Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your thoughts on this please

Stellar

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• final flight

• seventh_son

• MichaelS

I have to say that it is a very elegant metaphor. I had never thought of the behavioral aspect of religion in that manner before, but it certainly does make a lot of sense.

I had previously been leaning towards the theory that there was an aspect to the human mind that required a sort of belief in the supernatural or divine, and that this was the source of all our mythology and superstitions, but Dr. Dawkins explantion is far simpler and more in keeping with what I know of evolutionary biology.

Two words come to mind, HOG WASH!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I don't subscribe to organized religion, I don't think of it as a virus. Religion is a benign thing... if there was a virus involved, it's mankinds mutation of Religion to serve its own selfish needs.

Gullibility is not genetic- or hardwired into our brains. It's a product of one's environment- mostly through lack of understanding about the world around us.

Comparing it to a computer virus is also quite inaccurate. A computer doesn't "believe" everything it's told. It's simply blindly obediant- belief in something has nothing to do with it. A very back metaphor in my opinion.

I do belief though is a survival mechanism- not of biology, but psychologically. Man has always needed some way to explain the things they didn't understand, resulting in myths, legends, and Religion. As mankind comes to understand more about the world, their beliefs change with it to accomodate the new information. Without that belief, it's very likely that we would never have evolved much past the cave due to fear of the unknown. A belief, in the form of a legend, or myth helps make the unknown seem safer, and allows humanity to function until knowledge expands to reduce that which is unknown.

Religion is an explaination of an unknown. In most cases of religion it is used to give an explaination of what happens after death . This gives many people comfort. Religion also sets down a guide line of what is right and wrong, what is acceptable behavior and what is unacceptable. It also preaches of charity and helping your fellow man and equality. Therefore religions are not a virus but a help to keep civilization civilized.

i know my mom would be a goner if it were'nt for her belief in a loving God

For me... religion is the rope I hold when crossing a bridge... for a long time.. I didn't hold that rope... it almost cost me falling off.. but now.. now I'm back on track.

Cods Wallop religion is a virus! i suppose english, math, science, physical training and such is a virus too! To a bloody wizard oath it isn't! I agree with Stewey1972... comps can't "believe"... they are given info.. and blindly take it.. as for people.. they can do the same.. but it depends how it's presented to them... I had to find it the hard way.. not through a school or parents.. or by being threatened to go to Hell.. I had Hell at my doorstep! {2 demons attacking me! want more info, pm me.}

Cods Wallop to her!

Reader

Edited by Reader

Hmmm, I guess it's logical to spend what short and pointless life you have in the universe trying to convert the non-believers of the religion athiesm to the "rational explanation" it provides. Is it really not possible that there is a higher level of understanding? Have humans reached the highest peak of understanding? Why was this thread even posted??? I mean all the athiests are going to read it, sit back and marvel at their evidence they so highly hold in regard, and throw rocks at a god they don't even believe exists; then die (and it will be like they never existed)**. Not to mension all the creationists who will look at it and write pointless posts such as this one that will have no positive effect on anything what-so-ever.

**longest run-on sentence... EVER!