Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you ever intentionally physically hurt

Mistydawn

My questions:

Have you ever in your life-time, physically hurt another human being?

If so, how did it make you feel when you did it?

How does it make you feel now, when you remember?

If you are have religous beliefs, can you ever forgive yourself?

If you do not have religious beliefs, do you forgive yourself?

Do you think your inner pysche can survive if you do it again to the same or another person?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistydawn

• glyndowers heir

• S2F

• ShadowSot

Yes, I have physically hurt people.

All of the altercations I have had with people were either stupid or self defense. In the case where it was stupid, I felt stupid. In the cases where I was defending myself, I felt glad to have won.

It doesn't make me feel anything now.

I have forgiven myself.

It depends greatly on the circumstances of the altercation. I have been in fights and have physically confronted people in order to defend myself or others. That being the case, while it sucks to have to hurt someone, if it's you or someone you love in risk of great bodily harm, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

If we're talking about some form of domestic abuse, that is an entirely different issue.

Yes, many times. Although, very few of them were done with ill intent, and almost none were serious.

Well, when rough housing with friends, I was either indifferent, or slightly amused, at the good blow, I managed to get across. Although, it should be noted that I was hesitant, when sparring friends.

On the other hand, when I hurt someone by accident, or in malice, than I usually felt somewhat scared, and maybe ashamed.

Indifferent, maybe relieved. No grudges come to mind, and I never seriously hurt someone.

Yes, I think I would be able to.

I would think I wouldn't care.

Do you think your inner pysche can survive if you do it again to the same or another person?

It depends on who it was. As I said earlier, I have never seriously hurt anyone, with malice as the driving force. However, if an axe murderer was invading my home, I don't feel as if I would have any trouble putting a few bullets through his chest. To me, that seems like doing society a favor.

Yes, I have hurt people, and every time they have deserved it. When I did it, I usually felt a bloodrush and it felt good.

Now, when I remember it, I still feel they all deserved what I did to them, and I don't feel any regret/guilt.

I am agnostic, but I do forgive myself. Based on my beliefs, it was justified. So, I forgive myself for what I believe needed to be done.

Edit to add: Yes, I believe my inner "pysche" will survive another encounter where I feel I need to take it to physical harm.

Edited by AliveInDeath

Yes, I have physically hurt people.

All of the altercations I have had with people were either stupid or self defense. In the case where it was stupid, I felt stupid. In the cases where I was defending myself, I felt glad to have won.

It doesn't make me feel anything now.

I have forgiven myself.

It depends greatly on the circumstances of the altercation. I have been in fights and have physically confronted people in order to defend myself or others. That being the case, while it sucks to have to hurt someone, if it's you or someone you love in risk of great bodily harm, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

If we're talking about some form of domestic abuse, that is an entirely different issue.

Thank you for your frank and direct response Paul. I guess for the intentions of this thread, it matters little if it's domestic or other, but just the passion that is felt beyond the action. Whether or not we feel great remorse or not., knowing that we intentionally hurt another being, is it possible to forgive oneself. I hadn't really considered the implications of hurting others to defend others... yet another aspect, but at the same time still relevant. If hurting another intentionally, is something one can excuse, forgive, or whatever.

Yup I have and was said most times it was pretty stupid. I have had my butt handed to me and I have handed out butt whoopins. It's been sometime and really hope to never be in another altercation that involves violence. I'm far more scared of getting hurt in my old age.

Yes, many times. Although, very few of them were done with ill intent, and almost none were serious.

Well, when rough housing with friends, I was either indifferent, or slightly amused, at the good blow, I managed to get across. Although, it should be noted that I was hesitant, when sparring friends.

On the other hand, when I hurt someone by accident, or in malice, than I usually felt somewhat scared, and maybe ashamed.

Indifferent, maybe relieved. No grudges come to mind, and I never seriously hurt someone.

Yes, I think I would be able to.

I would think I wouldn't care.

It depends on who it was. As I said earlier, I have never seriously hurt anyone, with malice as the driving force. However, if an axe murderer was invading my home, I don't feel as if I would have any trouble putting a few bullets through his chest. To me, that seems like doing society a favor.

Thank you Redshirt.. I am going to take from your post that you have never really intentionally tried to hurt another with malice "aforethought" but that you consider it an action that is acceptable under some circumstances.

My questions:

Yes, unfortunately i did. When i was young and dumb and totally stupid. Caught up in soccer hooliganism in Europe.

Back then it made me feel good. Now it makes me feel sad and regretfull.

I did forgive my self and i would never do it again. I am a better person now. And old, grey and wiser lol

name='Mistydawn' timestamp='1301430176' post='3840498']

My questions:

When Else would I have done it Misty? :unsure2::lol:

the answer is yes, as part of my military duties

at the time just damn grateful that I survived.

Sad that it had to happen and angry at the people who caused it to happen, but still glad that I survived

I have no religion, I feel that organised religions played a part of the process that led to it happening

I have no need to forgive myself, if circumstances were different the other guys would have done the same as me

see above

It won't have to, it WILL NEVER happen again before I die.

Yes, I have hurt people, and every time they have deserved it. When I did it, I usually felt a bloodrush and it felt good.

Now, when I remember it, I still feel they all deserved what I did to them, and I don't feel any regret/guilt.

I am agnostic, but I do forgive myself. Based on my beliefs, it was justified. So, I forgive myself for what I believe needed to be done.

Edit to add: Yes, I believe my inner "pysche" will survive another encounter where I feel I need to take it to physical harm.

Thanks Alive.. for your response. I hope you don't mind me asking if you would mind relating the story behind why you did it? If you don't want to share, that's fine, I appreciate your response as it stands.

Yup I have and was said most times it was pretty stupid. I have had my butt handed to me and I have handed out butt whoopins. It's been sometime and really hope to never be in another altercation that involves violence. I'm far more scared of getting hurt in my old age.

Thongy, unless you get Dementia, you'll never be old!!! Anyhow, I wasn't really referring to bar-room brawls, but more the personal type stuff... like in realtionships with partners, or friendships gone wrong... anyhooo, you hang in there! Call on me if you need someone to hold your coat!!:blink:

When Else would I have done it Misty? :unsure2::lol:

the answer is yes, as part of my military duties

at the time just damn grateful that I survived.

Sad that it had to happen and angry at the people who caused it to happen, but still glad that I survived

I have no religion, I feel that organised religions played a part of the process that led to it happening

I have no need to forgive myself, if circumstances were different the other guys would have done the same as me

see above

It won't have to, it WILL NEVER happen again before I die.

Ack bless! You sound like "altercations" are not your forte!! You know, you remind me of someone.... in the rain, never seen again...

Thanks Alive.. for your response. I hope you don't mind me asking if you would mind relating the story behind why you did it? If you don't want to share, that's fine, I appreciate your response as it stands.

There are quite a few. One was a few years ago. I had an admirer/stalker or whatever you want to call it. We worked together and he kept touching me in unnecessary places even when I kept asking him to stop. One day, it got to be enough, so I shoved the palm of my hand at his nose and broke it.

Quite a few times playing sports and a few times in fights, I suppose. In my youth I had a bit of a temper.

But in relationships/friendships - only once can I remember intentionally hurting someone. I was very young - about 12 - and a guy I was friends with was being extremely annoying. I lost my temper and punched him on the nose. I didn't feel bad at the time, but I did feel bad after I'd cooled off.

I regret the times I hurt people, but I have forgiven myself those times because I know I cannot undo what has been done. At the risk of sounding callous, you have to let go of bad feelings and move on, hopefully learning from the mistakes.

There are quite a few. One was a few years ago. I had an admirer/stalker or whatever you want to call it. We worked together and he kept touching me in unnecessary places even when I kept asking him to stop. One day, it got to be enough, so I shoved the palm of my hand at his nose and broke it.

Well gee, that to me, is ..... JUSTICE!

Do you think it changed you internally though? Like, altered your inner persona?

Quite a few times playing sports and a few times in fights, I suppose. In my youth I had a bit of a temper.

But in relationships/friendships - only once can I remember intentionally hurting someone. I was very young - about 12 - and a guy I was friends with was being extremely annoying. I lost my temper and punched him on the nose. I didn't feel bad at the time, but I did feel bad after I'd cooled off.

I regret the times I hurt people, but I have forgiven myself those times because I know I cannot undo what has been done. At the risk of sounding callous, you have to let go of bad feelings and move on, hopefully learning from the mistakes.

Thanks for the response Leonardo. Can I ask you though, does it scare you that you have this ability in you, that you have done it once and therefore could do it again?

Ack bless! You sound like "altercations" are not your forte!! You know, you remind me of someone.... in the rain, never seen again...

No Misty - Some altercations are justified and necessary however unpleasant and distateful people may find them!

But you will find that some of the worlds best warriors are also the worlds biggest pacifists

because they know the true meaning of the horror and senselessness of war

but thank you for your touching sentiment. :yes:

Edited by glyndowers heir

Yes, often. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes on accident.

On accident? Horrible. On purpose... not so good then either.

Slimy.

Don't have any.

For some of it, yeah.

I have a bad temper, and that's not something I can ever forgive myself, though luckily I've never lost it on a person who... well, didn't deserve it.

Occasionally I've hurt people just 'cause I'm stronger than I think I am, or they're weaker than I thought they were, or something in bbetween. I can never forgive myself for that.

When it comes to fighting or hurting folks, I hold myself very strictly to a very corny line:

For self defense, or the defense of others.

When I hold to it, I find some manner of pride, when I fail it, I about fall apart.

I'm sorry but that's awesome. Good job. :tu:

I haven't been in a physical altercation since I was about 12-13 years old. This happened when I was in school.

I never started any fights - just tried to defend myself.

Hasn't been a reason to get into fights as an adult. If I sense trouble, I'm out the door. But I do keep weapons at home to protect myself.

Have I ever intentionally physically hurt somebody? No. I was never put into that position where I had to actually physically hurt somebody. To be honest, I was never in a real fight with anybody other than my brothers in my life, to be honest. I just never saw the point. I either walked away or waited for them to throw the first punch, which never happened.

No Misty - Some altercations are justified and necessary however unpleasant and distateful people may find them!

But you will find that some of the worlds best warriors are also the worlds biggest pacifists

because they know the true meaning of the horror and senselessness of war

but thank you for your touching sentiment. :yes:

"Altercations" now that is something on its own stage. What about no stage, what about so-called "normal" every day life?

Yes, often. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes on accident.

On accident? Horrible. On purpose... not so good then either.

Slimy.

Don't have any.

For some of it, yeah.

I have a bad temper, and that's not something I can ever forgive myself, though luckily I've never lost it on a person who... well, didn't deserve it.

Occasionally I've hurt people just 'cause I'm stronger than I think I am, or they're weaker than I thought they were, or something in bbetween. I can never forgive myself for that.

When it comes to fighting or hurting folks, I hold myself very strictly to a very corny line:

For self defense, or the defense of others.

When I hold to it, I find some manner of pride, when I fail it, I about fall apart.

Those you say "deserved it" then Shadow, do you have no regrets at all?

I haven't been in a physical altercation since I was about 12-13 years old. This happened when I was in school.

I never started any fights - just tried to defend myself.

Hasn't been a reason to get into fights as an adult. If I sense trouble, I'm out the door. But I do keep weapons at home to protect myself.

Little_dreamer, I understand your speaking about "retaliation." What I am after though, is when you yourself have instigated the proceedings....

Hey Misty. I don't know if this fits in with your intent of discussion or not but I have hurt people before. The most memorable (and recent) time was when I punched my brother right in the mouth and knocked him to the ground. It wasn't out of malice although anger did play a role and it wasn't premeditated or anything. He was drunk and we got in to an argument about personal matters, I should have been a little more patient with him however he threatened to 'beat up' my wife at the time (yeah, that drunk). I physically stopped him from approaching my wife, the argument got more heated because now I was angry too, next thing you know my brother punched me. When I punched him back it was more reactionary than anything else, like a reflex. I wouldn't exactly consider it self defense though as in his condition he was hardly a threat. I do remember at the time though that it made me feel almost sick to my stomach. I had never struck one of my brothers in anger before, at least not to that extent. After my brother cleaned himself up I was quick to apologize and let him know how terrible I felt. I still feel regret over it even though my brother and I are on good terms. Any time I hurt someone physically I always think it could have been handled differently. :hmm: