Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia vows to build base on the Moon

Still Waters

Russia has vowed to build a base on the Moon within two decades which it plans to use as a staging post for a manned mission to Mars.

It made the promise as Vladimir Putin, the Russian prime minister, chaired a meeting about Russia's space programme on the eve of the fiftieth anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's historic 1961 orbit of the Earth.

The Kremlin is using next Tuesday's anniversary to boost patriotic sentiment and briefing documents handed out prior to Mr Putin's meeting showed it is determined to restore its space programme to its Soviet-era glory.

"Above all, we are talking about flights to the moon and the creation of a base close to its north pole where there is likely to be a source of water," the documents said. "This could be achieved close to 2030."

A manned mission to Mars would be possible in the 2030s, they added.

Russian scientists have touted the moon as a potential source of energy, saying it contains large reserves of helium 3, a sought-after isotope that may be the key to a new way of generating power.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• angi chiesa

• Uncle Sam

• Cosmic2012

• looser

And i thought Russia was practically bankrupt. All this to impress the population,so more starvation to come.

And i thought Russia was practically bankrupt. All this to impress the population,so more starvation to come.

My understanding is that the Russian economy has emerged from recession (it was hit hard but for a short time only) and is back to the growth that experience for the decade prior to that. Nor am I particularly aware of vast starvation in Russia so your objections on economic grounds don't seem very valid.

As for exploration, yes it has benefit as a propaganda tool (that is why the USA went to the Moon in the 1960's after all) but also huge benefits in developing new technologies. These in turn help the economy. Apollo benefited the USA and the Russian space programme has no doubt benefited the people of Russia.

No. You are so wrong. Russia is not bankrupt. It is obvious you dont know geo-political, science and economy importance of Russia in the world.

China, India and Russia are becoming leading countries in the world. It just way it is.

Russia reserves of oil, gas, diamanats are huge...and others...Bakrupt..funny.

Ok I stand corrected,I am behind the times on their economy.If this expensive project helps the Russian people then I am pleased for them. I am partly convinced that this will give the man in the street a benefit. However we are talking megga bucks here and my grasp of economic reality is greater than yours

The Russians are at lest looking forward with their space program and I hope they make it. What the USA looking forward to pre-civil war America slavery,perpetual wars, lineing the pockets of the rich and turning the USA to the Roman Empire before it's fall some future.

The Russian economy is booming, not surprising seeing as how they own a lot of the worlds natural resources. I think them aiming to get into space is a good thing a bit of competiton is just what the space agencies need to get their asses into gear.

It is completely irrelevant what state the economy is in. People need health care and jobs. Cures for diseases...they need a good educational system and ways to create clean energy. We need to get the poisons and chemicals out of our food and water. We need to learn how to share, learn that killing is wrong, and that life is precious. There are so many "much" more important roads we need to travel yet, than to find "rocks on other planets". There "is" intelligent life out there....but until we fix, all the injustices and problems on our own "rock"..."they" will have nothing to do with us. There is no excuse to spend all those resources on a pathetic (technological wise/we are no where near ready to cross space) space venture! The civilizations out there in space worth finding, will most assuredly contact us first when the time is right. We are a long way off from reaching that point since we can not even get our "priorities" right. Never mind beginning our contamination of the rest of this Universe. Not until we clean up the mess here...I.E. End wars and occupations, Religious Crusades, Pedophile Church Doctrines, rape, murder, pollution, greed... etc. etc. etc. Think! "Fix" our species "foundation" before we try to build that "high rise toward the stars"! Have a good day...all of you.

I'm not sure Russia would be very good at making a moon-base.

After all, concrete doesn't pour very well in low-gravity :P

meow purr :)

I lived in Ukraine for a year just after the Soviet collapse. I for one am glad to see Russia getting back into this. I think countries are still capable of finding medical and economic cures for their people and still maintain a push forward in space. Most of the big powers can indeed walk and chew gum at the same time. My hats off to them for taking the initiative. Someone has to keep humans in space. Those space rocks are indeed important too. The Earth's resources can only go so far. If we can mine lifeless planets and asteroids instead of raping Earth it might be better for everyone. Not to mention the jobs that space endeavors create!

Terra 333, You seem to be the only one so far that is writing common sense. The cost of such a project would mop up so much cash that other programs will suffer. The idea of mining resources from the heavens is not practical. Our earth problems can be solved here. There are far to many people on this planet and this is where our problems lie. Incidentally I see that the Russian powers that be are to ban gmail,hotmail and facebook...What does this imply to you.And also when you reply tell me that there is no poverty in Russia....LOL

I am all for forwarding human's ability to traverse space, but sometimes it might be good to check if the intentions of that nation. Russia has proved to be less aggressive than it used to be during the soviet union, so I tend to learn towards trusting them when it comes to space. But don't get e wrong, there are times when I see corruption showing like them jacking the pricing of the capsule rides for American astronaughts, which makes me like COME ON, me as a American citizen doesn't see Russia as a enemy. I see them as a friend who we both could benefit from working together to achieve goals like interstaller space travel.

Terra 333, You seem to be the only one so far that is writing common sense. The cost of such a project would mop up so much cash that other programs will suffer. The idea of mining resources from the heavens is not practical. Our earth problems can be solved here. There are far to many people on this planet and this is where our problems lie. Incidentally I see that the Russian powers that be are to ban gmail,hotmail and facebook...What does this imply to you.And also when you reply tell me that there is no poverty in Russia....LOL

It is nice to look at the World through rose colored glasses Angi. Common sense tells me that the Earth has only so much it can give.

I see a necessity for man to start branching into outer space. Important resources for the people back on the Earth could be found on the moon and beyond. Plus man will simply need more room to live. And if one day the Earth becomes seriously threatened by natural calamity for example, then we will need to go somewhere else. Tha Moon or Mars perhaps. These will be the first baby steps in learning how to live on another 'planet'. But I hope we learn to curb our negative tendencies too or all we will be doing is taking our problems into space. Tha aliens won't like that.

Colonizing other planets is the only hope for human to prosper and avoid extinction in a couple of millions years when the sun starts to swell.

And you cannot buy social behaviors! Even if America decide to buy Iran it wouldn't be possible. And to save the poors is not to cancel space program, but to take money from the riches and give them to the poor. But hey, if a Yo Rapper praised by the poor can buy a 2 millions cars, why should I be much concerned by the poor!

Russia (then the Soviet Union) has signed the Outer Space Treaty banning nuclear weapons on the Moon.

The Outer Space Treaty, formally known as the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies, is a treaty that forms the basis of international space law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

Of course, since no nation ever breaks treaties we don't have to worry about this potential threat.

I have to agree that Russia has less economic problems then many other countrys. They not only are not fighting any wars, but they are actually selling hardware to just about everyone. The US is stuck right now as an Importer nation and is bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan... nation building were no one wants us. The US should turn away from policing the world and consolidate our own nation. Then turn and see if we can't beat the Russians, or even the Chinese, back to the Moon.

With people going on about how the Earth is doomed, you would think some of them would be eager to get off, rather then crying and whining about the tiny dribble of money spent on the space program.

And the new space race begins! Hopefully we can start funding NASA to colonize the Moon like we did the race, but I hope this time we will actually stay there and start doing base rocket missions from there to Mars. We could have colonize the moon back in the 1960's but the politics only saw it as a way to boost their dang voting base with a nice achievement. Grrr... politics are holding us back.

How much do know about the Russian Fed?

I'm not sure Russia would be very good at making a moon-base.

After all, concrete doesn't pour very well in low-gravity :P

meow purr :)

Yeh but there isn't any trees to make a log cabin!

I have to agree that Russia has less economic problems then many other countrys. They not only are not fighting any wars, but they are actually selling hardware to just about everyone. The US is stuck right now as an Importer nation and is bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan... nation building were no one wants us. The US should turn away from policing the world and consolidate our own nation. Then turn and see if we can't beat the Russians, or even the Chinese, back to the Moon.

With people going on about how the Earth is doomed, you would think some of them would be eager to get off, rather then crying and whining about the tiny dribble of money spent on the space program.

Very well said!

Of course they wouldn't ask for it to be a joint mission. I never will trust that country and its politics. Their history and lies proceed them. I know some great Russian people and they have told me stories of how they were treated by the Russian gov.

Edited by Robbie333