Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Ghost Hunters Held at Gunpoint

Michelle

I have to say first, I'd have done the same.

"Ghost Hunting" or not there were 9 teenagers (how many vehicles) circling a cemetery at night - law prohibits most cemeteries from being entered after dusk. The cemetery in question was target of vandalism and other questionable goings on. The judge cannot account for exactly what was said between parties, nor can they assess that the true purpose of the group of teenagers was to be "Ghost Hunting". A local legend is a great excuse for avoiding trouble should you be confronted.

The road, while public property is a dead end road - to circle it three times shows that they were not simply traveling on a 'public road' - depending on their actions during the entire process, and if at any point they were out of their vehicle it further strengthens suspicion. He had reason to believe they were up to no good. Is the judge suggesting that people should simply take others at their word when confronted for doing something wrong.

"Ghost Busting" as the judge claims, should not be an excusable reason for their presence there - and the teacher really was in the right. Out numbered 9 to 1, he could have assumed any number of them to be armed drug dealers or vagrants. Holding them for police to arrive WAS NOT excessive - how do you plan to make 9 teenagers stay put?

I believe he has valid citizen's arrest, and more citizens should be like this gentlemen.

The kids should have never been in the graveyard to begin with.

Last thing the Paranormal Field needs is "teenagers running around graveyards claiming they are Ghost Hunters".

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• Mark is Back

• WoIverine

• Amariel

Here is the outcome...

(CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.) -- Stacy Swallows, a 46-year-old teacher, will not be indicted by a Hamilton County grand jury.

Swallows was accused of holding a group of teens at gunpoint as they attempted to leave the Shipley Road Cemetery, the night of September 4.

The Sequoyah High School teacher blocked the path of nine teens with his car as he held a rifle, but was not indicted on any of the nine counts of aggravated assault and nine counts of false imprisonment.

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradio.squarespace.com/chattanooga/grand-jury-will-not-indict-stacy-swallows.html#ixzz1Wj9I4UzM

"It would've succeeded if it wasn't for those meddling kids!"

-HA, Love it man. (and the Doc Doom pic)

Here is the outcome...

(CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.) -- Stacy Swallows, a 46-year-old teacher, will not be indicted by a Hamilton County grand jury.

Swallows was accused of holding a group of teens at gunpoint as they attempted to leave the Shipley Road Cemetery, the night of September 4.

The Sequoyah High School teacher blocked the path of nine teens with his car as he held a rifle, but was not indicted on any of the nine counts of aggravated assault and nine counts of false imprisonment.

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradio.squarespace.com/chattanooga/grand-jury-will-not-indict-stacy-swallows.html#ixzz1Wj9I4UzM

GooD! Glad to see that the good guy wins here - This is why you never issue public arrests - Always ends badly.

GooD! Glad to see that the good guy wins here - This is why you never issue public arrests - Always ends badly.

Thank you for bringing this thread back to life, I'd forgotten to give an update...and it never hurts to keep this in mind for the ghost hunters out there. I have to admit, when I was younger I was guilty of trespassing myself and still have to fight the urge to snoop where I shouldn't.

Welcome to UM by the way.

Edited by Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for bringing this thread back to life, I'd forgotten to give an update...and it never hurts to keep this in mind for the ghost hunters out there. I have to admit, when I was younger I was guilty of trespassing myself and still have to fight the urge to snoop where I shouldn't.

Welcome to UM by the way.

Thank you for the welcome - It's nice to have found these forums and this post. I'd never seen an actual suit over this criminal act.

Coincidently, our group's newsletter has an article on cemeteries this month too - which I like (written by another member) Instead of posting it here I'll link it once it has gone live tonight (on our webpage) via post edit. If you care to check it out, feel free.

Next step with that article is to revamp it a bit and send it to TAPS Paramag - provided they want more from us.

Thank you for the welcome - It's nice to have found these forums and this post. I'd never seen an actual suit over this criminal act.

Coincidently, our group's newsletter has an article on cemeteries this month too - which I like (written by another member) Instead of posting it here I'll link it once it has gone live tonight (on our webpage) via post edit. If you care to check it out, feel free.

Next step with that article is to revamp it a bit and send it to TAPS Paramag - provided they want more from us.

I look forward to it! :tu:

So since I wasn't thinking, I can't edit the post above - New to the forums so I'm not sure if thats common knowledge to everyone and I just missed it.

The link is here for the newletter.

We recently revamped the entire newsletter so it's officially the second issue of the first volume of the new and improved newsletter.

And I apologize for not posting the link sooner - a lot of events coming up and planing has been hectic. (3 newspapers want interviews/articles, 3-4 events scheduled and planning, 3 investigations with 1 urgent, 10 member requests, halloween always stirs up the pot)

Yeah, posts can't be edited after about an hour.

Nice newsletter you've got there. It sounds like you've been pretty busy with a lot of interesting stuff going on. The best of luck with your endeavor.

Yeah, posts can't be edited after about an hour.

Nice newsletter you've got there. It sounds like you've been pretty busy with a lot of interesting stuff going on. The best of luck with your endeavor.

Aye - that list has grown, I doubt I'll have a full day's rest this October.

Anyway - thank you by the way - working on the next one now, getting things together.

• 3 weeks later...