Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French Boat Attacked By Giant Squid

UM-Bot

French sailors taking part in the round-the-world Jules Verne Trophy say they have come across one of the most elusive monsters of the sea - the giant squid. Veteran yachtsman Olivier De Kersauson - who sailed from Brittany on Saturday - said that several hours into his voyage he found that a giant squid had clamped onto the hull of his boat.

The creature - scientifically known as Architeutis dux - is the largest of all invertebrates.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• MedicTJ

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now THAT'S pretty scary.

I always get suckered into watching the Discovery Channel specials on the creature....hoping beyond hope they they've finally gotten a glimpse of it...only to come away as disappointed as those looking for it.

Kind of shows you how big our oceans really are. Here is this huge monster that has been recorded throughout most or all of medieval to recent history, yet it's still never been filmed alive. (not entirely true...some "guppy" size specimens have been captured...but don't survive long in captivity)

I'm not certain I believe the reports of "Nessie", but something like this DOES make you think a little bit.

Makes you wonder what else there is in the oceans that hasn't been discovered yet.

One marine biologist some time ago remarked that he believed only 25% of the world's oceanic creatures had been discovered and identified.

There's a whole lot of world out there to explore and I find it utterly amazing that we know more about the surface of the moon than we do about the depths of the very planet we occupy.