Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hezbollah assisting in Syria suppression

dekker87

Protesters report hearing security forces speaking Farsi; Syrian official says 12 killed in Latakia over course of two days.

Israel has raised concerns that Iran and Hezbollah are participating in the suppression of demonstrations in Syria, reported Army Radio on Sunday.

The report states that according to a Foreign Ministry official in Jerusalem, local protesters have said that some of the security guards that are dispersing the protests have been speaking in Farsi, and this fact proves the close ties between Damascus and Tehran.

Israel estimated that in the coming days it will be possible to see Iranian involvement in dispersing the protests in Syria.

"Syria is an Iranian acquisition, and it is clear that Iran is afraid that its investments will go down the drain. So it has allowed for greater involvement than in other Arab countries," Army Radio reported Foreign Ministry officials as saying.

My link

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knight Of Shadows

• dekker87

• lucifer_reborn_amen

• MichaelW

SYRIA: PROTESTS; VIDEO, HUNDREDS WANT 'NO HEZBOLLAH NO IRAN!

''No Hezbollah nor Iran!'' is the slogan chanted by hundreds of ''Daraa demonstrators'', in southern Syria, where last night six people were reportedly killed during clashes between security forces and local residents on the sixth consecutive day of protests against the regime.

In a video broadcast on Youtube and other social networks by the channel ''Shamsnn'', one of the most active in showing amateur videos of what is happening in southern Syria, there are hundreds of ''Daraa demonstrators'' shouting ''La Hezbollah wu la Iran!'' (Ne' Hezbollah nor Iran!). It is impossible to determine the exact date or location of the demonstration of when the video was shot.

The Syrian regime has been in power for almost 50 years, an ally of the Iranian Islamic Republic for thirty years and for the past twenty years has supported the Hezbollah Lebanese Shiite movement, against Israel. (ANSAmed).

Facts presented by Israel? :unsure2:

no.

an israeli newspaper.

not israel.

israel has a free press unlike that in syria.

100 protesters murdered in Syria, Protesters claim Hezbollah killing squads involved

Emails I’ve gotten from two Syrian friends have said that Hezbollah men are involved in helping the Syrian army to quell the protests and that they opened fire on groups of protesters who were peacefully demonstrating. Ynet is reporting similar claims:

“Activists said the death toll in the anti-government protests has climbed to 100.

Meanwhile, Syrian opposition leaders have accused President Bashar Assad of using Hezbollah to suppress the anti-government protests. Abd el-Razek told BBC Arabic that Hezbollah operatives were working alongside Syrian security forces to quell the riots in Deraa. Other opposition leaders have made similar claims.”

no.

an israeli newspaper.

not israel.

israel has a free press unlike that in syria.

An israeli newspaper? Im not surprised at all. :sleepy:

You need to calm down a bit or you might end up having a heart attack before you see democracy in the ME

i'm perfectly calm thank you.

this is elementary stuff for me.

what's wrong with an israeli news source lucifer?

explain why i shouldnt trust it?

the other links are not from israel btw but carry on....tell me what's so untrustworthy about a free israeli newspaper...and then tell me why the syrian state news is more 'trustworthy'....

Did you even listen to the syrian state news before making a decision? or did you just read all the israeli and pro-democracy newspapers and post your link blindly? I dint tell you not to trust it did i? thats totally your call.

Did you even listen to the syrian state news before making a decision? or did you just read all the israeli and pro-democracy newspapers and post your link blindly? I dint tell you not to trust it did i? thats totally your call.

The Syrian State news SANA is a mouthpiece of the Baath party.

they are only goin to say whatever assad wants them to.

My link

that shows how the baathists control syrian state media...hmmm...now what about israel?!

let's see what freedom house have to say about that (and before you start off on another anti-semitic tangent by claiming freedom house to be some sort of zionist mouthpiece may i jusy say that f/h are extremely critical of israeli actions in regards of the palestinians) anyway here's it's assessment of the israeli media:

Status change explanation: Israel improved from Partly Free to Free to reflect the lifting of the blanket ban on foreign reporters visiting Gaza that had been imposed in late 2008, as well as generally vibrant coverage of political events by the Israeli press throughout 2009.

Israel features a lively, pluralistic media environment in which press freedom is generally respected. Nevertheless, due to ongoing conflicts with Palestinian groups and neighboring countries, media outlets are subject to a military censor, and journalists sometimes face travel restrictions.

Legal protections for freedom of the press are robust. While the country’s basic law does not specifically address the issue, the Supreme Court has affirmed that freedom of expression is an essential component of human dignity. The legal standing of press freedom has also been reinforced by court rulings citing the principles laid out in the declaration of independence. Hate speech and publishing praise of violence are prohibited, and the 1948 Prevention of Terrorism Ordinance bans expressions of support for terrorist organizations or groups that call for the destruction of Israel. Publishers are required to receive a license from the Interior Ministry to operate a newspaper, while broadcasters are covered by a separate regulatory regime. The Government Press Office (GPO) requires journalists operating in Israel to have proper accreditation to attend official press conferences, gain access to government buildings, and pass through Israeli military checkpoints. Foreign journalists, including some who are strongly critical of Israeli policies, are generally accredited. However, the GPO has occasionally refused to provide press cards—especially to Palestinians—on security grounds, thus preventing the affected reporters from entering Israel. In February 2009, Israel did not renew the work visas of non-Israeli journalists with the Qatar-based satellite television station Al-Jazeera and limited the station’s access to military spokespeople after Qatar cut trade ties with Israel.

Under a 1996 Censorship Agreement between the media and the military, the censor has the power—on the grounds of national security—to penalize, shut down, or stop the printing of a newspaper, or to confiscate its printing machines. In practice, however, the censor’s role is quite limited, and journalists often evade restrictions by leaking a story to a foreign outlet and then republishing it. In January 2009, two Palestinian journalists—Hadir Shaheen and Mohammed Sarhan of Al-Alam television in Ramallah—were indicted in Israel for reporting on the deployment of Israeli soldiers to Gaza without clearance from Israeli censorship authorities; after being released to house arrest, they were sentenced in June to two months in prison.

A long-standing law forbidding Israeli citizens from traveling to “enemy states” such as Lebanon and Syria without permission from the Interior Ministry has on occasion been applied to journalists, most recently in 2007. Press freedom organizations have condemned the selective application of the law, as well as the potential effects of such travel restrictions on the diversity of news available to the Israeli public. In general, Israeli journalists are barred from entering the Palestinian territories without explicit military approval. However, under an informal arrangement, the military ignores the presence of Israeli journalists in the West Bank. Israeli journalists have been prohibited from entering the Gaza Strip since 2006 under a military decree that cites their personal safety. This ban was extended to all foreign journalists in November 2008 on similar safety grounds, though several officials have made statements indicating that they wanted to prevent damaging articles or limit negative coverage. The military temporarily lifted the Gaza ban in December 2008, only to reinstate it and declare the Gaza Strip a closed military zone later that month, at the onset of a major Israeli military operation in the territory. An Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson said that the closed military zone extended two miles into Israeli territory, effectively preventing both local and foreign journalists from reporting on developments near the border as well. A December 31 Supreme Court ruling called for a limited number of foreign journalists to be allowed entry into Gaza, but this was not heeded by the military until late January 2009, by which point a ceasefire had been declared. The restrictions on foreign journalists were lifted, as was the rule barring Israeli reporters from the border area, but the older prohibition on Israelis entering Gaza remained in place. In May, the authorities detained Amira Hass—an Israeli journalist with the Israeli daily Haaretz who had been reporting from Gaza for four months—for violating the ban on Israeli citizens visiting the territory.

Deliberate violence against or harassment of journalists is rare in Israel, but it does occur, with the principal targets being Arab (both local and foreign) journalists. In February 2009, the Israeli navy confiscated the film and equipment of two Al-Jazeera journalists aboard a ship that was trying to break Israel’s naval blockade of the Gaza Strip. The journalists claimed that the navy fired on the vessel and detained them using excessive force, but naval officials denied these charges. A number of journalists were attacked by Israeli security forces in Jerusalem in October, and one was reportedly injured by a stone-throwing Palestinian youth. The GPO has been known to impose obstacles, especially in airport security checks, for foreign journalists who are suspected of an anti-Israel political orientation. In August 2009, Golan Heights–based journalist Atta Farahat’s appeal for a commuted sentence was denied. Farahat, who wrote for the Syrian newspaper Al-Watan, is serving a three-year prison sentence for “communicating with a hostile country.”

Israelis are active news consumers. Mainstream Hebrew newspapers garner an estimated one million daily readers, out of a population of approximately seven million. The pluralistic makeup of Israeli society is reflected in the vibrant press landscape, which includes 12 daily newspapers. Three of those are mainstream Hebrew outlets, one has a national-religious outlook, three are aimed at ultra-Orthodox readers, one focuses on the Arab population, one is printed in English, and another is in Russian. In addition, there are two daily newspapers that are distributed free of charge. A wide range of weekly newspapers and internet news sites operate, and these are also divided along religious, ethnic, and language lines. The major newspapers are independent, and all newspapers are privately owned and provide a range of views. Some freely criticize government policies and aggressively pursue cases of official corruption.

A diverse selection of broadcast media is available, though ownership is concentrated. Most Israelis subscribe to cable or satellite services that provide access to international commercial stations. As a result, the dominance of the state-run Israel Broadcasting Authority (IBA) in the television market has declined significantly. The IBA’s radio station, Kol Israel, and the military-operated Galei Tsahal remain popular, while a diverse range of pirate radio stations also operate, serving the country’s ultra-Orthodox, Russian-speaking, and Arabic-speaking communities in particular. Israel has the region’s highest rate of internet usage, at nearly 52 percent, and the government generally does not restrict internet access.

This rating and report reflect the state of press freedom within Israel proper. The West Bank and Gaza Strip are covered in a separate report.

more attacks and flamebaiting ! wow

what did knight do to deserve this dekker

syrian news signmature

facts as they actually happened

and events as they actually occure

:wub:

The Syrian State news SANA is a mouthpiece of the Baath party.

they are only goin to say whatever assad wants them to.

My link

that shows how the baathists control syrian state media...hmmm...now what about israel?!

let's see what freedom house have to say about that (and before you start off on another anti-semitic tangent by claiming freedom house to be some sort of zionist mouthpiece may i jusy say that f/h are extremely critical of israeli actions in regards of the palestinians) anyway here's it's assessment of the israeli media:

So should I take it that you did not bother listening to the syrian state news since you have already made up your mind that

they are only goin to say whatever assad wants them to.You rather listen to israeli news since it matches your point of view and trash whatever the arab channels have to say? Not very biased are you? :no:

more attacks and flamebaiting ! wow

what did knight do to deserve this dekker

syrian news signmature

facts as they actually happened

and events as they actually occure

:wub:

no comment on the farsi speaking security men?

no comment on reports of hezbollah?

no comment on the freedom of the Syrian state news agency and the lies they tell?

no?

just an accusation of 'flamebaiting' when your lies and untruths are pointed at...like many of those who come from totalitarian countries you simply don't know how to debate because you're so unused to anyone actually disagreeing with you.

So should I take it that you did not bother listening to the syrian state news since you have already made up your mind that

they are only goin to say whatever assad wants them to.You rather listen to israeli news since it matches your point of view and trash whatever the arab channels have to say? Not very biased are you? :no:

woah there lucifer! a few points if i may:

So should I take it that you did not bother listening to the syrian state news since you have already made up your mind that they are only goin to say whatever assad wants them to

do you disagree that that is the case? look on SANA's website...there are about 4 topics that relate to the revolution...and then only in a tangenital sense. but i ask you - do you think SANA is trustworthy?

You rather listen to israeli news since it matches your point of view

not at all. i watch ALL news sources...i'm addicted to it.

trash whatever the arab channels have to say?

where have i trashed any Arab channels? i have stated a fact in that the state-controlled....actually that's not really accurate - the BAATHIST controlled SANA cannot be trusted...i have trashed no other Arab channels.

shall we see what Al-Jazeera have to say about Syria?

Syrian protesters dispersed after clashes

Crackdown follows unrest in which protesters demanding an end to emergency law have been killed by security forces.

Syrian security forces have fired tear gas and live ammunition into the air to disperse hundreds of protesters in Daraa calling for an end to emergency laws, witnesses said.

The firing went on for several minutes on Monday, but the protesters - scores of whom have been killed in the ongoing protests - returned when the security forces stopped, the witnesses said.

The demonstrators had converged on a main square in Daraa chanting: "We want dignity and freedom" and "No to emergency laws", the witness added.

Security forces have reduced their presence in recent days in the poor, mostly Sunni city, but residents said on Monday they had returned in strength to demand the scrapping of emergency law, which was imposed when the Baath party took power in a 1963 coup.

The protesters are also demanding the release of thousands of political prisoners and want Bashar al-Assad, the president, to allow freedom of speech and assembly and curb the free reign the security apparatus enjoys in the country of 22 million.

"[They] are pointing their machine guns at any gatherings of people in the area near the mosque," said a trader, referring to the Omari Mosque which has been a focal point of demonstrations in the city.

oh!! so they agree with the western media in their take on the syrian situation!!

here is Al-Jazeera's special section on the revolution in Syria...strange how they corroborate nothing being peddled by SANA...

My link

now....another arab channel?

how about al-arabiya? whats their take on things....do they agree with the western media?? or with baathist controlled SANA?

Tens of thousands of Syrians took to the streets across the country Friday in the most widespread civil unrest in years, defying crowds of government backers and baton-wielding security forces to shout their support of an uprising in the southern city of Deraa, according to witnesses, activists and footage posted online.

oh!! they too agree with the western media!

My link

i'm shocked!! who would ever have thought that the last bastion of truth in the world would be the syrian state media agency controlled by baathists!!

wow.

<blank stare>

woah there lucifer! a few points if i may:

do you disagree that that is the case? look on SANA's website...there are about 4 topics that relate to the revolution...and then only in a tangenital sense. but i ask you - do you think SANA is trustworthy?

not at all. i watch ALL news sources...i'm addicted to it.

where have i trashed any Arab channels? i have stated a fact in that the state-controlled....actually that's not really accurate - the BAATHIST controlled SANA cannot be trusted...i have trashed no other Arab channels.

shall we see what Al-Jazeera have to say about Syria?

oh!! so they agree with the western media in their take on the syrian situation!!

here is Al-Jazeera's special section on the revolution in Syria...strange how they corroborate nothing being peddled by SANA...

My link

now....another arab channel?

how about al-arabiya? whats their take on things....do they agree with the western media?? or with baathist controlled SANA?

oh!! they too agree with the western media!

My link

i'm shocked!! who would ever have thought that the last bastion of truth in the world would be the syrian state media agency controlled by baathists!!

wow.

<blank stare>

Hardly surprising as Al Jazeera is owned by the Qatar media corporation and Al arabiya is partly owned by the MBE. Do you really think they are going to give you an un-biased report about what is really happening? Or are you going to ignore them too if they do and claim that they are baathist as well? :P

Hardly surprising as Al Jazeera is owned by the Qatar media corporation and Al arabiya is partly owned by the MBE. Do you really think they are going to give you an un-biased report about what is really happening? Or are you going to ignore them too if they do and claim that they are baathist as well? :P

you said i trashed arab media!

i proved i don't.

NOW you say 'well they're biased too'...

so show me a single report from any independent news source (ie not state controlled) that corroborates a single thing that SANA are saying...

lucifer - as a westerner who enjoys freedom it's quite sickening that you refuse to support others around the world simply desiring the same freedoms that you take for granted.

hahahahaha tried to tell him that

they didn't EVEN mention the march is going on today

which i will show .. but later as a gift :D

hahahahaha tried to tell him that

which i will show .. but later as a gift :D

Yeah well Dekker gets a little too emotional when he talks about democracy and freedom I guess since he cant stand the fact that the people in the Middle east are caged and gagged and oppressed according to him.hahaha.

now just why wouldn't they mention the march?

let's cut to the chase...i'm a little bored now.

@ lucifer - your argument is that ALL western media outlets are involved in a grand conspiracy to prevent the 'truth' about syria from getting to the outside world and that the only reliable news source right is SANA....is that correct?

Yeah well Dekker gets a little too emotional when he talks about democracy and freedom I guess since he cant stand the fact that the people in the Middle east are caged and gagged and oppressed according to him.hahaha.

according to me and the millions of ordinary people marching against such oppression across the middle east....

this is too funny.

you said i trashed arab media!

i proved i don't.

NOW you say 'well they're biased too'...

so show me a single report from any independent news source (ie not state controlled) that corroborates a single thing that SANA are saying...

lucifer - as a westerner who enjoys freedom it's quite sickening that you refuse to support others around the world simply desiring the same freedoms that you take for granted.

You can hardly call it Arab media when they are backed by pro western and pro democratic sources can you? Its hardly worth my time showing you anything when you just wont accept it.I dont really know what perception you have for the people of the middle east.You seem to think they live in caves or something.Forcing democracy on someone is not really democracy is it? As far I can tell,you know squat about how the people in the Middle east live. :lol:

You can hardly call it Arab media when they are backed by pro western and pro democratic sources can you?

so 'pro-democratic' is anti-arab then?

Its hardly worth my time showing you anything when you just wont accept it.

post it.....show me an independent source verifying this 'huge' march that KoS is banging on about..

I dont really know what perception you have for the people of the middle east.

this isn't about my perception...it's about the reporting of facts.

You seem to think they live in caves or something.

what have i said anywhere which indicates that?

forcing democracy on someone is not really democracy is it?

who is 'forcing' anything on anybody?? there has been a massive uprising across the arab world in FAVOUR of some system of democracy where people can have a say in their countries future....

As far I can tell,you know squat about how the people in the Middle east live.

you're either incredibly naive and gullible...or you're being deliberatly disingenous for more sinister reasons.

Dekker, Farsi is modern Perisan. So if it was Hezbollah, they'd be able to understand them. Secondly, Iran needs Syria for its strategic location and the fact that the government is Iran's only real ally in the ME. Any threats to the Syrian government would be seen as a threat to their plans for the region.

Thirdly, I rather go on what Al Jazeera says than anything which comes out of Syria. Syrian media is just too controlled to be unbiased and reliable. And Al Jazeera has a reputation of being an unbiased and reliable news source. Hell, even Knight himself used an Al Jazeera video in another thread. People can easily claim bias if they don't agree with the content and I think it would take a bit more understanding from you lucifer to see that.

sorry i have to agree a little with the arabs here, there will be no democracy in the arab countries of the middle east. they will only exchange one dictator for another, in the current state seems that that will be the muslim brotherhood. they are anti-isreal. so in syria nothing will realy change.

i have been wondering how egypt, which has been friendly with isreal, would change its mind and attack isreal. now i guess we know.

Edited by danielost

many syrians people speak farsi aka iran language

due to major tourism flowing from iran to syria

eiather for making some religious ceremony

or simply sightseeing .. the people who have shops or works in shops

or live in near where the iranians make their religious Ceremony

" Damascus - Alamara "

would surely speak iran language ..

just clearing some points .. we have people who speaks up for 5 languages

speaking english doesn't make me american does it ?

aljazera is the less news channel that influnced

so it makes it the most honest hippocrates news

sometimes they're forced to say the truth when it's so clear

so they don't lose their credibility in the media world

same goes for other media channels