Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What does astral travel feel like?

in-the-clouds

I'm just wondering what astral travel feels like. Are there physical sensations and/or noises?

Can you astral travel without trying? I know that some people intentionally try to or actually do astral travel. But can you go to the astral plane without purposely getting there like when you are dreaming?

Does the astral plane look a certain way for all? Or is it different for each person? If it is different, is the astral plane based on one's imagination?

I guess the only way to know if it is different or the same is to hear some descriptions from some of you that have been on the astral plane.

I would like to hear from serious posters who honestly believe they have successfully astral traveled.

Itchy. I remember trying this a couple of times. And I got itchy. So I never really tried it again. Don't know what caused my whole body to break out in itchiness, no hives or red bumps just blah. It lasted like 5 min then vanished as quick as it came but it was hell for those five minutes.

Yes, loud rushing and/or buzzing noises just befor exit. Other peole describe everything from popping noises to whispers to their name being called. Usually when done on purpose the roring/rushing/buzzing/wooshing/ noises are common. It's like standing next to a powerful waterfall or next to a jet engine.

Another exit sympom is vibrations. It feels like a mild non painful shock. Sometimes starting in one part of your body then moveing to a all of it. It's not a physical thing it is a sensation that is usuall very powerful.

Yes everyone spontaniously projects.

There several duffeent types of places realtime, other places, inside someone or something else. Realtime looks exactly like it does here with one exception. There is an inturpretation problem. It's not really your eyes seeing things, it's your awareness. It dosn't always get things right.

Imangination s usefull, but places have their own construct that your mind is trying to inturpret. Imagination is used for creating tools.

Hope that satisfies you, if you go to astral projection my technique thread and read over various postings there mostf your questions will probably be answered.

To me, astral projection feels like my eyes are open and i'm looking around. Except everything around me is different and my eyes are definately not open. It feels as if im in my room or whereever Im Astral Projecting from. Also while im Astral projecting I can levitate to the sky just by concentrating and then I hear this weird buzzing sound while im Flying in the air. The weirdest experience ive had was when I started levitating and flew to this one place in the woods. There were talking animals and they led me to a pool. Around the pool, there were many people. The talking animal said that in order to go to heaven you must float to the middle of the pool on a platform. They way you did this was how i did it before by just concentrating. For some reason i remember i couldn't do it and kept falling in the water it was a crazy ass dream haha. Also you feel as if your seeing everything in your eyelids. The way I start to astral project is to just imagine my surroundings while my eyes are closed and as if im seeing them while my eyes are open. Usually i Start seeing things with my eyes closed then i proceed to get off my bed and off i go its weird took me a couple of tries.

To me, astral projection feels like my eyes are open and i'm looking around. Except everything around me is different and my eyes are definately not open. It feels as if im in my room or whereever Im Astral Projecting from. Also while im Astral projecting I can levitate to the sky just by concentrating and then I hear this weird buzzing sound while im Flying in the air. The weirdest experience ive had was when I started levitating and flew to this one place in the woods. There were talking animals and they led me to a pool. Around the pool, there were many people. The talking animal said that in order to go to heaven you must float to the middle of the pool on a platform. They way you did this was how i did it before by just concentrating. For some reason i remember i couldn't do it and kept falling in the water it was a crazy ass dream haha. Also you feel as if your seeing everything in your eyelids. The way I start to astral project is to just imagine my surroundings while my eyes are closed and as if im seeing them while my eyes are open. Usually i Start seeing things with my eyes closed then i proceed to get off my bed and off i go its weird took me a couple of tries.

Cool. I always like hearing about peoples journies. If you want to be in the presence of the light. Float straight up into the sky lay back, and feel your body turning to into light particles. Then say as loud as you can. Take me to the light! Extacy like feelings will flood through you and you willl melt upwards and join the light. In the next moment, you will know everything there is to know and how it all works together. Then you will be seprate again, and you will remember the feeling and you will know that you knew, but will have forgotton the details. The memory of the experience will remaine and you will be disapointed that you had to leave. I only do it when I need a reminder of the great dpirit. Usually if something depresses me. If you can project try it. Your guide may have been pointing you in this direction.

Itchy. I remember trying this a couple of times. And I got itchy. So I never really tried it again. Don't know what caused my whole body to break out in itchiness, no hives or red bumps just blah. It lasted like 5 min then vanished as quick as it came but it was hell for those five minutes.

Dear remote viewer. I think you missed a good opportunity. From personal experience I can tell you that such phenomena are almost always preceded by itchiness, numbness, weird noises, even a temporary slow-down or suspension of breath.

I'm just wondering what astral travel feels like. Are there physical sensations and/or noises?

Can you astral travel without trying? I know that some people intentionally try to or actually do astral travel. But can you go to the astral plane without purposely getting there like when you are dreaming?

Does the astral plane look a certain way for all? Or is it different for each person? If it is different, is the astral plane based on one's imagination?

I guess the only way to know if it is different or the same is to hear some descriptions from some of you that have been on the astral plane.

I would like to hear from serious posters who honestly believe they have successfully astral traveled.

Some people describe it as a sinking feeling others say it's like being dizzy. I'm not entirely sure if its the same for everyone but for me it has been a violent jolt at times and sometimes just like a floating sensation but I've noticed that I don't necessarily "float" in any particular direction but rather into my own consciousness, then the mind's eye takes me to wherever. Almost like visualization but without the consciousness. Astral projection can be learnt, all you need to do is practice a lot of meditation. Hope this helps.

Edited by NaishaAmon

To me, astral projection feels like my eyes are open and i'm looking around. Except everything around me is different and my eyes are definately not open. It feels as if im in my room or whereever Im Astral Projecting from.

This is how it happens for me most of the time. It's like having my eyes open into another world, it was so strange the first times I actually had memory of it. It took me a little while to figure out exactly what was going on. I had a memory of people talking to me and walking around my room. I remember it like I was laying in bed looking at them, but I know I wasn't.

It's as if I close my eyes here and open them there. I can't explain the feeling, I know it's different as soon as I open my eyes. It's like I'm in my room but it's not the same. I know it's my room I can see it but there is like a sheet or something separating me from it. There is like this blue glow all around me almost foggy but it's not.

The weirdest experience ive had was when I started levitating and flew to this one place in the woods.

This has also happened to me. AP has always come naturally for me, when I began trying to do it at will I had trouble. One of the first times I succeeded I freaked out, I had this floating feeling like I was really light all of a sudden, it was like there was nothing to hold me down and I was just rising. I thought "OMG...I'm leaving my body, I did it... oh no!! I have to go back, but when I looked down at my body there was wilderness there, I was out over an open field. All I could see was grass and trees beneath me, right then I got shocked back in to my body, it was like if some one had shook me or like a falling dream. It was intense and freaky but such a tease.

• 7 months later...

Hallo,

I am newbie here but made my way to this discussion after experiencing what I thought to be an astral projection. I had it about an hour ago and am umclear if perhaps I was merely dreaming.

It was mid afternoon, I decided to take a nap, I had slept and then worken and was half dreaming half awake when my ears were filled with a loud buzzing/ringing not unlike tinitus but much louder, and it seemed to start a vibration and I could see my hand laying in front of me lift out of my actual hand. It felt a bit like I was on a trampoline, being bounced out, but instead of peace I was terrified. I thought, "This is an astral projection, here I go, I'm scared" so I forced myself back in but as I relaxed it would happen again, the noise, the vibration, the bounce, the fear. I'd say it happened 5 times and then I forced myself to wake properly.

Do these sensations acurrately describe what others feel? And has anyone seen their own hand raise like a pale shadow out of their physical hand?

FYI - I have been reading and thinkning about astral projections in the last fortnight or so whcih makes me think it was a trick of my mind or a waking dream.

If I did want to go further, any recommendations? I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to come back.

Yes, loud rushing and/or buzzing noises just befor exit. Other peole describe everything from popping noises to whispers to their name being called. Usually when done on purpose the roring/rushing/buzzing/wooshing/ noises are common. It's like standing next to a powerful waterfall or next to a jet engine.

Another exit sympom is vibrations. It feels like a mild non painful shock. Sometimes starting in one part of your body then moveing to a all of it. It's not a physical thing it is a sensation that is usuall very powerful.

Yes everyone spontaniously projects.

There several duffeent types of places realtime, other places, inside someone or something else. Realtime looks exactly like it does here with one exception. There is an inturpretation problem. It's not really your eyes seeing things, it's your awareness. It dosn't always get things right.

Imangination s usefull, but places have their own construct that your mind is trying to inturpret. Imagination is used for creating tools.

Hope that satisfies you, if you go to astral projection my technique thread and read over various postings there mostf your questions will probably be answered.

Edited by Viperatti
  • Like 1

Yeah go with it next time and it will be projection. You will always come back but the fear aspect is something you need to just eliminate. There is no threat just your fear of the unknown at work. Easiest way? just do it, don't think about it.

Yeah go with it next time and it will be projection. You will always come back but the fear aspect is something you need to just eliminate. There is no threat just your fear of the unknown at work. Easiest way? just do it, don't think about it.

Yup.... Relax. You have already done it many times while sleeping. You just don't remember. Now that you are becoming aware Let it happen and think about how wonderful and awe inspiring it is.

Adopt a go with the flow attitude, you can't be hurt.

Edited by Seeker79

Yup.... Relax. You have already done it many times while sleeping. You just don't remember. Now that you are becoming aware Let it happen and think about how wonderful and awe inspiring it is.

Adopt a go with the flow attitude, you can't be hurt.

Great! I will try and take the astral bull by the horns next time it happens.

I like the idea that we are all doing this already but without being conciously aware of it. What are we all getting up to I wonder? :)

I have had lucid dreams where I fly straight upwards, stare at the starry night sky above me, then back down to the city lights below and know that if I chose to I could just keep on going. The fear tends to set in at this point and I wake up. I'm always so jealous of the birds :blush: Thanks again!

Me for example before 3 nights I had a weird discussions while I was sleeping, dreaming with unknown persons about who am I. Then suddently I felt astral travel going in to space at unknown remarkable speed, I never felt going so fast faster than the others so they couldn't troubled me anymore. You don't know when it might happen. But sometimes happens for reasons we don't know yet. Maybe is an experience to achieve some kind of higher knowledge.

Great! I will try and take the astral bull by the horns next time it happens.

I like the idea that we are all doing this already but without being conciously aware of it. What are we all getting up to I wonder? :)

Probably not very much but just sleeping. I have seen where people "switched off" go while they are sleeping. It's like a sleeping zombie state where people just drift around unconsciously. Some act confused like they are a goldfish in a bowl. It's a just a very low level of consciousness.

Probably not very much but just sleeping. I have seen where people "switched off" go while they are sleeping. It's like a sleeping zombie state where people just drift around unconsciously. Some act confused like they are a goldfish in a bowl. It's a just a very low level of consciousness.

Or some times they walk around like sleep walkers.

most folks unconsciously astral project in their sleep. it's a natural occurrence, defined as unconscious and involuntary projection. if you are in a dream and controlling what happens by thought, chances are you are astral projecting and not dreaming.

once i involuntarily but consciously projected. it was the fourth of july about 30 years ago. me and some of my friends were glissading in the tundra behind breckenridge mountain. glissading is when you jump and turn on snowfields or rocky terrain as if you were skiing, but with hiking boots on. i got to the bottom of the snowfield and began to free climb up a steep rock face. the hand hold i was using to pull myself up to the next foot hold broke and i was free falling to my death toward a melted glacier field filled with boulders. suddenly i saw the top of my head and my body free falling. in that instant i also saw a tree growing in the rocks and as i free fell past the tree i grabbed onto the tree trunk, saving my own life. (this type of projection is typical if you are experiencing trauma like a sudden accident or very sick and in severe pain.)

the second projection experience was in a dream. i remember i was flying, then i became aware of a plateau, a forest and a white beach coastline. even though i had never been there, i knew i was flying over northern california. i landed in san francisco in the mission district. i had never been there, but i knew that's where i was. (a couple of years later when i was in in san francisco in the mission district i recognized the place of this occurrence). i remember it was light when i walked into a busy restaurant. I walked out of the restaurant through another door and found myself alone in a completely different and really spooky dreamscape. it was now night. i remember seeing deserted rundown shacks, rusted cars and other junk. trash, sand and tumble weed were blowing around. the road i was on was deserted. i knew this experience was more than a dream when i woke up.

i haven't had the opportunity to voluntarily, consciously project but i am diligently working on it. i have a frequent astral visitor :ph34r: and i want to see who it is. it makes its presence known through touch (it feels like a gentle electric current which has made me wonder if i have some neurological twitching disorder), heat and a tugging at my heart chakra through some chording that's occurred between us somewhere along the way. it communicates with me through telepathy. even though i'm third eye blind, every now and then i see a flick of light, a shadow movement or a wavy auric effect in my line of vision. i supposed i'm getting used to the lack of privacy. :blush:

from the reading i've been doing, the astral plane is composed of entities created through emotions, desires and thoughtforms--entities we create with our thoughts manifest in this arena. the lower astrals house evil and bizzare creations manifested through negative thoughts and emotions., ie hell. the upper astrals represent our desires of love, beauty and truth, ie heaven. so whatever we think or feel is recorded somewhere on the astral plane leadiing me to believe that it is extremely important to have control over our thoughts.

there are five planes accessible to the astral traveler. each plane has a specific metaphysical sound associated with it. the earth plane is thunder, the astral plane is the roar of the sea, the causal plane where the akashic records are held is the sound of tinkling bells, the mental plane, the place of intellectual functions, thoughts, philosophies, ethics and abstractions is characterized by the sound of running water, the etheric plane which houses truth and beauty is associated with the sound of buzzing bees and the soul plane where the masters and teachers reside is characterized by the sound of a single flute note. {T.M.I or what??? :sleepy:)

Well personally the whole projection progress goes like this. First there is a slight tingling accompanied with a melting/inflating like sensation( its as if my body was getting bigger while at the same time it was spreading out over the bed). Shortly after this I will begin to feel a vibration as if I am rocking side to side and slight ringing/whistling noise. As the vibration intensify I will suddenly feel a little light headed at which point 'pop' I am out. :innocent:

Once out you may find your peripheral vision a little fuzzy at first but it clears up over time. Traveling is quite interesting at first as you can move at any speed you can reasonably grasp the concept of. Instantaneous travel can really throw you for a bit of a loop if you not expecting it as merely thinking of destination can have you there in the blink of an eye (that's if you physically had eyes at this point ^_^ ). As to the geography of the Astral Plane that is a little more complicated as it in some ways is a reflection of the physical world strengthened by thoughts and emotions. It is a landscape where you will find all manner of myth manifested.

I find the whole thing quite fun and refreshing, so keep practicing and it will eventually get easier (although I do have the occasional periods of unsuccessful attempts :blush: )

It depends what you mean by astral travel. I travel a lot but i call it obeing rather than astral travel, because most of the places I travel to are either in the real world or in other real worlds. (those other worlds might have dragons, flying carpets, goblins, orcs intelligent animals ,or knights, or spaceships, or aliens, or exist in the past or the future; but they are physical worlds, not some form of astral plane)

For me, travel is an extension of controlled lucid dreaming. While dreaming i just think, "tonight i'd like to travel to the north pole(or to the centre of the galaxy) Then i project my conscious awareness (sometimes with a simulcra of my body and sometimes as an non coporeal consciousness.)

It is no differnt to the real world. I can feel the wind in my face, see, hear and feel everything i do in the real world. I can listen to real peole talking, read real signs in real places etc. I can travel from very slow(walking pace) to faster than the speed of light, depending on what i want to observe along the way. It requires a conscious expenditure of energy and initially that energy can be expended, but with training and practice, the stamina and endurance increases until you rarely even notice you are using energy .

i could as easily say , "tonight i'd like to fly a bi plane in the first world war, or travel back to be a knight in king arthurs court. Or go to a heavy gravity planet where the women have three huge breasts and some weird but wonderful sexaul techniques" and then go to those places . I can be a slave girl in an egyptian harem or a privateer in the american war of independence, depending on wha t i feel like. In those case i dont project my current consciousness I just become a new consciousness in anappropriate body. I have even been an artificial intelligence in a fast needle ship, which was interesting. While "there" I AM the character, feeling looking sounding like etc whoever iam at the time, . (This is interesting when I am in alien or a woman's body ) while always retaining awareness that this is a dream i have created and which i can direct.

My first memories of dreams from childhood ( a few years old) include learning to fly and separately learning to project my consciousness out of my body . I learned to fly by jumping over our front fence in an effort to explore our neighbourhood before i was allowed out of the yard, and just found, first i could glide, and then, slowly, fly .

I also used to push my consciousness out of body once i was asleep (and lucid dreaming) and float around the ceilings of my house. My parents would try and catch me, and finally do so as i came down through the low doorways in our house. They would put me to bed again, and then i would do it all over again. Over the years i explored our neighbourhood, state, and finally the world /universe, by just extending my range, and using natural portals to cover long distances.

After a few unfortunate experiences, i learned to keep my mouth shut about what i saw and observed, because often they were real events in the world around my house. For example, i got into big trouble by projecting across the road and hovering outside a young lady's slumber party and listening into their conversations. Trouble was, at the time i thought it was just a dream, and made the mistake of telling the girl in quetion about it. I had actually observed a real event, and heard real converstions, and she was understandably furious. She thought i had been physically spying through her window.

Luckily my parents could absolutely verify that, at that time of night, i was home asleep in bed, and couldn't have got out without going past them. It taught me, for many years, not to talk about what i saw in my dream travels. 40 years later I opened my mouth again, and got into trouble again.

Edited by Mr Walker

• 1 month later...

I pretty much only made an account here to reply to this post. While I'm interested in them, I don't really openly share my experiences with others. I'm the last person you'd expect to even know that astral projection is. I had to add them here though.

Ever since I was little, ever since I could even remember, I have gone to other places in my sleep. It was always different than a normal dream. I could alway tell the difference. It's something that's very hard to explain.

I astral project at random when I sleep, and now, at age 21 I still do it quite frequently. Each of my experiences have been slightly different. Each time I've left my physical body, it's felt different.

I've felt, for example, myself sort of going through my bed, or sinking. I've felt the sensation of floating upward out of my body (and actually falling back into it), and another instance that has always stuck with me is one that happened when I was really young. It started off as a lucid dream, and I ended up feeling myself accelerate out of my physical body. I remember, I didn't actually understand what was happening, and I thought I was going to hit the wall, but I kept going through it. Directly after, I felt or heard this whooshing and saw sort of a flash, and I was somewhere else.

In all of the experiences I've had, it's been much like a different form of our own reality. There are other people there, but they seem to just walk around like zombies without reacting. Te few times they have reacted towards me, I got a really bad feeling, truthfully. They almost never speak. They almost always just stare, or point you someplace. Many of the places I've been to seemed like pretty dark, eerie places in my opinion. I'm not sure others experiences are like this as well or not, but those are some of mine.

I might also add, I can't astral project on demand, but it seems to happen very frequently for me. At least every couple weeks.

I pretty much only made an account here to reply to this post. While I'm interested in them, I don't really openly share my experiences with others. I'm the last person you'd expect to even know that astral projection is. I had to add them here though.

Ever since I was little, ever since I could even remember, I have gone to other places in my sleep. It was always different than a normal dream. I could alway tell the difference. It's something that's very hard to explain.

I astral project at random when I sleep, and now, at age 21 I still do it quite frequently. Each of my experiences have been slightly different. Each time I've left my physical body, it's felt different.

I've felt, for example, myself sort of going through my bed, or sinking. I've felt the sensation of floating upward out of my body (and actually falling back into it), and another instance that has always stuck with me is one that happened when I was really young. It started off as a lucid dream, and I ended up feeling myself accelerate out of my physical body. I remember, I didn't actually understand what was happening, and I thought I was going to hit the wall, but I kept going through it. Directly after, I felt or heard this whooshing and saw sort of a flash, and I was somewhere else.

In all of the experiences I've had, it's been much like a different form of our own reality. There are other people there, but they seem to just walk around like zombies without reacting. Te few times they have reacted towards me, I got a really bad feeling, truthfully. They almost never speak. They almost always just stare, or point you someplace. Many of the places I've been to seemed like pretty dark, eerie places in my opinion. I'm not sure others experiences are like this as well or not, but those are some of mine.

I might also add, I can't astral project on demand, but it seems to happen very frequently for me. At least every couple weeks.

It dosnt have to be dark. You should take control of your altered states.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219629&pid=4160639&st=45entry4160639

I never Astral travelled, however, I do know that the experience differ from one person to another.

While a scared person might describe as Horrible, scary and Terrifying; another, more confident, will have a different point of view.

Yes, you do feel Vibrations, hear sounds and a couple of things before exiting; I felt them too! However, I'm trying to take things slow and stop everytime I feel like I've accomplished what I wanted. It's helping my Self-security to build and I am no longer having that fear I once had concerning Astral Travelling.

So, I would suggest you try for yourself. That way, you'll know how it feels for you.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

My first astral projection was short lived. I lifted my head over to look at my arm. I pulled my astral arm up and it was glowing and sparkling and I yelled "OH MY GOD"...*poof* I woke up.

• 4 months later...

I love to talk about these kinds of things and i need help with lucid dreaming/astral projection and things like that and I'm serous about this whole thing. I just joined this site..like 1 min ago.

i want to share stories of my experiences, how do you start a new thing like what do u do on here ?

I love to talk about these kinds of things and i need help with lucid dreaming/astral projection and things like that and I'm serous about this whole thing. I just joined this site..like 1 min ago.

i want to share stories of my experiences, how do you start a new thing like what do u do on here ?

Follow the link several posts up.