reach enough critical mass for science to treat it seriously though, so much gets in the way, not the least of which is all the different belief systems for what these occurences are, alas there isn't even a concrete theory that covers it.

• 1 month later...

ok this thread has gotten derailed a bit ( i don't mind) i would just like to get back on topic, does anybody else have any information on this? or anything to contribute? call me crazy but is there any possibility hypnosis could cause tooth regrowth? i have heard stories about it being able to cause physical change although i don't know of the validity of those claims.

any takers?

"By the age of 50 years, the average American has lost approximately 8 teeth (DHHS Report, 2000). By age 65, approximately 35% of the population is edentulous. Treatment for tooth loss often involves dentures, whose long-term use results in bone resorption of the underlying jaw. Alternative treatments offered by oral surgeons include replacement of lost teeth with dental implants or rarely autologous tooth re-implantation. Approximately 74 million U.S. adults are potential candidates for dental implants. Dental implant procedures are expensive (ranging from $2,000 for a single tooth to $25,000 for an entire jaw), are at times uncomfortable, and frequently eventually fail. For example, the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons defines implant success as 85–90% survival of the implant for only 5–10 years."

so basically if all your teeth rot out you'll be paying $25,000 or more every 5-10 years to get new ones implanted?

i wonder when they are finally gonna come out with these supposed tooth regeneration technologies. Out of all different ways they have come up with they all are gonna take 5-10 more years to come out? i read an article about the ultrasound device a while back and it was dated years ago and back then they said it was gonna take 5-10 years until it comes out, and that many years has passed and nothing!

Edited by psychoticmike

some more info!

July 12, 2011

Functional Tooth Regeneration Using a Bioengineered Tooth Unit as a Mature Organ Replacement Regenerative Therapy

Molar teeth and jaw bone were grown from stem cells in one mouse and then transplanted to another mouse. This was a proof of concept for growing mature organs for harvest and transplant from an individuals stem cells.

Donor organ transplantation is currently an essential therapeutic approach to the replacement of a dysfunctional organ as a result of disease, injury or aging in vivo. Recent progress in the area of regenerative therapy has the potential to lead to bioengineered mature organ replacement in the future. In this proof of concept study, we here report a further development in this regard in which a bioengineered tooth unit comprising mature tooth, periodontal ligament and alveolar bone, was successfully transplanted into a properly-sized bony hole in the alveolar bone through bone integration by recipient bone remodeling in a murine transplantation model system. The bioengineered tooth unit restored enough the alveolar bone in a vertical direction into an extensive bone defect of murine lower jaw. Engrafted bioengineered tooth displayed physiological tooth functions such as mastication, periodontal ligament function for bone remodeling and responsiveness to noxious stimulations. This study thus represents a substantial advance and demonstrates the real potential for bioengineered mature organ replacement as a next generation regenerative therapy.

My link

• The topic was locked