Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

El Chupacabra Mystery Definitively Solved,

Still Waters

Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster rank as the top two best-known monsters in the world, but since its 1995 debut, El Chupacabra has made a Justin Bieber-like ascension to No. 3 on the charts.The relative newcomer to the monster world is the go-to culprit for weird livestock deaths and creates a massive media stir whenever it's "sighted." It even has a fan club on Facebook.

That could all end, now that Benjamin Radford, author of several books on monsters and paranormal phenomena, managing editor of the journal The Skeptical Inquirer and LiveScience columnist, has released what he says to be definitive proof that El Chupacabra is not real; it's not even a hoax, he said, but rather a leftover memory of a science-fiction film.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flashbelieve

• Rafterman

• Myles

• WHO U KIDDIN

Nothing is proven here, I can't really see where the story is. Just some guy with a psych degree trying to make a name for himself.

*Snip*

I don't think I ever heard of the chupacabra until the XFiles episode.

1997 I think.

Nibs

Edited by Karlis
Deleted from previos post

SW - Thx for the read. Pretty interesting.

The thing that bugs me about this article is that there are two very distinct questions and it only answers one of them.

From the article:

Stories of El Chupacabra first surfaced in March 1995 in Puerto Rico, Radford said, when dead, blood-drained goats began showing up (El Chupacabra translates to "goat sucker").

That August, a newspaper printed an eyewitness description of a bipedal creature, 4 to 5 feet tall with spikes down its back, long, thin arms and legs, and an alienlike oblong head with red or black eyes. That depiction became associated with El Chupacabra, and it reports of similar creatures began popping up throughout the Caribbean, in Latin America, Mexico and Florida.

So he answered where the description and prevelence of claims came from, but he doesn't answer the fundamental question of what in the hell drained the blood from those goats. Solved? Hardly.

The thing that bugs me about this article is that there are two very distinct questions and it only answers one of them.

From the article:

Stories of El Chupacabra first surfaced in March 1995 in Puerto Rico, Radford said, when dead, blood-drained goats began showing up (El Chupacabra translates to "goat sucker").

That August, a newspaper printed an eyewitness description of a bipedal creature, 4 to 5 feet tall with spikes down its back, long, thin arms and legs, and an alienlike oblong head with red or black eyes. That depiction became associated with El Chupacabra, and it reports of similar creatures began popping up throughout the Caribbean, in Latin America, Mexico and Florida.

So he answered where the description and prevelence of claims came from, but he doesn't answer the fundamental question of what in the hell drained the blood from those goats. Solved? Hardly.

If you listen to the interview posted above, the animals weren't in fact drained of blood. That was just part of the hysteria.

Rafterman,

Thanks. I can't listen to it @ work but I will give it a listen later. I appreciate the heads up.

So his evidence that he has solved the mystery is that this....

chupacabra.jpg

looks a little like this?...

sc-species-photo-09.jpg

Wow! Guess he busted this mystery wide open... not!

Edited by DieChecker

it makes sense the movie and the chupacabra legend both came out around the same time and I can see the similarities between the two.

hahah my chihuahua puppy looks just like that when she gets her fur wet ..lol

Good article. It tells how media and hysteria works. And even though Species monster and El Chupacabra are not 1-to-1 the same, there are similarities. The drawing I suppose is drawed based on description, so that explains the difference. But there are dozens of different kind of El Chupacabra pictures I've seen, many of them totally different from each other what points more towards to urban legend.

Still El Chuppie is my favourite cryptid even though I know it is not real.

So his evidence that he has solved the mystery is that this....

chupacabra.jpg

looks a little like this?...

sc-species-photo-09.jpg

Wow! Guess he busted this mystery wide open... not!

Did you look at the pics that you posted? I think they very close.

i give props to this guy who put together the timeline and came up with what I think is the probable start to this.

From the article:

Exactly what I was thinking, I don't beleive there is such a creature as this.... But the article was a complete waste of time, I hate articles like this. Everything he said was already obvious to everyone. lol

So does anyone have any information on an animal that is proven to exist that could suck the blood from a goat? Don't they have bats int hat area capable of this?

Exactly what I was thinking, I don't beleive there is such a creature as this.... But the article was a complete waste of time, I hate articles like this. Everything he said was already obvious to everyone. lol

So does anyone have any information on an animal that is proven to exist that could suck the blood from a goat? Don't they have bats int hat area capable of this?

You do realize that if he told everything in the article that you wouldn't then be compelled to buy the book, right?

Again, listen to the podcast posted above. The dead animals were not ensanguinated by any means. That was simply a myth that came out of them having puncture marks on their necks. Now, think about all of those Discovery Channel and Nat Geo specials you've seen about animals in the wild - where do they typically bite their prey to kill them..... :tu:

So....a science fiction/horror movie influenced mass hysteria? So, I'm guessing that lake monsters were seen more often in Japan after Gojira (1954) was released? I guess that's logical (not). :rolleyes:

Not that I'm convinced that the Chupacabra is a monster, but that is a ridiculous assumption.

Edited by UFO_Monster

You do realize that if he told everything in the article that you wouldn't then be compelled to buy the book, right?

Again, listen to the podcast posted above. The dead animals were not ensanguinated by any means. That was simply a myth that came out of them having puncture marks on their necks. Now, think about all of those Discovery Channel and Nat Geo specials you've seen about animals in the wild - where do they typically bite their prey to kill them..... :tu:

Ah right I get you, so there was no "drained blood" (except what would have naturally have bled out) and it was standard kill marks from a predator.... This guy has made this article to sell a book.... I'm getting sick of these articles an these money grabbing morons who just want to make money from Cryptids and UFO's etc.

I've long thought El Chupacabra wasn't really what people were describing. Nor did I think the Texas hairless chihuahua looking creatures were the chupacabra. But mangy coyotes???? If so.... I'm disappointed in coyotes. I'm pretty sure they look nothing like that under their fur. I have seen plenty and some very closely.

Ah right I get you, so there was no "drained blood" (except what would have naturally have bled out) and it was standard kill marks from a predator.... This guy has made this article to sell a book.... I'm getting sick of these articles an these money grabbing morons who just want to make money from Cryptids and UFO's etc.

Apparently, there's a lot of money to be had, otherwise the Weekly World News wouldn't be capitalizing on such things as the Bat Boy or constant end of days prophecies that never happens or spotting Michael Jackson on the moon. Sadly, all three mentions are actual article publications too.

Apparently, there's a lot of money to be had, otherwise the Weekly World News wouldn't be capitalizing on such things as the Bat Boy or constant end of days prophecies that never happens or spotting Michael Jackson on the moon. Sadly, all three mentions are actual article publications too.

Hahaha, that's funny as hell!