Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what would you ask a skeptic?

The Paranormal Skeptic

One reason why I love this forum is all the different views people have. There are a lot of skeptic vs. Believer posts and I just want to try a different approach to it. To the believers, what are some questions you'd like to ask the skeptics?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Crane Feather

• aquatus1

• ShadowofaDoubt

• sinewave

Well again, we're coming into the terminology of things. Do you mean skeptic or cynic?

Well again, we're coming into the terminology of things. Do you mean skeptic or cynic?

A skeptic, one who requires proof or strong evidence before belief.

Well, if we're talking about plain old open-minded skeptics, I'm not sure what I'd ask. I tend to dance precariously on the line, I suppose. I believe in some things because I know they exist, but at the same time I need proof of everything. Therefore, I don't think being a skeptic means you're NOT a believer necessarily.

I suppose I'd ask, if you didn't believe at all, what WOULD it take to convince you? Specifically. Since this thread's on the ghost channel, we'll talk about that.

Photographic evidence, video evidence, just about ANY sort of evidence can be faked or disproved. Even if it's genuine. It's really a no-win situation. You would have to get a skeptic to record this evidence themselves and not be able to explain it away. A very hard thing to do considering how hard it is to catch evidence to begin with.

Anyway... that's my question... up there amongst all the other crap. :lol:

Edited by Nadia B.

I would ask a skeptic why are they so awesome and would they tattoo their signature on my first born child.

Edited by Brian Topp

I would ask a skeptic why are they so awesome and would they tattoo their signature on my first born child.

Because I love Spaced and yes.

Give me something that requires nothing, offers nothing, does nothing and I will give you a more detailed answer of why I may be skeptical of that nothing :D

One reason why I love this forum is all the different views people have. There are a lot of skeptic vs. Believer posts and I just want to try a different approach to it. To the believers, what are some questions you'd like to ask the skeptics?

I think this is a great take on the recent trend of skeptic vs. believer threads. You've attempted to open an honest dialog which is in stark contrast with the shouting match that some others have created. I sincerely hope that both skeptics and believers alike take this opportunity to bridge the gap.

Cheers to you and thanks for the thread. :tu:

I think this is a great take on the recent trend of skeptic vs. believer threads. You've attempted to open an honest dialog which is in stark contrast with the shouting match that some others have created. I sincerely hope that both skeptics and believers alike take this opportunity to bridge the gap.

Cheers to you and thanks for the thread. :tu:

It is a good attempt however with out that something we really don`t know what to be skeptical about. This is to generic as there are some things I am less or more skeptical about.

Have any of you ever considered that it may all be normal instead paranormal?? I don't mean like all in the person's brain... by this I mean a living creature of some sort that we have no yet discovered or figured out. The other day I read in some thread something about water not weighing down fish when it passes trough their gills. Could we have something similar to that happening here, a creature that lives in the air allowing air to pass trough it? Could it be a cloud of microscopic creatures that dissipate so it can't be detected? What do you guys think about that?? Because I think about this often... too often. :wacko:

Have any of you ever considered that it may all be normal instead paranormal?? I don't mean like all in the person's brain... by this I mean a living creature of some sort that we have no yet discovered or figured out. The other day I read in some thread something about water not weighing down fish when it passes trough their gills. Could we have something similar to that happening here, a creature that lives in the air allowing air to pass trough it? Could it be a cloud of microscopic creatures that dissipate so it can't be detected? What do you guys think about that?? Because I think about this often... too often. :wacko:

I think most skeptics would say that would be awesome find, so let's find it and prove it. If it does exist, then its existence should be able to be proven just like a lion, a cow, or a canary.

I suppose I'd ask, if you didn't believe at all, what WOULD it take to convince you? Specifically. Since this thread's on the ghost channel, we'll talk about that.

Photographic evidence, video evidence, just about ANY sort of evidence can be faked or disproved. Even if it's genuine. It's really a no-win situation. You would have to get a skeptic to record this evidence themselves and not be able to explain it away. A very hard thing to do considering how hard it is to catch evidence to begin with.

For me, it would be a two-step process.

First, I need evidence that the phenomena exists as something other than a psychological issue. In order to be convinced of that, I would need a repeatable way of triggering the phenomena. If ghosts exist, something is causing them to appear. Discover what that trigger is, so that ghosts can be made to appear on cue, and that would be proof that the phenomena of apparitions does indeed exist objectively, separate from human psychology.

Second, we need to determine what, exactly, a ghost is. For this, it think it would be a matter of research into the ghost encountered. If most of the ghosts have documented lives, it would be evidence that ghosts are departed spirits that used to be alive. However, there would also have to be tests to determine whether they are one and the same spirit, or a reflection, or some other variation of that. In other words, do we all have ghosts inside of us right now, or is a ghost just some sort of spiritual back-up in case of a system failure?

I would ask the skeptic...do you believe in God?

I think most skeptics would say that would be awesome find, so let's find it and prove it. If it does exist, then its existence should be able to be proven just like a lion, a cow, or a canary.

It does exist. Many subatomic particles like nutrenos do just that. Dark matter included.

It does exist. Many subatomic particles like nutrenos do just that. Dark matter included.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's what she meant.

I have several questions for I guess you could say staunch skeptics. Like Nadia, I have been wittnes to things that I probably would doubt had I not had the experience. So I am a bit of a skeptic myself and require personal evidence.

My 1st question would be if you the "Skeptic" experienced saw something plain as day. How would you react?

Why is it that some skeptics cannot take into acount the limitations of scientific methodology, technology, and understanding?

Why is it that most skeptics stop asking questions once they think they have an answer?

Why is it that some skeptics can't seem to handle the fact that their world view is not fact.?

Let's start with that.

Edited by Seeker79

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's what she meant.

Well I tend to try to combine these things of the spirit and some of the not so well understood scientific discoveries. Dark matter does flow through us, fills us. It affects us through gravity as far as we can tell. No reason to rule it out. The "Higgs field" does the same thing if it is real. So do nutrenos. All these things amoung others constantly flowinG. In and around us. We we think we gave found it all..,. I think probably not.

Edited by Seeker79

First I would like to say that I respect everyone's right to believe or disbelieve. We all have our own reasons and I will give mine after the question. I guess what I would ask a non-believing skeptic is, "why does an anomaly have to be dissected to be personally proven to them?" I have read many statements from skeptics that basically say that they could see a paranormal entity in person and they would not believe it because science hasn't been able to capture and study it. I still believe science is in a very young phase. For all the knowledge that modern science possess it will be almost entirely obsolete in a matter of 100 years. Everything will be rethought and old mistakes will be swept under the rug, as it always has been and will continue to be. So what will it matter to us when we are dead and science has finally evolved enough to capture a lost soul? I believe for I have seen and the people around me have seen. I agree that it is the best option to search for non-paranormal answers to most any situation and I love disproving claims of paranormal events, especially video, but in the end I believe and I know that these anomalies exist. I truly hope that my question or opinion was not offensive.

Not necesarily. Only in recent human history did we even discover things like viruses or bacteria. Life is information. There may very well be informational constructs ( life) existing in the deep places of reality. Using say dark matter or something else as a medium to carry their information through time. If these things are not made out of things that react to particles in our reality as we know it they may be quite undectectable. Just white board talk of course, but it could be that we are one of those life forms living in symbiosis with a biological one.

Not necesarily. Only in recent human history did we even discover things like viruses or bacteria. Life is information. There may very well be informational constructs ( life) existing in the deep places of reality. Using say dark matter or something else as a medium to carry their information through time. If these things are not made out of things that react to particles in our reality as we know it they may be quite undectectable. Just white board talk of course, but it could be that we are one of those life forms living in symbiosis with a biological one.

Yes!! I am talking about this kind of thing. It could be a virus, just as it could be some form of animal, or air algae for all we know. This is exactly what I mean! Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. For example bacteria or viruses, we don't see but we know they are alive, they would not spread if they weren't. It may not use the air at all it may use dark matter like Seeker says. Who knows?? We don't!! So we need to find out, I think instead of casting it as evil demons or dead people, or mental disorders we should run all experiments possible. I don't think Einstein started his experiments with his mind made up about the outcome.