Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was the Last Supper 24 hours earlier?

Still Waters

Christians have long marked Jesus Christ's Last Supper on Maundy Thursday but new research by a leading academic suggests they have got the wrong date.

Professor Colin Humphreys, a scientist at the University of Cambridge, has now concluded that the final meal took place on the Wednesday before the crucifixion, a day earlier than previously accepted.

He believes his findings, which are likely to cause ripples among millions of Christians, could present a case for finally introducing a fixed date for Easter.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IamsSon

• tlsmith1138

• Pandora7321

• danielost

if the meal took place after sunset then it could be said to have been eaten on thursday, even tho from our point of view it was still wednesday. also i agree with all the walking it would take a day for them to do what they did.

I don't see why it would cause a ripple among Christians. It would also seem to clear up some

contradictions, but that's another story.

As a christian, I gotta tell you, this has to be one of the lamest excuses for wanting to be "right". He's my big boss and all I can say is, "Who cares?" Spend your time on something that matters to someone who cares.

As a non-Catholic, the exact day of the Last Supper or even the Crucifixion are not particularly germane to my spiritual walk. Having said that, I believe a careful reading of Scripture seems to indicate Jesus was crucified on Wednesday, so the Last Supper would have been on Tuesday.

I don't think it matters much, after all Christians have been celebrating Jesus's birthday at the wrong time for centuries

fullywired

It just sounds like the guy was trying to clear up a contradiction and some confusion. Why do you all sound so irritated? It's not like he's trying to DISPROVE the Bible. Sounds to me like he's a believer so why does every response on here sound flippant? But, you know by all means, let's not mess things up by introducing some logic into the religion.

It just sounds like the guy was trying to clear up a contradiction and some confusion. Why do you all sound so irritated? It's not like he's trying to DISPROVE the Bible. Sounds to me like he's a believer so why does every response on here sound flippant? But, you know by all means, let's not mess things up by introducing some logic into the religion.

The responses may sound flippant, but I think what we're pointing out is that since the Bible does not say, They had the Last Supper Thursday night, or Tuesday night, when the Last Supper happened does not really impact on the veracity of the Bible. As I pointed out, some of us see indications that the Last Supper actually took place on Tuesday night, and that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday, not Friday as tradition holds. Actually, the tradition of "Good Friday" is more problematic to the Bible than this researcher's idea that the Last Supper was on Wednesday night.

The supper in which Jesus participated could not have been the Passover. Jesus died (symbolically as the Passover Lamb), on the day that the lambs were sacrificed for the Passover meal. Passover was celebrated on the night on which Jesus died ... not on the previous night.

Questions and comments welcome from anyone who has objections to the above. :tu:

Karlis

It doesn't matter, to anybody. Does the saying,"It's the thought that counts." ring a bell? Did they have red wine or white wine? Who cares. Was Judas unhappy because he had problems with constipation? Who cares. Did they pick up the garbage in his neighborhood on tuesdays or thursdays? Who cares. Get it?

the last supper is merely the last meal that the 13 people had together. i am sure that they feed him during the traveling back and forth. that is until he was sentenced and then it wouldn't matter.

the last supper is merely the last meal that the 13 people had together. i am sure that they feed him during the traveling back and forth. that is until he was sentenced and then it wouldn't matter.

Daniel, If you mean that the meal as described in the Bible has no deeper meaning than just an evening meal by the followers of Jesus,then I disagree with you.

Consider symbolisms which Jesus brought into a new reality of meaning -- the foot washing, the bread and the wine. And that's just for starters. :)

It doesn't matter, to anybody. Does the saying,"It's the thought that counts." ring a bell? Did they have red wine or white wine? Who cares. Was Judas unhappy because he had problems with constipation? Who cares. Did they pick up the garbage in his neighborhood on tuesdays or thursdays? Who cares. Get it?

No. No, I don't get it. Because to most people, I would think, getting the basic story of their religion right would matter. When it comes to religion, anytime any contradiction is brought up that a follower doesn't want to see or believe or deal with in any way whatsoever, it's all of a sudden a matter of faith. "It doesn't really matter what the Bible says, it really just all boils down to faith."

If what's in the Bible "doesn't really matter" and it's basically "who cares", then why is it when the follower doesn't agree with something and they need the backing of their religion to prove why they're right, well lo and behold, what that Bible says all of sudden matters now doesn't it? "Well, I can't work on Sunday because the Bible says so." "Homosexuals are going to hell because the Bible says so." "Don't say God's name in vain because the Bible says so."

Cherrypicking, pure and simple. Cling on to what suits you, anything else is just, you know, small details that "don't matter". When I see God and he asks me why I didn't follow the Bible, I'll just tell him that I figured it was "the thought that counts".

No. No, I don't get it. Because to most people, I would think, getting the basic story of their religion right would matter. When it comes to religion, anytime any contradiction is brought up that a follower doesn't want to see or believe or deal with in any way whatsoever, it's all of a sudden a matter of faith. "It doesn't really matter what the Bible says, it really just all boils down to faith."

If what's in the Bible "doesn't really matter" and it's basically "who cares", then why is it when the follower doesn't agree with something and they need the backing of their religion to prove why they're right, well lo and behold, what that Bible says all of sudden matters now doesn't it? "Well, I can't work on Sunday because the Bible says so." "Homosexuals are going to hell because the Bible says so." "Don't say God's name in vain because the Bible says so."

Cherrypicking, pure and simple. Cling on to what suits you, anything else is just, you know, small details that "don't matter". When I see God and he asks me why I didn't follow the Bible, I'll just tell him that I figured it was "the thought that counts".

If the Bible specified which day of the week the Last Supper took place, and this researcher were now saying it was on another day and the believers were saying they didn't care, you might have a case for saying there is cherry-picking going on. The Bible does not specifically give a day, it doesn't say, "On Thursday, Jesus got together with the guys and had a symbolic meal with them."

I have to thank everyone on the forum... Sometimes you all make me learn more book learning about other religions more than my mom. It's fascinating.

So in my reading.. I found out it was standard to slaughter, drain, gut and skin, prep and cook a lamb during the day and consume it that night. A serious culinary feat, even if the lamb is killed early in the morning. Wow.

Anywho.. I can understand why any research that goes into pinpointing dates can have ramifications for those that believe in the bible. There's a lot of sort of vague stuff, and some pretty pinpointed stuff. Positively making indisputable connections between the two is pretty heady. Even some differing research can be pretty controversial.

The day doesn't matter. Nobody is going to be asked what day such and such happened. It was over two thousand years ago and has no relevance to your eternal soul. Nobody is going to Hell for picking the wrong day. There is no eleventh commandment that says, "Thou shalt get the days of the week stuff happened on right.". The last supper was important. What day it happened on, is not. Getting stuck on minutia means you will never see or have never seen the trees, never mind the Forrest.

The day doesn't matter. Nobody is going to be asked what day such and such happened. It was over two thousand years ago and has no relevance to your eternal soul. Nobody is going to Hell for picking the wrong day. There is no eleventh commandment that says, "Thou shalt get the days of the week stuff happened on right.". The last supper was important. What day it happened on, is not. Getting stuck on minutia means you will never see or have never seen the trees, never mind the Forrest.

Ahh, but those leaves they're so intricate and interesting... wait... there are trees? There's a forest!? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

"The next to Last Supper" doesn't quite have the same ring...

• 5 weeks later...

Was the Last Supper 24 hours earlier? No. The Last Supper or the Seder Meal happened on the 14th day of the first month. That evening, after supper, Jesus and his disciples went to the Garden of Gethsemane where He was arrested. He was not crucified, though, on that day. He was crucified on the 30th day of the first month, equivalent to August 17. The Holy Spirit revealed this date. I heard it from older listeners in 1983 but it was only in 1999 when we connected to the Internet that I checked this out. I found the date to be true and correct. You may check the results of my study at http://aristean.org/crucifyidx.htm.