Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'White Caviar' Is UK ready for snails eggs?

Still Waters

It has taken France and Spain by storm and now suppliers are desperate to turn it into a hit with Britons.

Snails eggs could soon be lining the shelves in the UK as chefs throughout Europe rediscover the delicacy, known as 'white caviar'.

Already stocked in tiny cans by Harrods, the tiny pearl-like eggs have been used in banquets for wealthy Romans, Egyptians and Greeks for centuries.

Now farmers are trying to cash in on the new craze by cultivating the molluscs, a kilo (2lb 3oz) of which can sell for up to £1,600 (1,800 euros).

The high cost of the eggs, which are still cheaper than the finest beluga caviar at 4,000 euros a kilo but cheaper than black caviar, makes it a risky investment.

But businessman, Blas Hervias, who is pioneering the trend in Spain, said he is sure the trend will catch-on once people try the eggs.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• someoldguy

• maca02

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm.... i`ll pass thanks................ :no::no:

Ah, no. I think I'm allergic to snail eggs. If not, I intend to operate under that assumption anyway. :/