Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what would you ask a skeptic?

The Paranormal Skeptic

The answer is even freaking simpler.

You hear about it in the news, You read it, You hear stories about it from your friends and people you might know. I've never had a personal experience myself. So i guess i should never worry about it because I've never experienced something myself and only people who have seen or experienced it should be "obsessed" with it, Even though the subject is quite fascinating. Which i think anybody will agree, any skeptic and any believer or anybody in between. We all want to know the answers. right?

I guess it's because people want to know the truth. What is causing these people to see these things?, Why would a person experience such things? Is it real, is it not?.

I look at it this way. Human perception is flawed. It is very easy to believe you saw something that was not really there. Only fools trust their senses 100%.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Crane Feather

• aquatus1

• ShadowofaDoubt

• sinewave

I look at it this way. Human perception is flawed. It is very easy to believe you saw something that was not really there. Only fools trust their senses 100%.

Good day, Sinewave.

Also, I'm not sure if i'm saying it right but (a lot of) people have a tendency of believing in strange things when rational explanations are available. They're possibly influenced by their parents, religion or even movies...

Good day, Sinewave.

Also, I'm not sure if i'm saying it right but (a lot of) people have a tendency of believing in strange things when rational explanations are available. They're possibly influenced by their parents, religion or even movies...

You are exactly right. It is a very human tendency to reach random conclusions where uncertainty exists. I suspect we are programmed to be that way. Before science we had to survive on our wits as pattern seeking creatures. We observe our surroundings and reach conclusions based on our experiences. Random interpretations could ensure the survival of the species at some level. Fortunately, we also have the intellect to construct frameworks like science to help separate fact from perception. It is still very tempting for many to revert to the more primal perception / belief based reasoning even in the presence of established and verified understanding. It is how we are wired. It takes discipline and effort to resist primal instincts under the best conditions. Fear and uncertainty only complicate the matter.

Belief only takes us so far. Understanding has given us vaccines, space travel, and sustainable agriculture. Belief has given us human sacrifice, witch hunts, and blood letting.

Edited by sinewave

I am skeptic for i am taking a science degree. Thus i have a mundane view of these things.

Yeah, but what science degree?

Yeah, but what science degree?

I must admit a forensic one, but i still share the view of a scientist.