Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you REALLY think you're special?

Nadia B.

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think your "abilities" make you better than others?

• Yess!!!! I'm a total X-man ninja warrior! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    • Ummm... nooooo.... Duh
    • I don't want to talk about it, because it's just a pain in the butt
    • My mom says I'm special, so it MUST be true!

So, I mentioned this in another thread but wanted to know the answer, and perhaps discuss this a bit. Thus, we have a new poll. :lol:

I can't even tell you how many times in the past few days alone I've read things like...

• "She's claiming to have this ability because she wants to feel special"
  • "People only believe they can do these things because they want to be special"
  • "No matter what you think, you're not special"

Etc.

Now, maybe it's just me, but it's fairly rare that I see people promoting themselves as any better than anyone else. Maybe I'm missing something here. In my opinion, everyone is special. :D Not going to go into a cheesefest here, but think about it. EVERYONE has SOMETHING they do well or have something about them that makes them exceptional. It doesn't have to be any sort of unexplainable supernatural ability. So what's the big deal? In my experience, typically people that have certain abilities tend to view them more as aggravation than anything. A good lot of them anyway.

SO, you guys and gals and psibabies alike, DO you really think you're better than others?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bendy Demon

• Nadia B.

• booNyzarC

• Bracket

Top Posters In This Topic

EVERYONE has SOMETHING they do well or have something about them that makes them exceptional.

I don't.

SO, you guys and gals and psibabies alike, DO you really think you're better than others?

Of course not.

But, technically, if we're all special, doesn't that make us not special? :huh:

But, technically, if we're all special, doesn't that make us not special? :huh:

as my mother was fond of saying, you're unique, just like everyone else.

I don't think I am better than anybody because we're all human.

That's a glass half empty point of view, Bracket. :lol: Seriously, everyone has something exceptional about them. I would think it would be more abnormal to tell people there's nothing special about you at all. J's comment pretty much hits it, to me.

I would think it would be more abnormal to tell people there's nothing special about you at all.

It's called being honest.

I would stay away from people who tell me they are "special" because quite honestly it is being arrogant and narcissistic to assume you are special.

Why is there no option for 'I think I'm better than deluded people'? :lol:

It's called being honest.

I would stay away from people who tell me they are "special" because quite honestly it is being arrogant and narcissistic to assume you are special.

You don't think everyone is special, Ryu? Or are you referring to those that seem to brag about their abilities?

Why is there no option for 'I think I'm better than deluded people'? :lol:

LOL, maybe I shoulda started a suggestion thread first. :P

You don't think everyone is special, Ryu? Or are you referring to those that seem to brag about their abilities?

Both.

That's a glass half empty point of view, Bracket. :lol: Seriously, everyone has something exceptional about them. I would think it would be more abnormal to tell people there's nothing special about you at all. J's comment pretty much hits it, to me.

It makes sense when you think about it though. If everyone else is special, what makes me special? If you were the most boring, mundane, person with no discernable qualities, then you have something. :tu:

So, you really don't believe everyone can do SOMETHING (not talking all supernatural here either), or that the fact they can doesn't make them special?

EDIT: Sorry, that was to Ryu, lol.

Edited by Nadia B.

It makes sense when you think about it though. If everyone else is special, what makes me special? If you were the most boring, mundane, person with no discernable qualities, then you have something. :tu:

Well, because you may be able to do something that most others can't. Hell, even if it's just drawing with your toes or something. :lol:

So, you really don't believe everyone can do SOMETHING (not talking all supernatural here either), or that the fact they can doesn't make them special?

Not really.

Not really.

:( That almost makes me sad. Ryu, you have no gifts at all? Think hard! Perhaps you can stick a full double cheeseburger in your mouth or something? Anything?

:( That almost makes me sad.

Why should it?

Ryu, you have no gifts at all? Think hard! Perhaps you can stick a full double cheeseburger in your mouth or something? Anything?

.....No.

Occasionally I will have a hunch that turns out to be correct. But this only happens about once every few years.

So I'm an inferior psychic. I answered "No" for the survey.

.....No.

You're the only "Ryu" on these boards.

You're the only "Ryu" on these boards.

Meaningless really.

" we are all winners in the Special Olympics "

Meaning " we are all special " :)

Edited by Sakari

It gets down to what you understand "special" to mean, I think. I have met people that were especially obnoxious, others especially polite, etc. It is just a matter of categorization in that sense. Used as an adjective to boost your own, or your children's ego though, is especially irritating to most people. And essentially anti-social. Special K is pretty damned unpalatable too, IMO. :rolleyes:

Meaningless really.

Your appearance is unique.

Your appearance is unique.

My image is simply from a game..

Seriously I think you are grasping at straws trying to get me to concede to something that I sincerely don't think is valid.

You are kind but I am simply being honest.

Thanks.

Edited by Ryu

My image is simply from a game..

Seriously I think you are grasping at straws trying to get me to concede to something that I sincerely don't think is valid.

You are kind but I am simply being honest.

Thanks.

PHYSICAL appearance, not your avatar. Am I really a giant turtle with a shell resembling a flying saucer? :lol: