Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Future set in stone?

Pinkstar14

Okay so a couple friends of mine were having a dicussion and we couldnt agree. So i want to know what you guys think.

Is the future set in stone?

Say for instance u get a reading and u ask when will u get married, and your reader tells u they see u getting married in two years. Is this definite? Is there no way for you to speed up or slow it all down if you would like?

I know people have different views on the subject so what's yours??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Alienated Being

• Leah G.

• White Crane Feather

When given a reading it depends on how good the reader actually is. Most things though are given to you and you are able to make a choice about that situation.

If you're told you are going to get a new job and love it but will have to move o/s it's still your free choice on whether you take that job or not.

A reading is for guidance only, it is always up to you what you will do with your future.

Edited by Tia

Okay so a couple friends of mine were having a dicussion and we couldnt agree. So i want to know what you guys think.

Say for instance u get a reading and u ask when will u get married, and your reader tells u they see u getting married in two years. Is this definite? Is there no way for you to speed up or slow it all down if you would like?

Well, as there are no real psychics, no. Its not set in stone. Its up to you to change the future.

One may argue that its already predestined i guess, where everything youre going to do was actually going to happen one way or another though.

Well, as there are no real psychics, no. Its not set in stone. Its up to you to change the future.

One may argue that its already predestined i guess, where everything youre going to do was actually going to happen one way or another though.

Mulder, as there is no irrefutable evidence that can support either side of the argument, everything related to it is assumption and opinion. Science can not prove it, nor can they disprove it. It all comes down to personal belief. Professing it as being fact and not their own belief simply makes a person appear ignorant.

-AB

Edited by Alienated Being

.....No. Just plain "No".

The "future" is not some distant, singular event but just every moment preceding this one. In the next minute I could be doing anything from sitting here and typing to going to bed or whatever.

The future is dependent on so many variables including free will and the potentials of actions from others. Let's say I am driving, minding my own business and I get sideswiped. Now that "future" was not predetermined but was merely a result of actions someone else also engaged in. Neither party really knew this would happen.

My point is that you cannot really tell the distant future with any large amount of accuracy..granted if I see someone walking the tracks of a passenger lift, I can reasonably say that if he doesn't move out of the way of the oncoming lift, he's gonna get it. But he may or may not move..I cannot predict his future actions..only the most plausible possibilities.

We can assume or extrapolate but not predict.

Mulder, as there is no irrefutable evidence that can support either side of the argument, everything related to it is assumption and opinion. Science can not prove it, nor can they disprove it. It all comes down to personal belief. Professing it as being fact and not their own belief simply makes a person appear ignorant.

-AB

Not true. Due to the lack of psychics being able to prove there is such a thing there is no proof what so ever that the said ability even exists. Meaning science has nothing to disprove as there is nothing to disprove. How would science prove something that has do evidence that the something even exists?

Mulder is 100% correct, there are no psychics.

Not true. Due to the lack of psychics being able to prove there is such a thing there is no proof what so ever that the said ability even exists. Meaning science has nothing to disprove as there is nothing to disprove. How would science prove something that has do evidence that the something even exists?

Mulder is 100% correct, there are no psychics.

As I said previously, any argument supporting the notion of psychics or against it are complete and utter opinion and assumption. There have been a great many people in this world foreseeing events before they actually occur. I, myself, can attest to that.

I would hardly put all of my faith into science simply because they can not even fully explain the complexity of the human mind. That, alone, suggests that the possibility of psychic ability is a reality. The mind is capable of a great many things.

-AB

As I said previously, any argument supporting the notion of psychics or against it are complete and utter opinion and assumption. There have been a great many people in this world foreseeing events before they actually occur. I, myself, can attest to that.

I would hardly put all of my faith into science simply because they can not even fully explain the complexity of the human mind. That, alone, suggests that the possibility of psychic ability is a reality. The mind is capable of a great many things.

-AB

If this is the case why is there absolutely zero evidence? Could you name a few real psychics for me?

If this is the case why is there absolutely zero evidence? Could you name a few real psychics for me?

Most self-proclaimed psychics that you see in the media are not real psychics. I honestly believe that the real psychics choose not to exploit their abilities. You hear of incidents wherein people foresee events before they happen all of the time. Even science agrees that the human body bears a sixth sense.

-AB

What would be proof to you? If I told you that you were going to have an unexpected guest at your home and you did, would that be enough proof? Or would you want their name, age and occupation? It wouldn't be enough to tell you that they would have a loud voice or were saying something important to you would it? Or if I was to tell you that a female would be doing some baking for you, you would want to know what female, your wife but your not married, ok then, your girlfriend then but you don't have a girlfriend, the woman you live with then but you live at your Mother's house and not with a woman. Your Mother is a woman but she doesn't count. Do you see where I'm going with this, there is no proof good enough for you. If you can connect things to your life that a psychic sees you say it's just a coincidences. You say it's vague, well of course they are going to be vague, there isn't a movie camera in our heads or your life!! It really comes down to opinions or feelings. No proof in the sense that you want. It's not black and white, on or off.

Can we agree to disagree and be done with it? A discussion on this subject will never be won or lost. It's a useless waste of energy.

Hatch.

Most self-proclaimed psychics that you see in the media are not real psychics. I honestly believe that the real psychics choose not to exploit their abilities. You hear of incidents wherein people foresee events before they happen all of the time. Even science agrees that the human body bears a sixth sense.

-AB

So you have nothing :hmm: one or two examples is all I am asking for. Why do "real" psychics hide there abilities if there abilities could help man kind?

What would be proof to you? If I told you that you were going to have an unexpected guest at your home and you did, would that be enough proof? Or would you want their name, age and occupation? It wouldn't be enough to tell you that they would have a loud voice or were saying something important to you would it? Or if I was to tell you that a female would be doing some baking for you, you would want to know what female, your wife but your not married, ok then, your girlfriend then but you don't have a girlfriend, the woman you live with then but you live at your Mother's house and not with a woman. Your Mother is a woman but she doesn't count. Do you see where I'm going with this, there is no proof good enough for you. If you can connect things to your life that a psychic sees you say it's just a coincidences. You say it's vague, well of course they are going to be vague, there isn't a movie camera in our heads or your life!! It really comes down to opinions or feelings. No proof in the sense that you want. It's not black and white, on or off.

Can we agree to disagree and be done with it? A discussion on this subject will never be won or lost. It's a useless waste of energy.

Hatch.

So you want to make a number of guess's and just hope a few darts actually hit the dart board?

So you want to make a number of guess's and just hope a few darts actually hit the dart board?

I didn't say that or anything like that. Let's just agree to disagree without angry words. We can do that, we are adults and we rarely agreed on the political boards either but it was all fine there, so have the same grace here.

I didn't say that or anything like that. Let's just agree to disagree without angry words. We can do that, we are adults and we rarely agreed on the political boards either but it was all fine there, so have the same grace here.

I am not trying to start anything personal by any means. I would just like a taste of something you call proof, anything really. I don't think I am asking for much and as any psychic should know, they would be asked this there for have something ready to present, no?

Oh and yes you did say that.

Edited by The Silver Thong

I don't think anything is set in stone life is full of choices you have to make. I guess it only take one choice good or bad that could change everything for the better or worse but it may not even be a choice you make it could even be somebody else that could change the path of your life.

-AB

Actually, the lack of any evidence for the 'psychics' really helps out the other side. Logic dictates its the correct side.

I am not trying to start anything personal by any means. I would just like a taste of something you call proof, anything really. I don't think I am asking for much and as any psychic should know, they would be asked this there for have something ready to present, no?

Oh and yes you did say that.

You see the problem of course is you want to argue something that has already been argued. Over and over again. We get it..... you don't beleive in psycics. I have my misgivings about most of them myself. Saying it's a fact is purely ignorance on the part of the person saying it. It has not been prooven either way. It's Simply the faith of a reductionist.

The topic is about predestination yes or no? Why?

I love to hear every ones fews on the subject! I didnt mean to cause controversy though!

Predestination?

Hmm

if you are a reductionist like the most of the cynics around here, then you have to beleive in predestination. The reductionist world is ruled by mathmatical relationships. Once the universe was set in motion it can act in no other way. Some of them will try to invoke the uncertainty principle ( this has to do with the seemingly random fluctuations of subatomic particles) but in a reductionist world even this would have to be ruled by some rule or mathmatical principals as of yet undescovered ir prooven.

Non reductionist thinking leaves room for free will. If free will exists, then the future can only exist as a thought experiment and not as any kind of reality. Although likely hoods and things already set in motion would be decernable. This is where I think precog has it's roots and also why it is necessarily vauge.

Choice and conciousness cannot be included in the reductionist model as of yet. Science is still trying to understand it. Reductionists can tell with a high degree of certainty that if I throw a rock it will bounce here move that Rock etc. If I throw it hard enough ( like superman) at just the right angle, I can even get it to orbit the earth. What they can't tell is if I will choose to throw it or not. The can make educated guesses to some degree, but they better not tell me or else I might change my mind. Choice, observation, conciousness apears to be at the very base of reality, which would negate predestination.

Edited by Seeker79

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pinkstar,

I don't believe the future is set in stone.

In my own beliefs, I do believe that we are in existence before we are born, and we choose to have certain experiences throughout life ...

But I don't believe that's set in stone ...

And I also don't believe that it's the kind of agreement we make before we're born where we say, "Okay, when I'm 16 years old, on Tuesday November 2 I'm going to go out with .... and ...."

What I see it as is 'energetic' experiences. Such as, "In this life, I will have experiences that challenge me to grow patience, love, and compassion ... "

Life is a strange dichotomy and I don't take it to seriously ... I used to question it a lot but now I see the universe more as I'm an ant, and the rest of the universe is a billion times bigger than the person is to an ant ... Meaning, I could never comprehend or fully understand it ... I can get an idea of how it works based on my own ideas but, ultimately, even those are going to be faulty!

With Love & Gratitude,

--Sean Patrick Simpson

www.AdventuresInManifesting.org