Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A solar salamander

ShadowSot

Occasionally, researchers stumble across something extraordinary in a system that has been studied for decades.

Ryan Kerney of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, did just that while looking closely at a clutch of emerald-green balls — embryos of the spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum). He noticed that their bright green colour comes from within the embryos themselves, as well as from the jelly capsule that encases them.

Article on Nature

While invertebrate species, like the Spotted Jellyfish, have been known to be symbiotically linked to photosynthesizing cells, this is the first example of a vertebrate with this ability.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SV-001

• ShadowSot

• Swamptick

• Rehabinum

Absolutely incredible.

Wow! That is excellent. I have kept and propagated corals and knew of this type of relationship in inverts, but this is exciting news. When the scientific community learns something new it makes for a very good day!

I: photosynthetic humans next please??

I'd rather have bulbasaur. :lol:

Article on Nature

While invertebrate species, like the Spotted Jellyfish, have been known to be symbiotically linked to photosynthesizing cells, this is the first example of a vertebrate with this ability.

Once again us " know it all" humans get surprised by nature. Fantastic.:yes:

Wow..that is really neat.

So the symbiotic relationship continues long after the salamander is born.

Makes me wonder then if this couldn't also be possibly true for dinosaurs as well?

I mean, such a huge creature might benefit from such a cooperation. Maybe?

Anyways..really neat to read.

Photosynthetic humans. Now that we know vertebrates can do this, we have seen the first step to such a dream. It will be a while before we see it really happen, and I doubt the developed world will be the first testing ground. Photosynthesis takes the purpose out of wheat farming, or most of it anyway. Sugary snacks and grain based products would take a severe cut as our bodies got their energy from the sun. All modesty would be gone, naked sunbathing would be equivalent to eating. There was a sci-fi short story based on the idea of photosynthetic humans. It took place in Africa. There'd be less resistance and more purpose for it there. Way more purpose for it in the developing world. . . less food eaten means less overhead for sweatshop owners. Eventually, though, it would catch on and rich people would have their embryos implanted with this. As the process got easier, and cheaper, it would catch on. Land use would change, we'd see either a return to forests or more homes made.