Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Perfectly preserved brain of Iron Age man

Still Waters

Archaeologists believe they have discovered one of the world's oldest brains that once belonged to a man in Iron Age Britain who was sacrificed in a ritual killing.

Scientists found the cranium in a muddy pit when they were excavating a site before a new campus was to be built at the University of York. When a researcher reached inside the skull, she was stunned to discover the soft tissue of the 2,500-year-old brain still preserved.

Fractures and marks on the bones suggest the man, who was aged between 26 and 45, died most probably from hanging, after which he was carefully decapitated and his head was then buried on its own.

Scientists have been baffled by how the brain tissue - which usually rots after a couple at years - managed to remain intact for so long.

'The survival of brain remains where no other soft tissues are preserved is extremely rare,' said Sonia O'Connor, research fellow in archaeological sciences at the University of Bradford.

'This brain is particularly exciting because it is very well preserved, even though it is the oldest recorded find of this type in the UK, and one of the earliest worldwide.'

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Persia

• UFO_Monster

• Ealdwita

• d e v i c e

Thats cool , interesting that it survived for so long without decomposing ?

TiP

Interesting discovery. If they like, they can transplant that brain into my skull and transform me into a 'bronze age man'. I'd like that.

Edited by Evilution13

No mystery there. He's probably drank as much alcohol as I have in my lifetime and the brain tissue is pickled. (Like mine!)

Wow, it still looks wet. When I read the headline I was assuming that it would be dessicated and ready to crumble but it really does appear to fresh.

Very interesting that they now have the DNA of one of the pre-Celtic inhabitants of Britain, and that it's related to the original Etruscans and other people in the Middle East.

That is just plain freaky. Hope they find out how it happened.

The world gets smaller every day. :lol:

Personaly, I think it's crap.

And why would you think that?

Interesting word choice. Interesting that "Pickled" and "Tofu-like" are used to describe a brain. Describing a brain as food...

What if a Zombie wrote the article?!