Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Introductory" genre films

Avant

So I've got 2 kids, girls to be exact aged 6 and 7.

I was looking into some films to introduce them to the paranormal/horror genre of films. They are already pretty de-sentitised to Zombies (through playing Plants vs Zombies game and also watching me play various Zombie games on Xbox) They have seen parts of Shaun of the Dead but nothing past that.

I'm looking to introduce them to some "scarier" films, preferably about Aliens/Space/Ghosts.

Any recommendations?

Also opinions on what age is appropriate to view films need not be left, as a parent I'm the one who chooses what they can and can't watch not some goverment body.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wookietim

• Avant

• Nadia B.

• Dr Strange

Kids?

Well - the remake of "Dawn of the dead" would probably be up their alley (I prefer the original but I recognize that it is a slower moving movie and probably not going to attract kids weaned on the newer stuff). "28 days/weeks later" is also another nice, solid zombie movie (Yeah - it's not really "Zombies" - I know... But let's face it : It's a zombie movie at it's heart). "Zombieland" was a lot of fun... but that seems to be a rather divisive film with people either liking it or hating it.

Branching out beyond zombies though... With Vampires, the only good one in recent years (in English) is "Let me in". I liked it but it's really really really slow so it might not really work well for kids.

In werewolves, the classics still hold up : "The Howling" (Only the first one!) and "An American Werewolf in London". Both are fun, both are kinda scary in some points and both feature some really good effects sequences.

In ghosts, there seem to be a good supply. "Dead End" is a fun but little known movie that is well worth watching (And it's on Netflix watch instantly). "The Blair Witch Project" and "Paranormal Activity" are both worth a viewing. And - I forget the specific name but its something like "A haunting in Connecticut" is decent if a bit silly sometimes...

Sixth sense, Sleepy Hollow, Poltergeist, The ring are all good ghost movies.

Signs is a good Alien invasion film, not exactly scary but incredibly suspenseful. War of the Worlds.

(John Carpenter's) The Thing, They Live and Predator -- alien/horror.

Fright Night, Blade 1 and 2, Salems Lot, The Lost Boys -- Vampire films.

As for Space/sci-fi related horror, I can't really think of too many but here's a list of some that came to mind:

Event Horizon

Alien

Pitch Black

Sixth sense, Sleepy Hollow, Poltergeist, The ring are all good ghost movies.

Signs is a good Alien invasion film, not exactly scary but incredibly suspenseful. War of the Worlds.

(John Carpenter's) The Thing, They Live and Predator -- alien/horror.

Fright Night, Blade 1 and 2, Salems Lot, The Lost Boys -- Vampire films.

As for Space/sci-fi related horror, I can't really think of too many but here's a list of some that came to mind:

Event Horizon

Alien

Pitch Black

"Poltergeist"! - I had forgotten about that! Great movie, suitable for all ages and contains some genuinely scary scenes!

My kids love Goosebumps. :unsure2: Hell, some of the episodes even scare ME sometimes. :lol:

I was looking to ease them in a bit 1st before unleashing stuff like "The Thing" and "Aliens" on them

Might try them on Goosebumps though, i've heard good things

my little pony....your welcome

I was looking to ease them in a bit 1st before unleashing stuff like "The Thing" and "Aliens" on them

That series ("Goosebumps") was really good actually... another fun one sort of like it was the Saturday morning animated version of "Tales from the crypt" - it had some effective episodes as well...

I'd say Poltergeist and Zombieland is probably a good starting point.