Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Edwards Air Force Base UFO Incident,

karl 12

As discussed in this thread, the Edwards Air Force Base UFO incident is a pretty darn intriguing one and involves several UFOs over a secure military runway - the objects were witnessed by several Air Force personnel, confirmed by multiple radar and the USAF even scrambled several jet fighters to go after them - below are the pilot transmission recordings and some very interesting testimony from the air traffic controller Chuck Sorrels.

Edwards Air Force Base.

Edward J. Ruppelt, former chief of an Air Technical Intelligence Center, reported several incidents of unidentified aerial vehicles with advanced flight characteristics, seen over this secured test facility in the 1950s. A similar event happened on the night of October 7, 1965. And here is the voice of the man who first reported it.

Chuck Sorrels: My name is Chuck Sorrels, a retired Air Force air traffic controller. I'm recording this on May 16, 1995. In 1965, 30 years ago, I was a tech sergeant in the U.S. Air Force, attached to the19 25th Communication Squadron at Edwards Air Force Base in California. I was the air traffic controller on duty in Edwards tower on the night of October 7, 1965. I was working a midnight shift in the tower when at approximately 1:30 a.m., I spotted a group of luminous objects in the air above and around Edwards Air Force Base. They had a flashing red light on the bottom, with a green, glowing light above the red.

They also sometimes flashed or glowed a white light above the green light. The sightings lasted until about daylight, 5:30 or six a.m. At first I sighted one object, which was larger and brighter than the rest. At one point there were seven objects visible at the same time. The objects would be stationary for a period of time and then move very fast to another location and appeared to be able to climb straight up in short order. Good eyesight and my experience as an air traffic controller made it plain to me that these luminous objects were not planes, helicopters, stars, satellites, weather balloons or any other known aerial object. Your job as an air traffic controller calls for you to be watchful.Training told me these were not normal objects. The objects weren't supposed to be there. These were objects out of the normal, from their appearance and flight characteristics. I reported these sightings to base operations and the Los Angeles Air Defense Sector. The objects were also seen by at least five other people on Edwards Air Force Base. They were also seen by George Air Force Base tower and were showing up on radar in at least four different radar sight locations.

NICAP Link

Bluebook Documents -pdf

Transmission Recording:

Excerpts.

Okay. Captain Clark, uh, Lieutenant Reed?

Yeah.

Uh, we have some confirmed reports of, uh, some unidentified flying objects your area. .

Okay.

Approximately six or more, uh, from Edwards, uh, just south of Victorville, and we'd like to use-- We have information from 28th --- We also have some height-finder cuts from anywhere from 3,000 up to 13. They're moving slowly.

Uh huh.

And they're climbing slowly.

I see.

They're red, white and green flashing lights.

Uh huh.

And, uh, they have been confirmed on radar..

Uh, San Pedro is painting them, uh, three targets, and they're all three around 9,000 feet.

San Pedro's pickin' 'em up at 9,000, huh?

Roger.

What about Boron?

Boron? We're, uh, working with them to see if we can get 'em on 'em now. That's those three little dots out there [OVERLAPPING] and

[OVERLAPPING] Yeah.

I'd say that, uh, there are three definite objects. It's not weather. It's not clutter.

Uh, they, they can see the objects, but they don't see, uh, [sOUNDS LIKE: it's not an aircraft?]

No. They can't tell what they are.

[01:29:02:02]

Uh. Oh. Scramble 'em.

[sOUNDS LIKE: You are scramblin' 'em] [uNINTELLIGIBLE]? [LAUGHS] [sOUNDS LIKE: I'm curious to] find out what the hell they are.

I am too.

And you'd be within your right to scramble 'em, wouldn't you?

I don't know. [sOUNDS LIKE: Be up to me just] [WORD?] I guess.

Well, [uNINTELLIGIBLE].

They're not moving [sOUNDS LIKE: hard] at all. [sOUNDS LIKE: They did?]

They watched 'em for 30 minutes and they didn't move at all and then all of a sudden, boom.

Oh yeah? Hmm. [sOUNDS LIKE: What are they?]

[LAUGHS] Don't know.

Little green men?

Nobody [sOUNDS LIKE: has ever accepted these things yet..

Full Audio MP3 Link

I'm curious about what people here think about this one too.

It's cases like this that have me leaning toward ETH.

Brilliant reserch as usual Karl, and a fascinating recording, of a fascinating case!

It's always good to here it from the horses mouth (so to speak), I always think that it lends a little more authenticity to any 'story' if one can judge for one-self the character of the actual witness.

I always liked this picture of a UFO taken (accidently) by a test pilot at Edwards AFB 8 years earlier in 1957.

http://www.ufocasebook.com/edwardsafb1957.jpg

Interesting to see how this testimony is going to be dismissed?

Gordon Cooper also mentioned a UFO landing at Edwards in 1957 that was caught on film. If true, this is yet one more example of "missing" UFO evidence.

This incident can surely be explained by a rare instance of swamp gas AND Chinese lanterns both being present.

In all seriousness, great find Karl. It's hard to dispute this particular case when you have professionally trained aviator personnel making these claims.

According the Samuel herman, six hours of audiotape about the 1965 UFO alert were declassified, but all highly scrambled.

UFO Alert At Edwards Air Force Base

A true account by Samuel M. Sherman

Note: The text file presented below is for use of the NICAP Search Engine only. To view the actual original web page and images, go to"

http://www.flash.net/~joerit/edwards/edwards.html

"Even still, we obtained the following de-classified materials, related to the UFO subject: Over 4000 pages of paper documents and correspondence; still photographs, radar photos, motion picture film, videotapes and audio tapes. Audio tapes?? Who was interested in that? We all wanted to see something.

Well, it turned out that the sounds presented some fantastic images all their own. I reviewed the audio materials last, as I had shelved them for months, I wanted visuals. What a mistake! I listened to six hours of confusing audio recordings from Edwards Air Force Base from the night of October 7, 1965 in which it sounded like a UFO alert was taking place over the base with 12 strange luminous objects coming down over the runway of one of our nation's most secure test facilities. This was/is the place where they fly the black, classified projects. They know what they are and what planes, helicopters, stars, weather balloons, planets and satellites are.

So what were they getting excited about? It was difficult to tell on the six hours of tapes. These tapes were de-classified, but in a form called "scrambled release" - all chopped up out of sequence, so they made no sense at all. I knew there was a story in there somewhere.

Between the chopped up editing and the overlay of noise, something very important lay in waiting. I decided to analyze the tapes for possible use in a segment in Beyond This Earth. I took eight months in my own audio studio editing 1/4 inch audio tapes, after signal processing them in computer to remove noise. I got to know the tapes so well, I felt I almost knew the people on the tapes, which I would in time. Now, what were these tapes and why were they made? In 1965 the Air Force ran large reels of recording tapes which recorded all of the signals from Radar.

Then if an accident or problem took place, the Radar could be re-played like running a video tape to figure out what took place. In the case of special events a track on these radar tapes could be used to record voice transmissions at the air base.

"This included all Phone Patches, Base-to-Base Communications and Ground- or Tower-to-Air Radio. Now this is what took place on the night of October 7, 1965 at Edwards Air Force Base. By putting the tapes into chronology and doing further research the story emerged.

At approximately 12:30AM, the Tower Operator at Edwards (a/k/a Edwards Tower) - Tech Sgt. Charles "Chuck" Sorrels saw a group of luminous objects flashing red, white, and blue or green light coming over the field. His job as an air traffic controller taught him to be watchful, so he could identify incoming planes. when these objects started to do unusual maneuvers, he knew this was out of the ordinary and called the Air Defense Command - in this case a unit known as LAADS (The Los Angeles Air Defense Sector).

Major Struble at LAADS ordered the recordings to be made--now we hear all this taking place on the actual tapes. He involved NORAD and the following other air bases- NORTON, HAMILTON, GEORGE and MARCH.

The major wanted to send planes up after the objects but could not do this until a CAPTAIN at Edwards approved sending up the planes. This Captain was the . . .get this . . . UFO officer (pronounced Yoo-fo) officer in charge on the base.

This was apparently more than just a job classification for reporting sightings, but he had to request the plane or planes go up, from the 28th Air Division at Hamilton, or they would not go up. In short the Air Defense Command needed HIS authority."

http://www.nicap.org/edwards65b.htm

Edited by TheMcGuffin

With this case, I'm leaning toward this being a very true and credible sighting! Very rare that so many different elements involved and all confirm the event exact. I am not so sure this is Aliens in their space ships however. As I said, I would say this is of high probability (98% or more ) it definitely was of unknown craft and origin, I just don't know if it's our own government's craft or aliens.

Awesome find Karl! Thank you my friend! Very pleased to have some quality topics once again! Was becoming rather dry for a short bit. :tu:

Edited by ColoradoParanormal

You know the sad thing is ,that Skyeagle has posted this report many times and reffered it ,in the Airforces cover up for years, Yet everyone Dissis Him to no End !

Now just maybe some day We shall see wit our own two or three eyes a Landinf and Actual Meeting with E.T !

And on that Day Im buying Sky a round for the Entire Base ! And Its Off with my Hat to Skyeagle!

And Good reporting Karl12 Too ! We need some faith and believers, Or E.T just might not ever Come to Little Old Planet Earth!

You know the sad thing is ,that Skyeagle has posted this report many times and reffered it ,in the Airforces cover up for years, Yet everyone Dissis Him to no End !

Now just maybe some day We shall see wit our own two or three eyes a Landinf and Actual Meeting with E.T !

And on that Day Im buying Sky a round for the Entire Base ! And Its Off with my Hat to Skyeagle!

And Good reporting Karl12 Too ! We need some faith and believers, Or E.T just might not ever Come to Little Old Planet Earth!

Agree 100% D! ....And i'll get the next round in!

I too apreciate Skyeagle's tireless efforts! :tsu:

I don't diss him since many of the cases he posts are perfectly valid and well known. Few of these classic cases have ever really been explained--not when when is honest and really studies the evidence. There will always be people who ignore all this or just try to brush it off, but that doesn't change the fact that these things really happened.

Nice video. He's right, even though he witnessed it, It was classified on a "need to know basis" So he couldn't

keep track of it.

This incident can surely be explained by a rare instance of swamp gas AND Chinese lanterns both being present.

:lol:

ETH or not, this is pure gold. Thanks for sharing.

I'm becoming less and less trusting of a lot of UFO evidence, but this one is well above average IMO.

I know Skyeagle will sleep better knowing that at least a few peep`s accept his du-dilligenc ! Or how ever its spealled!

You know what I mean! :innocent:

I know Skyeagle will sleep better knowing that at least a few peep`s accept his du-dilligenc ! Or how ever its spealled!

You know what I mean! :innocent:

Actually, skyeagle409's "due diligence" didn't really have a thing to do with this story coming out. (I've seen some glaring examples of this "due diligence" of his. "Due diligence" is not how would describe it, though.) As much as the US military's integrity has been dragged through the mud by avid ETH fanatics and pop UFOlogists, at least someone should give credit where credit is due for releasing this story: The US military.

Thanks for the replies and this certainly is an interesting case with very strange object descriptions, credible witnesses, multiple radar confirmation and yet another highly dubious USAF UFO explanation - here's a good programme on the incident where they interview the air traffic controller:

Part one of five:

Cheers.

Cheers karl 12. I loved this episode of UFO Hunters the first time I watched it. I'll have to come back and watch it again when I have the time. Very compelling case! :tu:

Cheers karl 12. I loved this episode of UFO Hunters the first time I watched it. I'll have to come back and watch it again when I have the time. Very compelling case! :tu:

Hey Boonster, you're not wrong about this being a very compelling case my friend and I'm quite at a loss to offer a viable explanation as to what the objects actualy were - there's another documentary clip featuring the incident below and further comments are made about the object's flight characteristics - they also make mention of USAF 'UFO Officers':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMjU67rqAvQ

Cheers. :tu:

As much as the US military's integrity has been dragged through the mud by avid ETH fanatics and pop UFOlogists, at least someone should give credit where credit is due for releasing this story: The US military.

Someoldguy, I see what you're saying there and thanks to the tireless efforts of UFO researchers submitting legaly binding FOIA requests, the U.S. Military did indeed release some information about this case so kudos for them for that - too bad NORAD and the Pentagon are completely exempt from the FOIA act though..

I would say however that the USAF does have a hell of a lot of explaining to do to it's employers (the U.S. public) about the general state of their 'investigations' into the UFO subject - here's what two prominent scientists heavily involved in official projects had to say about the state of affairs:

"I feel that the Air Force has misled us for twenty years.I equate almost all of that misrepresentation to incompetence and superficiality on the part of the Air Frce investigators involved with Project bluebook and its forerunners.Nobody there with any strong scientific competence s looking into the problem ."

Dr James McDonald -Senior physicist at the Institute for Atmospheric Physics and professor in the Department of Meteorology at the University of Arizona

"I was there at [Project] Bluebook and I know the job they had. They were told not to excite the public, not to rock the boat... Whenever a case happened that they coud explain--which was quite a few--they made a point of that, and let that out to the media. . .Cases that were very difficult to explain, they would jump handsprings to keep the media away from them. They had a job to do, rightfully or wrongfully, to keep the public from getting excited."

Dr. J. Allen Hynek, former Chairman of the Dept. of Astronomy at North Western University and scientific advisor to Project Bluebook from 1952-1969

"Based upon unreliable and unscientific surmises as data, the Air Force develops elaborate statistical findings which seem impressive to the uninitiated public unschooled in the fallacies of the statistical method. One must conclude that the highly publicized Air Force pronouncements based upon unsound statistics serve merely to misrepresent the true character of the UFO phenomena."

Yale Scientific Magazine (Yale University) Volume XXXVII, Number 7, April 1963

"Blue Book was now under direct orders to debunk...I remember the conversations around the conference table in which it was suggested that Walt Disney or some other educational cartoon producer be enlisted in the debunking process".

Dr J Allen Hynek, Chairman of the Department of Astronomy at Northwestern University and scientific consultant for Air Force investigations of UFOs from 1948 until 1969 (Projects Sign, Grudge and Blue Book).

"My study of past official Air Force investigations (Project Blue Book) leads me to describe them as completely superficial. Officially released 'explanations' of important UFO sightings have been almost absurdly erroneous."

Senior Atmospherical Physicist Dr James McDonald, speech to American Meteorological Society 1966

"Project Blue Book was ballyhooed by the Air Force as a full-fledged top-priority operation. It was no such thing. The staff, in a sense, was a joke. In terms of scientific training and numbers, it was highly inadequate to the task. And the methods used were positively archaic. And that is the crack operation that the general public believes looked adequately into the UFO phenomenon".

Dr J Allen Hynek, Chairman of the Department of Astronomy at Northwestern University and scientific consultant for Air Force investigations of UFOs from 1948 until 1969 (Projects Sign, Grudge and Blue Book).

Also, in regard to this very important comment made by Atmospherical Physicst Dr James Mcdonald, there are a great many UFO incidents (including the Edwards Air Force Base one) where the explanations offered by the U.S. Military are quite clearly spurious, contrived or just plain ridiculous - if you're interested then some examples are listed here..although the thread has not been updated for quite a while (maybe it's time for a new one).

"As a result of several trips to project Bluebook,I´ve had an opportunity to examine quite carefully and in detail the types of reports that are made by Bluebook personnel.In most cases, I have found that theres almost no correlation between so-called "evaluations and explanations" that are made by Bluebook and the facts of the case...

There are hundreds of good cases in the Air Force files that should have led to top-level scientific scrutiny of this problem,years ago,yet these cases have been swept under the rug in a most disturbing way by Project Bluebook investigators and their consultants."

Dr James McDonald -Senior physicist at the Institute for Atmospheric Physics and professor in the Department of Meteorology at the University of Arizona

Cheers.

:ph34r:

Donteatus, SkyEagle is an extremely knowledgeable chap when it comes to the UFO subject and he's certainly put me onto some very interesting cases down the years, this one and the Bariloche case to name but two - I'd buy him lots of beer as well. :)

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Gordon Cooper also mentioned a UFO landing at Edwards in 1957 that was caught on film. If true, this is yet one more example of "missing" UFO evidence.

Mcguffin, good call mate - I'll add that one to the relevant thread as there's now getting to be quite a few examples. :)

The Missing UFO Evidence Thread

You Know sumptin ! I dont Give a D@%&nn anymore ! Skyeagle or Carl Segan,or The Almighty Zort !

We will all believe what each and everyone of us want to believe for ourselfs.

Do your own Flying around some day ! Look up more than Looking Where you think you ought to be going !

Try to See beond the possibilities!

Dont Take Life so Serious !

You know how Long you have left ? I pi$$ in the Bucket compared to Life and Everything in the Universe!

And Yes the answer is Still 42 ~ So live with it !

Take your Loved ones out for Great Long Trips around this World If you can,Or At least Enjoy Life .

Let the WORLD Go Around enjoy the RIDE !

Remember to Teach a child to revel in knowledge ! Explore the Unknown! Stop thinking about Just Blasting everything to Gooee!

Go outside and Play ! Help a Little old Lady across the Street .

Clean your Room for your P`s . And For Gosh !Sake ! Pull your Drawer`s Up ! :wacko:

Donteatus, some good advice there mate... and I still have absolutely no idea what the objects involved in this case actualy were. :wacko:

There's plenty of other UFO cases out there which also appear to defy rational explanation so I just wonder why certain individuals who pour scorn and derision onto the subject are so reluctant to discuss them.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Astronaut Dr Edgar Mitchell, who was also present at Edwards AFB that night, comments on the incident:

Audio tapes of a genuine UFO Alert at Edwards Air Force base and studied by the Foreign Technology Division at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, are now available for distribution to the public.

Lunar Astronaut Dr. Edgar Mitchell was at Edwards the night the UFO chase occurred. The 6th person to walk on the moon said, "The night it happened I investigated it myself and this was a real event."

link