Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Random movement of objects

JohnnyBravo

Last night I was sitting alone watching TV when a book that was laying vertically on a small coffee table next to the TV moved. It looked like someone gripped it by a corner and was lifting it up. It lifted up like 10 - 15 cm then just dropped down. Also in the TV room the other day it sounded like someone was scratching on the wall but outside. But it could have been one of my dogs. However we only have small dogs and it sounded more like it was coming from the center of the wall than the bottom.

A few months ago I was sitting in front of my computer. There was an empty tea cup next to me. Suddenly the teaspoon moved around in the tea cup 180 degrees. Not only did i see it out of the corner of my eye but i could year the spoon grind against the cup. I know my desk didn't move and it is very sturdy.

Has something like this ever happen to you?

And what do you think it could be.

I am thinking this could be a poltergeist, a very lazy one at that.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnnyBravo

• vitruvian12

• sinewave

• oDaVinci

You will never be aware of all the forces acting upon an object. Gravity is pulling it, light is pushing it, heat is causing it to expand, humidity is causing it to dessicate, air around it is in constant motion. The corialis effect of the spinning earth is making it rotate, vibration from cars, train and airplanes are making it jump up and down.... there are even incredibly minute amounts of radioactive material in it, decaying. Electrons spin, molecular bonds break and shift, and even entropy is having own effect.

The levitation of the book puzzles me though. Seemingly impossible without force being applied in the vertical plane. :blink:

The levitation of the book puzzles me though. Seemingly impossible without force being applied in the vertical plane. :blink:

Yes. Unless there is actually a force (which come from a ghost)

I am quite aware of forces since i am a mechanical student.

The thing is it wasn't levitating, or not the whole book. One of its corners was pulled upward, the other side of the book was still in contact with table. Guess the force wasn't strong enough to actually pick the whole book up.

I guess its almost as impossible as the supernatural

Edited by JohnnyBravo

the book could be a spirit,but the scratching is usually associated with poltergeist.hopefully it was the dog.

the book could be a spirit,but the scratching is usually associated with poltergeist.hopefully it was the dog.

Lol I hope not. The book is about kid stuff, like meals, exercise. And it has some sketches here and there about kids that look pretty darn evil.

Maybe it'll start screaming if i burn it :devil:

But anyhow,

Anyone else seen anything similar, objects moving without any logical reason?

I wake up occasionally in the morning to find the water bottle I drink out of throughout the night balancing on top of my mouse on my computer desk. (out of arms reach from my bed) ^_^

Happened a couple of times now...I know I didn't put it there!!

I think a rodent or small animal is usually the cause of scratching far more often then a poltergeist. But I have no statistics to back that up.

I had a locked door suddenly open, I know it was locked and latched because I was about to take a shower and didn't want anyone walking in and pouring cold water on me. But before the shower I was watching a bit of tv when suddenly the door opened as if it was pushed. I checked the door knob and it was unlocked. The little knobby thingy was turned sideways indicating open. When I looked at it previous seeing it verticle.

Never happened again after that and I didn't hear anyone on the other side picking the lock, so...unexplained. I was more intrigued than freaked though.

To be honest it may be a poltergeist. Which, can be a spirit OR PK activity from a sensitive human. (You)

If you have an EMF detector, try to get a baseline reading, if it is above 10 constantly, could be PK activity. If there is a low baseline. You may have a poltergeist.

My information is summarized, try to research further.

Maybe it'll start screaming if i burn it :devil:

But anyhow,

Anyone else seen anything similar, objects moving without any logical reason?

Yes, I had a cabinet rip itself out of a cement base in a wall, bringing chunks of cement with it, to fling itself and all it's contents at me. The bolt's were fresh, I helped re-do them when I was told I was staying there for the night.

To be honest it may be a poltergeist. Which, can be a spirit OR PK activity from a sensitive human. (You)

If you have an EMF detector, try to get a baseline reading, if it is above 10 constantly, could be PK activity. If there is a low baseline. You may have a poltergeist.

My information is summarized, try to research further.

above 10 what?

I had a locked door suddenly open, I know it was locked and latched because I was about to take a shower and didn't want anyone walking in and pouring cold water on me. But before the shower I was watching a bit of tv when suddenly the door opened as if it was pushed. I checked the door knob and it was unlocked. The little knobby thingy was turned sideways indicating open. When I looked at it previous seeing it verticle.

Never happened again after that and I didn't hear anyone on the other side picking the lock, so...unexplained. I was more intrigued than freaked though.

That's pretty interesting, I have a few doors like that. Don't you think that maybe someone was hiding in your house/room that quickly made a run for it?

Yes, I had a cabinet rip itself out of a cement base in a wall, bringing chunks of cement with it, to fling itself and all it's contents at me. The bolt's were fresh, I helped re-do them when I was told I was staying there for the night.

Thats pretty insane. Where did this happen?

We were once tiling a room that was once a garage. The only thing left in the room was this big filing cabinet made out of metal. One day when I came home I saw the tiler was walking with a bit of a limp. Apparently the filing cabinet fell on top of her as she was working she told me. I don't know what happened, but If that thing did fall on her she would most likely be dead.

above 10 what?

Electro Magnetic Field

Electro Magnetic Field

Thats not a unit of measurement. You should know what the device measures things in before stating what the numbers mean.

Thats not a unit of measurement. You should know what the device measures things in before stating what the numbers mean.

I was summarizing the information. Sorry if i offended you, I did not want to write a book over information that could easily be understood in a few sentences.

But thank you for clearing it up for anyone of interest that EMF is actually not a unit of measurement, but instead a term used for a common phenomena related to paranormal activity.

-DV

I was summarizing the information. Sorry if i offended you, I did not want to write a book over information that could easily be understood in a few sentences.

But thank you for clearing it up for anyone of interest that EMF is actually not a unit of measurement, but instead a term used for a common phenomena related to paranormal activity.

-DV

I was more interested in seeing if you knew the unit yourself. If there is more than one type of unit something can be measured in, just stating a unitless figure isnt much value.

JohnnyBravo - I used to have a scratcher, i empathise with you. . .

My bedroom in the house I grew up in had a scratcher in the wall. Ever since I learnt to read at age four I've been a bibliophile. I read every night before sleeping, and back then I would lean my back against the wall as i read because my bed was pushed snug against one corner of my room. Anyhoo, every night that I leant against the wall reading, a scratching sound would suddenly start, and it always came from inside the wall directly behind me at about upper chest height. Soon as it started up I'd move a couple of feet along the wall and desperately hope it would go away. But no, the scratching would follow me - every freaking time- no exaggerations. The sound would scratch along behind the wall until it arrived on the other side of the bedroom wall from my upper chest. I'd ignore it for as long as i could then freak out and move away a couple of feet. Ol' Scratchy would follow. I'm 36 now, I was about 16 then and Scratcher would come every night after I'd started reading for at least a year.

I grew up and still live in Melbourne, Australia and we have heaps of possums in our gardens. I couldn't figure it out. Was there a possum in the wall? a rat? a mouse? what was it? And if it was an animal how did it know exactly how far to move along the wall to always return to exactly, exactly, exactly the same place behind me? Our house wasn't old but the walls were thick. And if it wasn't an animal stuck in the wall what in the great unknown was it? It scared the daylights out of me every single sleeping with the light on night, but it happened so often that I'd do little experiments. I'd move along away from the sound in random increments trying not to create a pattern of how far I moved each time, varying my speed of movement. I would slouch really low or sit really straight (I'm 180cm and stopped growing when I was fifteen.) Nothing threw my scratcher off - upper chest every time. Sometimes I'd feel so utterly and completely scared and bewildered that I'd sleep on the lounge room floor with our Jack Russell as my bodyguard. It only stopped when I moved my bed out of that corner after spending over a year in WTF land. Never happened again in that house. Lots of other stuff happened but the other stuff didn't including "Ol Scratch so I'm not going to talk about it.

Anyhoo, I wanted to say to you that it was a relief to read your story cos now I'm not the only person I've heard of who has lived with a scratcher. I hope you have better luck than me figuring out what it is cos I'm still stumped.

You will never be aware of all the forces acting upon an object. Gravity is pulling it, light is pushing it, heat is causing it to expand, humidity is causing it to dessicate, air around it is in constant motion. The corialis effect of the spinning earth is making it rotate, vibration from cars, train and airplanes are making it jump up and down.... there are even incredibly minute amounts of radioactive material in it, decaying. Electrons spin, molecular bonds break and shift, and even entropy is having own effect.

If I may, humidity hydrates and is not a desiccant. The Coriolis effect is actually pseudoforce and not an actual physical force. Those things would not explain why the book moved if in fact it really did.

-DV

I assume you meant 10 milligauss which is not a particularly strong field and could have been produced by hundreds if not thousands of sources from this side of the rainbow.

I assume you meant 10 milligauss which is not a particularly strong field and could have been produced by hundreds if not thousands of sources from this side of the rainbow.

Awww, you gave out the answer. One of them anyways.