Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BBC show exposes psychics

Saru

There are real psychics. They are the ones you don't hear about or see on TV. They go quietly along thier path helping when they can, comforting when they can't. They don't ask for money or fame.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• The Silver Thong

• paul the walrus

Everyone that claims to be psychic is a fraud.

We are not capable of contacting the dead...because the dead no longer exist.

I think psychics are despicable people with personality disorders.

There are real psychics. They are the ones you don't hear about or see on TV. They go quietly along thier path helping when they can, comforting when they can't. They don't ask for money or fame.

Oh really...I'm interested in what empirical evidence you are privy to that the scientific community is not ?

Comforting you say....I would say the word you were looking for is 'Exploiting'

You have no way to know that.

You're stating your beliefs as fact.

If you have proof, feel free to post it.

These kind of comments are going to be met with this kind of reminder of the ToS -

3l. Defamation: Do not use this site or its services to attack, promote hatred towards or otherwise defame other web sites, forums, groups or individuals.

Any further comments like these will simply be deleted without warning.

Edited by Anvil

I think it would be fair to say more so in Psychic then other professions. Most other professions are not trying to sell fals hope. IMO. :tu:

Perhaps you're overlooking the whole issue that required government bail-outs and whatnot this past year or so? Cons low through high seek any possibility to make an easy dime off others' desperation and ignorance; and I'm going to make the wild assumption that most/all of them are in no way psychic (in the supernatural sense). Look closer at media & ads streaming non-stop from every mainstream orifice and it's easy to see the constant selling of false and illusory hopes through withholding of facts and just-barely-within-legal-limits marketing claims. They, however, know better than to attract too much attention to themselves by taking their claims too far; at least in principle. When you've a much larger demographic to leech, it pays to be more conservative I think (as a "professional con business person"; stipulation being intent of course).

Psychics are just more obvious since 1) They often stand alone and with nowhere near the amount of power and influence that larger organizations and institutions have, and 2) They willfully connect themselves with the fear-inspiring unknown and contested. (There might be more, but these 2 are sufficient enough)

Where did they pick these people from?

They don't. Such people foolishly volunteer themselves for this sort of entertainment.

In no way would I ever conduct such a test by accepting specimens of certain bents of personality, and especially not without a detailed psychological pre-screening ahead of time. Nor would I give them ANY pre-fabricated information or insight. Sure, this might preclude some types of 'readers', but that'd be an acceptable sacrifice to me. Otherwise I deserve what I get & should expect to meet with less desirable contacts. The one testing is embracing the same foolishness he seeks to entertain people with otherwise. Which is part of my own issue with this experiment; it was conducted specifically with bias in mind, from both ends. I would expect more effort than was made evident of any experiment that would call itself 'scientific' (and perhaps it hasn't actually, which would be an important distinction) .

Such obvious oversight makes me think the whole thing was fabricated in the first place specifically for the purpose of providing entertainment alone, and that any 'scientific' process was more of an afterthought than a prerequisite. I'd think that the subjects of the experiment would need to be placed under the same level of pointed scrutiny that the rest of the experiment is. Otherwise it's wasted effort. (Plus now I have to attempt at least a superficial case study to see if this was even assessed in the first place) I'd be more interested in legitimate process than someone looking to make a name for themselves at others' expense; psychic and experimenter alike.

Mind you, no less entertaining for these weaknesses, though transparent and predictable as a result.

May as well have walked onto a playground and offered candy to any child who could recite their history lessons for all the superficial effort there appears to have been placed into it. The setup reminded me more of the necessary steps to set up a amateur theatrical re-enactment (ie a play) than a legit experiment.

Oh really...I'm interested in what empirical evidence you are privy to that the scientific community is not ?

Comforting you say....I would say the word you were looking for is 'Exploiting'

Is it exploitative to genuinely feel the human need to reach out to others in sympathy and understanding, that one's own experiences and insights might be used by another to help them in overcoming their life's problems? I'm fairly certain that jaguarsky wasn't looking for 'exploiting' actually, or he/she would have used that word instead of comforting. Sure, there are people out there embracing the boogie man's role for personal gain. But there are likely more that have no such intents. The scientific community needs no such evidence. It's common sense patterned behavior that is self-evident across the human species for anyone secure & willing enough to open their eyes and look for it, instead of seeing only what those boogie-men want them to see.

I've been around long enough to know that the exploiters are the minority, not the majority.

Unfortunately, modern media seems overly interested in promoting predominantly negative media, and too many people seem content to eat it right up. So all "we" see are the boogie men and their handiwork.

Now, on the one hand I'm inclined to agree to a degree with the basic implication regarding the thread's topic.

However...One person of a race of people committing a crime does not automatically mean the entire race is guilty of the same. To actually believe otherwise is just naive and ignorant (by definition, not by my opinion). And you might find, understanding the nature of ego itself, that "they" aren't the ones you think are despicable after all. Your generalization is irrational and unfounded.

Edited by Sevastiel

Of course, I mean absolutely no one with such a power would ever consider using it for financial gain :rolleyes:

Of course, I mean absolutely no one with such a power would ever consider using it for financial gain :rolleyes:

No never cause we all know Sylvia Brown to be a true blooded mystic that only askes for $200.00 for a 2 min phone call. She should be in jail along with Montel and his producers.

These kind of comments are going to be met with this kind of reminder of the ToS -

3l. Defamation: Do not use this site or its services to attack, promote hatred towards or otherwise defame other web sites, forums, groups or individuals.

Any further comments like these will simply be deleted without warning.

Given the topic I will reluctantly delete my complete assertion it's bogus beyond belief.

Edited by The Silver Thong

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, Montel's alright...geez. He once pulled a guy from a burning automobile (true story)...but I digress. I think all one needs to do is look deeply enough to find instances where many of the things this website reports on really do happen. I have studied many cases of purported psychics as an amateur investigator of the paranormal, and most prove to be false. But if that is ALWAYS the case...why is it every industrialized country in the world has used them for military and criminal investigative applications? I think that it at least bears some further study.

Most professional psychics are scammers, because the ability is not one that you can perform simply at will. One can only acknowledge impressions and intuitions.

And naturally it's the professional psychics that would be targeted for shows like this. Nonprofessional psychics are harder to track down and less desirable for a show like this.

The ability exists.

• 3 weeks later...

This was done a few years ago to one quite famous "psychic" who used to be on UK TV. He no longer appears on TV. Theres no coming back for them once someone shows them up like this :P