Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
nisheeth

A sudden recall of very old dreams

85 posts in this topic

LilacLiz

I am only 18 years old... but for he last yearbook or so I have been expirencing the same thing. I will be going about my day, when sudden flashes of old dreams appear in my head... dreams that I didn’t even recall after waking up.... and only remember during these flashes. It’s a strange feeling... and I can’t not explain it either. I’m young, very healthy, and do not take any drugs. These dreams are not always pleasant or normal dreams, but sometimes dreams that have a weird aura/energy around them. These dreams seem to have no significance to them in my day to day life or on a spiritual level. 

Aubweezy

YESSSSS That is happening  to me. A lot lately which has brought me to this post!!!! I don’t know why and this is gonna creep everyone out but it’s been happening a lot lately and I feel like it’s like my brain like not having anything else to thing about so it  just goes back into old dreams idk. It’s been happening a lot a lot lately and I smoke weed daily and have for 10 years i thought maybe it was that. I do not feel like it’s some super power it actually freaks me out and felt like something was wrong but I guess I’m not the only one. (:

YesorNo

Interesting

Edited by YesorNo

irenichf
On 5/10/2012 at 4:33 AM, pythagorashyperborea said:

Nisheeth, are you still around. This exact thing is happening to me. I think I may have a good idea what is happening here.

I haven't hardly dreamt in over a decade. Suddenly, 5 months ago, I started remembering old, old dreams while I was awake. It was slow at first, then it increased and continued to increase until one evening it exploded; I was relaxing, then BAM: they just came pooring in. I literally wen't through thirty dreams from throughout my entire life. I'm astonished. It felt so amazing, even though some of the dreams weren't exactly pleasent when I originally had them.

I hope your still around. I need to ask you a few questions.

Hello, are you still around yourself? The same thing has happened to me

irenichf

This is happened to me last night. 

DawnEva

Since sometime in October, I've been slowly and randomly recalling old dreams stretching back to when I was a child. It was and still is unnerving. Nothing seems to trigger them; I can have a "flashback" while I'm working, zoning out, or even gaming. 

I am 22 and female. My nutrition, sleeping patterns and mental health are pretty poor, my memory is fairly poor, and I am constantly in a high-stress environment, but I don't have epilepsy or seizures like some of the other posts suggested. I also don't believe it to be a surge of serotonin as I feel pretty neutral afterwards. I'm not very happy following the flashback, but I'm also not displeased by them - I'm neutral about them. The dreams recalled aren't of any significance or importance to me, in fact, they aren't super memorable in general and tend to be very bland. I don't recall lucid dreams, sleep paralysis, or nightmares in this manner. 

I don't go into any kind of trance-like state like some of the others here have reported - it's more of a second or two of the memory of a dream popping into my head. 

This whole thing followed what was a short period with nothing but what could be considered nightmares, but they didn't phase me at the time - and a long stretch where I hardly had any dreams if any. Recently I've been having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, but I have had dreams recently. I also forget these dreams pretty quickly after waking up. I've always been like that, which makes recalling the dreams strange, to say the least. It also seemed to start at a time of particularly high stress.

It might be important to note that I consider myself depressed but I am not diagnosed. 

Desertrat56
7 hours ago, DawnEva said:

Since sometime in October, I've been slowly and randomly recalling old dreams stretching back to when I was a child. It was and still is unnerving. Nothing seems to trigger them; I can have a "flashback" while I'm working, zoning out, or even gaming. 

I am 22 and female. My nutrition, sleeping patterns and mental health are pretty poor, my memory is fairly poor, and I am constantly in a high-stress environment, but I don't have epilepsy or seizures like some of the other posts suggested. I also don't believe it to be a surge of serotonin as I feel pretty neutral afterwards. I'm not very happy following the flashback, but I'm also not displeased by them - I'm neutral about them. The dreams recalled aren't of any significance or importance to me, in fact, they aren't super memorable in general and tend to be very bland. I don't recall lucid dreams, sleep paralysis, or nightmares in this manner. 

I don't go into any kind of trance-like state like some of the others here have reported - it's more of a second or two of the memory of a dream popping into my head. 

This whole thing followed what was a short period with nothing but what could be considered nightmares, but they didn't phase me at the time - and a long stretch where I hardly had any dreams if any. Recently I've been having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, but I have had dreams recently. I also forget these dreams pretty quickly after waking up. I've always been like that, which makes recalling the dreams strange, to say the least. It also seemed to start at a time of particularly high stress.

It might be important to note that I consider myself depressed but I am not diagnosed. 

It concerns me that you admit you are experiencing a lot of stress, poor nutrition and health.  What can you do to change that?  As long as these issues are true you will have poor sleep and the dreams you are remembering may be linked to another time in your life when you were in the same condition as now.

Edited by Desertrat56

DawnEva
3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

It concerns me that you admit you are experiencing a lot of stress, poor nutrition and health.  What can you do to change that?  As long as these issues are true you will have poor sleep and the dreams you are remembering may be linked to another time in your life when you were in the same condition as now.

I know it's a little strange to admit those things but I wasn't sure if any of it would be relevant, since some of the others had reported that they thought there might be a link between those things. 

At the moment, there's not much I can do to improve upon the stressful conditions, but it's definitely slowly getting better and I haven't had a "flashback" in a few days at least (they were fairly frequent when I was experiencing them, at least one a day but sometimes more). As for having another time in my life with high stress or similar conditions, I can't say that I've had one. I've been lightly stressed at other points in my life but nothing really near this level, and nothing that I can identify as being linked to times around when I'd first had the dreams.

Though I do think that it may be linked to the stress, since they're less frequent as my level of stress does improve. Fortunately, I will be able to improve upon my nutrition and sleeping habits in the next coming months since some of what had been causing such stress and my subsequent negative habits are being relieved (as a general example, I was the only person in my family with a job for a few months and had to work incredibly hard to keep everyone afloat - and my husband was recently hired). 

I'll try to update if the flashbacks continue, or if in my case, it seemed to be caused by stress.

• Like 1

Desertrat56
2 minutes ago, DawnEva said:

I know it's a little strange to admit those things but I wasn't sure if any of it would be relevant, since some of the others had reported that they thought there might be a link between those things. 

At the moment, there's not much I can do to improve upon the stressful conditions, but it's definitely slowly getting better and I haven't had a "flashback" in a few days at least (they were fairly frequent when I was experiencing them, at least one a day but sometimes more). As for having another time in my life with high stress or similar conditions, I can't say that I've had one. I've been lightly stressed at other points in my life but nothing really near this level, and nothing that I can identify as being linked to times around when I'd first had the dreams.

Though I do think that it may be linked to the stress, since they're less frequent as my level of stress does improve. Fortunately, I will be able to improve upon my nutrition and sleeping habits in the next coming months since some of what had been causing such stress and my subsequent negative habits are being relieved (as a general example, I was the only person in my family with a job for a few months and had to work incredibly hard to keep everyone afloat - and my husband was recently hired). 

I'll try to update if the flashbacks continue, or if in my case, it seemed to be caused by stress.

I really do think stress is a huge factor.  I have had periods in my life that I experience extreme stress and I had a lot of recurring dreams and night mares then.  I'm glad your husband is now working, that will take some of the stress off.  When I was without a job for 2 1/2 years it took about 2 years once I got a job to get caught up on everything.  I hope things go well for you.

• Thanks 1

DawnEva
Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I really do think stress is a huge factor.  I have had periods in my life that I experience extreme stress and I had a lot of recurring dreams and night mares then.  I'm glad your husband is now working, that will take some of the stress off.  When I was without a job for 2 1/2 years it took about 2 years once I got a job to get caught up on everything.  I hope things go well for you.

I definitely believe it will be getting better from here on out - thank you for your input, I think we've solved the mystery in my case in particular as to why I'm having the flashbacks. Time will tell!

• Like 1