Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Underground telescope could peer beyond the

Still Waters

A telescope buried up to half a mile underground could give scientists their first glimpse of the dawn of the universe.

The ambitious new device is designed to detect gravitational waves – an elusive phenomena created by some of the most violent events in the universe such as black holes, neutron stars and the Big Bang.

Although they have never been directly detected, these waves of gravity are thought to echo through the universe like ripples from a stone thrown into a pond and they could provide scientists with a new way of mapping the sky.

The telescope, which is likely to cost between £500 million and £1 billion to build, will be built inside a network of tunnels 12 miles long and buried up to half a mile underground to dampen any interference from vibrations on the surface.

The project is expected to rival the Large Hadron Collider, the 17 mile particle smasher on the French Swiss Border that was switched on in 2008, in its scale and ambition.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DieChecker

• psyche101

• Still Waters

• Venonat

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be very cool if it works. It will be real bummer if they detect nothing.

I wonder what the $1 billion is for? Aren't there pre-existing tunnels? How much do lasers and the computers to run them cost?

Very exciting news, I expect they would be pretty much on the ball if spending 1 Billion, the results will be astounding I am sure. I hope it is not too long a wait to see this thing in action.

It is expected to launch December 20 2012. Haha, just joking but that is some pretty interesting news.

It's sad how humanity is spending hundreds of times more money on war rather than discovering the origins of the universe, stars, planets etc and even humans. Hope to at least see results soon :D (by soon I mean a few years :P)